Showing a gaited horse at a local open show...
   

       The Horse Forum > Showing Horses > Horse Showmanship

Showing a gaited horse at a local open show...

This is a discussion on Showing a gaited horse at a local open show... within the Horse Showmanship forums, part of the Showing Horses category
  • 5 gaited horse showmanship
  • Horse show breed long mane

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-27-2010, 04:19 PM
  #1
Started
Showing a gaited horse at a local open show...

I'm going to show in both halter and showmanship.

My question is... how much 'gaited' should I put into my presentation? Should I show her exactly how she'd be shown at a breed show, or should I 'quarter horse' her up a little to please the judges?

She has a long mane and I'm not pulling it - should I leave it down or do a running braid? It would be left down at a breed show.

Should I put the MFT ribbons in her mane and forelock or leave them out?


Should I stand her square like a QH or slightly parked out like a MFT?




Thanks for reading : )
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-27-2010, 04:25 PM
  #2
Started
Also, should I braid her forelock or leave it down? You can do either one at breed shows...
     
    08-27-2010, 04:25 PM
  #3
Yearling
I would do slightly gaited, I would definitely park her. And keep the ribbons in her mane Do not QH that beautiful horse.
     
    08-27-2010, 04:29 PM
  #4
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaLynn    
I would do slightly gaited, I would definitely park her. And keep the ribbons in her mane Do not QH that beautiful horse.
Thanks! : )
     
    08-27-2010, 04:34 PM
  #5
Banned
I would rock her out gaited style. Braids and all. Heres my silly reasoning.

In showmanship/halter they are going to be looking at her conformation. To me, perfect confo on a QH and perfect confo on a MFT are different. If the judge doesnt know, why not give them a hint? A big one. LOL Its not like she carries around a sign that says "Not a QH...gaited!"
     
    08-27-2010, 04:40 PM
  #6
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinowalk    
I would rock her out gaited style. Braids and all. Heres my silly reasoning.

In showmanship/halter they are going to be looking at her conformation. To me, perfect confo on a QH and perfect confo on a MFT are different. If the judge doesnt know, why not give them a hint? A big one. LOL Its not like she carries around a sign that says "Not a QH...gaited!"
Haha, that's very true. Although she will be carrying a sign of sorts when they ask me to trot her ; )
     
    08-27-2010, 05:07 PM
  #7
Banned
LOL if they are predominantly QH judges they would probably DQ you for having a 'lame' horse! J/k In my experience showing gaited horses against trotting horses (not the fox trot ofcourse!) Normal show people are a bit oblivious that there are other breeds of horses out there. Sometimes its nice to show them! And you've got a great horse to do it with!
     
    08-27-2010, 05:14 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinowalk    
LOL if they are predominantly QH judges they would probably DQ you for having a 'lame' horse! J/k In my experience showing gaited horses against trotting horses (not the fox trot ofcourse!) Normal show people are a bit oblivious that there are other breeds of horses out there. Sometimes its nice to show them! And you've got a great horse to do it with!
I'm actually kind of afraid of being DQd for having a lame horse, haha. Especially because her gait is diagonal and kind of looks like a normal trot... except that you can tell something is a little 'off,' and of course her head is bobbing.

Thanks for the help! I think I will go all out : )
     
    08-27-2010, 05:21 PM
  #9
Yearling
Put that she is gaited on your entry form. Do they have a gaited division?
     
    08-27-2010, 05:48 PM
  #10
Started
No, they don't... It's just a small, local PtHA/APHA show. I'm not sure what the entry forms will look like, but I'll write it down if there's a place for it. Thanks!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TWH showing @ local level farmpony84 Gaited Horses 0 03-31-2010 01:26 PM
Showing at local fairs dynamite. Western Riding 3 09-27-2009 11:19 AM
Gaited western showing twogeldings Western Riding 7 05-16-2009 12:27 PM
Open schooling horse show! huntseat7 Horse Talk 0 04-07-2009 08:03 PM
Pictures from Washington International Horse Show (Local Day Weekend) Supermane Horse Pictures 4 10-19-2008 10:42 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0