Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: College Station, Texas
Well... I don't do showmanship in the english circuit .I do western showmanship. But a few tricks that I have been told by my trainer who is a well known aqha judge and trainer :
1. SMILE, even if no one else in your class is.. the job in showmanship is to "sell" your perfect horse. You have to look like it is a pleasure to show and be around.
2. Make it flow, but don't rush it !
3. When being inspected, check your horses feet and then check the judge.. so glance look at your horses feet and then glance at the judge at every switch you do as they walk around. It shows that your checking your horse and also paying attention to them.
4. Say thank you, or nod when they dismiss you.
5. When done with your pattern, or say you trot off as the last piece of your pattern, look back and nod at the judge, they are waiting for you to "thank them" .
6. Keep your arms down . The "tray" is great, but don't hold the tray up high!
7. No matter what! Bad set up, anything, SMILE and act like it is no big deal!
8. Make sure your horse is groomed and you are too
9. Showsheen showsheen showsheen!!!!
10. HAVE FUN