How to choose the right horse?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Showing Horses > Horse Showmanship

How to choose the right horse?

This is a discussion on How to choose the right horse? within the Horse Showmanship forums, part of the Showing Horses category
  • How to choose the right height horse
  • How to choose the right horse for you

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-13-2010, 03:30 PM
  #1
Showing
How to choose the right horse?

Is there such a thing? I know for essentially all disciplines, there are things to look for when searching for the right horse, whether it be conformation, temper/personality, training, height, color etc etc...

Conformation would be an obvious one, and I know there are breed specific shows, but what are some of the things to look for when looking for the right halter show horse? What are things that you really need to inquire about, ask about, search into?

Thanks for all the input!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-13-2010, 06:29 PM
  #2
Weanling
In a HALTER class, it's all about conformation. You can touch your horse and everything, because they are just being judged on the horse that shows the best confo/type for that breed. Almost every breed has a halter class, and I'm not sure on what other breeds require, but for stock horse types, it's about being like.. a quarter horse type. Stocky, compact, straight... That goes for appys, paints, and quarter horses. They have to be able to stand square.

For SHOWMANSHIP, it's judged on how well you show the horse. Confo counts for some, in certain shows, but not a lot. The scoring usually goes like this: The appearance of the horse is 40 points: 15 for condition and thriftiness, 20 for grooming, and 5 for tack. Showing the horse is 50 points: Ring deportment is 10, actions are 10, leading is 15, and posing is 15. And last, the exhibitor is 10 points: 5 for appearance, and 5 for attitude.

Basically, you're looking for a horse with the best possible confo, a lot of eye appeal, willingness, and trainablity, IMHO.
     
    03-13-2010, 09:01 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nita    
In a HALTER class, it's all about conformation. You can touch your horse and everything, because they are just being judged on the horse that shows the best confo/type for that breed. Almost every breed has a halter class, and I'm not sure on what other breeds require, but for stock horse types, it's about being like.. a quarter horse type. Stocky, compact, straight... That goes for appys, paints, and quarter horses. They have to be able to stand square.

For SHOWMANSHIP, it's judged on how well you show the horse. Confo counts for some, in certain shows, but not a lot. The scoring usually goes like this: The appearance of the horse is 40 points: 15 for condition and thriftiness, 20 for grooming, and 5 for tack. Showing the horse is 50 points: Ring deportment is 10, actions are 10, leading is 15, and posing is 15. And last, the exhibitor is 10 points: 5 for appearance, and 5 for attitude.

Basically, you're looking for a horse with the best possible confo, a lot of eye appeal, willingness, and trainablity, IMHO.
Sounds like showmanship is pretty much a beauty pageant! LOL.
     
    03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
  #4
Showing
Great info!
     
    03-13-2010, 11:10 PM
  #5
Weanling
Haha aintnocitygirl! No kidding, that's basically what it is!
     
    03-14-2010, 05:19 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Sounds like showmanship is pretty much a beauty pageant! LOL.
Indeed. When you've got a white horse who is cleaned to the nines, and has great training, you'll never lose. It's just really hard getting some of those stains off darn it!
     
    03-15-2010, 12:39 AM
  #7
Foal
Speaking of getting stains off whites, any tricks? Last minute, he laid in a pile of poo and got a stain the night before a show, ideas? Home type remedies, not the $$ bottles stuff, tried it, not impressed.
     
    03-16-2010, 11:02 AM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetz    
Speaking of getting stains off whites, any tricks? Last minute, he laid in a pile of poo and got a stain the night before a show, ideas? Home type remedies, not the $$ bottles stuff, tried it, not impressed.
Vinegar works sometimes. Just pour some on a paper towl & rub the spot with it.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which would you choose? WildHeartsCantBeBroken General Off Topic Discussion 7 12-15-2008 07:30 PM
Does a horse choose the person? NoFear526 Horse Talk 3 09-30-2008 11:21 PM
Who Would YOU Choose? FutureVetGirl Horse Riding Critique 29 09-02-2008 07:46 AM
Who would you choose? What2Do Horse Riding Critique 23 08-19-2008 04:01 AM
Which horse should I choose? SableRose Horses for Sale 9 02-05-2008 12:41 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0