Custom tall boots
   

       The Horse Forum > Showing Horses > Horse Show Clothing

Custom tall boots

This is a discussion on Custom tall boots within the Horse Show Clothing forums, part of the Showing Horses category
  • Forum what brands of tall boots to show people ride in?
  • How much are custom derdau boots

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-04-2012, 08:19 PM
  #1
Green Broke
Custom tall boots

I've pretty much given up on finding off-the-shelf tall boots to fit my short, stubby legs, and am starting to look into custom boots.

Several of the online tack stores offer custom boot ordering kits (Der Dau, Vogel, etc.) where you take a bunch of measurements yourself, send them in to the manufacturer with an outrageous sum of money, and they send you back a pair of boots that hopefully fit you really, really well.

Has anyone done one of these kits? Were the instructions, options, and pricing clear? Were you happy with the boots?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-04-2012, 08:43 PM
  #2
Trained
Are you looking for field boots or dress boots??

As far as for dress boots your best bet is to find a dealer and get measured, and this will usually end up being for one of the more mainstream brands like Petrie or Konig. I have Rectilignes which do have a short option and because they are not full custom were not as ridiculous for price.
Even if you do get measured for Der Daus so not expect them to come in and have any semblance to what you ordered. Based on the experiences people I know have had with the company they are best to be avoided.

For field boots I have no suggestions.. Good luck!
     
    04-04-2012, 09:31 PM
  #3
Banned
When it comes to custom boots, Dehner is the first and last word.

Some of the Europeans make good boots, but the time zone and language barrier make it a deal breaker for me.

With Dehner, you can get on the phone and speak to someone in American English at any reasonable hour. And they will make your boots right until you are happy with them.
WickedNag likes this.
     
    04-05-2012, 01:44 AM
  #4
Banned
I have the opposite problem to the OP I am tall and way skinny.

What's the average cost of custom boots? Not the measure yourself stuff, the go to someone and trust them stuff.

OP sorry to ask a question in your thread, I thought that maybe the answer might be useful to you as well.
     
    04-05-2012, 06:16 AM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS    
What's the average cost of custom boots? Not the measure yourself stuff, the go to someone and trust them stuff.
Bespoke Dehners start at $750. Dehner has a thorough explanation (with photos) on their website explaining how to get measured for a good fit.
     
    04-05-2012, 09:12 AM
  #6
Weanling
I have Der Dau customs. I ordered them through Dover. It was a nightmare. I had to send them back 3 times. Then I finally went and found the Der Dau tent at Rolex last year and talked to the guy. He remeasured me himself and personally took care of it. Then I got a phone call saying there was a fire at their office and my boots burned in it and they were going to make me a brand new pair. Now, 4 years after originally ordering them, I have my boots. They are super nice, but are taking forever to break in. I have tried every trick I know. It was an ordeal, but I think having a pair of boots that fit like a glove is worth it. If I had to do it over again I would have probably gone with Parlanti boots though.
     
    04-06-2012, 01:06 AM
  #7
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
Are you looking for field boots or dress boots??

As far as for dress boots your best bet is to find a dealer and get measured, and this will usually end up being for one of the more mainstream brands like Petrie or Konig. I have Rectilignes which do have a short option and because they are not full custom were not as ridiculous for price.
I'm looking for dress boots. I haven't heard of Petrie or Konig... I couldn't find the webpage for Konig, but it doesn't seem like Petrie sells in the U.S.

I've tried short boots, but they tend to be too skinny, or they fit in the calf but they're too big in the ankle, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot    
When it comes to custom boots, Dehner is the first and last word.
They seem promising. Really pricey, but there're a couple dealers within an hour of where I live. Do the dealers tend to have samples of the leather and photos of the different options on hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS    
OP sorry to ask a question in your thread, I thought that maybe the answer might be useful to you as well.
No worries I already knew the answer was something outrageously high, but probably less than my horse... when he's wearing his saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by countercanter    
I have Der Dau customs. I ordered them through Dover. It was a nightmare. I had to send them back 3 times. Then I finally went and found the Der Dau tent at Rolex last year and talked to the guy. He remeasured me himself and personally took care of it. Then I got a phone call saying there was a fire at their office and my boots burned in it and they were going to make me a brand new pair. Now, 4 years after originally ordering them, I have my boots. They are super nice, but are taking forever to break in. I have tried every trick I know. It was an ordeal, but I think having a pair of boots that fit like a glove is worth it. If I had to do it over again I would have probably gone with Parlanti boots though.
Yikes. That's the kind of experience I'm afraid of having with the do-it-yourself measuring kits!
     
    04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
  #8
Weanling
Dealing with the bookmaker themselves was not an issue, they were great and very helpful. I think the flaw to my plan was ordering them through Dover who has the worst customer service.
     
    04-06-2012, 10:28 AM
  #9
Trained
Petrie and Konig are the big names and both sell profusely in the US. Most tack (dressage) stores will carry either boot. They both have full and semi custom options are are the most popular or well known boots in the US.
With the Rectiligne boot they have different calf sizes, and you can add the short option. It does not make the boot any skinnier to add the short option. These are by far the least expensive, nice dress boots I have found if you fit into a stock boot, but with all the options they offer it is not tough. They do not do custom orders.

If you want to go full custom and don't mind paying the price (over a Petrie or Konig boot) Dehners are good but Kempkens are the best boot money can buy you, but they do run over and above $1500 though. Vogel and La Mundial are other companies to look at.

Good luck!
     
    04-06-2012, 10:43 AM
  #10
Started
What size are you? I have a pair of dehners that i'd be happy to sell!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First tall boots! BunnyPilgrimCritter3 Horse Show Clothing 10 04-09-2012 03:06 AM
Schooling chaps, Custom Chaps, western bridle, event vest, Ariat Tall winter boots franknbeans Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 01-09-2012 05:57 PM
Tall boots too..tall? jfisher256 Horse Show Clothing 5 08-14-2011 12:21 AM
I need new tall boots! Quixotic English Riding 18 06-19-2011 06:49 PM
Tall Boots sprankle32 Horse Tack and Equipment 1 09-22-2007 06:39 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0