English classes for the horse with a high headset?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Showing Horses > Horse Shows

English classes for the horse with a high headset?

This is a discussion on English classes for the horse with a high headset? within the Horse Shows forums, part of the Showing Horses category
  • How to tell which class to put horse in pleasure or hus
  • Horse headsets

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-02-2010, 10:45 PM
  #1
Yearling
English classes for the horse with a high headset?

Starlite always has carried her head high, it raises undersaddle but is still naturally high on the ground. I've gotten her to lower it, to the point she might actually be able to look something close to a HUS horse, but it's not consistent (it's a work in progress, I'm asking for if she has a consistent headset that ends up being higher than what is popular in alot of english shows)

Of course I know she needs training to help find where her head needs to be, like I said it is a work in progress. If she holds her head nice while moving correctly and comfortably but it ends up not being low, I'm not going to ask her to lower it. I'm really just looking for her to move correct and comfortable, I'm not aiming for any type of certain look.

IS there showing for those horses with higher headsets? I mean, I know there's dressage but there is none of that around here really, plus it'll take alot longer to train for (which I hope to anyway, but I'd like to show before that also). I'm sure I'm not the only one with a horse that likes her head to be high, not low. I'm just not overly exposed to showing, obviously LOL.

How she carries her head in the paddock:




This is the most recent riding picture I have, taken in October (I haven't been riding alot this winter). This is her usually headset (PLEASE remember I said her training is still a work in progress! No critiques, I just want this to be about shows not my riding)


But we've gotten to this point before...



It's just that nice, low headset isn't common for her. She usually only moves like that when she is TOTALLY relaxed, after a nice trail ride. She gets hyped up at shows (she's only been to one, she needs more exposure) so I really can't ever see her carrying her head like that at a show.

So, my question is...are there types of showing for those horses with higher headsets? I always thought in jumping headset doesn't matter (I mean, as long as the horses nose isn't sticking straight out or anything) but I'm not positive. I'm looking for more of a flat class as I'm hoping to do w/t with her this year, her canter still needs alot of work and we probably won't be able to canter at a show for a while.

Sorry this was so long LOL, I always have a simple question but turn it into this nice long novel for people.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-02-2010, 11:01 PM
  #2
Weanling
Pleasure is your best bet. Or Equitation.

When I think of classes specifically with horses with higher headsets I think of Arab shows and Saddlebred/NSH those kind of horses but you're horse wouldn't be able to compete in those unless she was actually that breed.
     
    02-02-2010, 11:04 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void    
Pleasure is your best bet. Or Equitation.

When I think of classes specifically with horses with higher headsets I think of Arab shows and Saddlebred/NSH those kind of horses but you're horse wouldn't be able to compete in those unless she was actually that breed.
I see, someone else told me she'd probably make a good pleasure horse. Equitation wouldn't be so much not her thing as it would not my thing, my left arm is shorter/weaker than my right and my wrist kinda...hangs weird when I ride, so I know that won't look too hot in Eq. LOL

And she's Standardbred/Quarter Horse so we're limited to the open shows, which is fine by me as I'm not looking to get too much into showing but would like to do a little bit.
     
    02-02-2010, 11:26 PM
  #4
Yearling
Is she gaited at all?
     
    02-02-2010, 11:30 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlicata    
Is she gaited at all?
Nope, she's not.
     
    02-03-2010, 10:53 PM
  #6
Weanling
I agree with Void in entering pleasure or eq shows.
Your horse is super cute but doesn't have that "hunter" look that will allow her to place well in hunter shows or hack classes. However, if you want to pursue jumping with her your best bet would be jumper shows. Jumpers doesn't judge a horse on what it looks like so if she's fast, careful and scopey she can do great at jumpers!
     
    02-04-2010, 02:17 AM
  #7
Yearling
I don't think this is an issue of showing, just a little riding quirk. I also own a horse that stands around on his own with his head high most of the time, and a lot of it has to do with the horse's state of mind. When they are alert, excited, angry, nervous, or scared, they brace their neck and their head goes up.The relaxed frame shown is what your horse is more comfortable in because he is calm, relaxed, and listening to you. It also develops the top line muscles in the neck and back. Strive for this, and you can do well in any discipline-EP, dressage, jumping, you name it. A quick hint: look at the differences in your position of when she has her head high vs when it is relaxed. For example, notice in the high head pictures, the line from her mouth to your arm is broken-you are both bracing together. In the relaxed pictures it is the same line, you are both loose, supple, and synchronized.
     
    02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by blush    
I agree with Void in entering pleasure or eq shows.
Your horse is super cute but doesn't have that "hunter" look that will allow her to place well in hunter shows or hack classes. However, if you want to pursue jumping with her your best bet would be jumper shows. Jumpers doesn't judge a horse on what it looks like so if she's fast, careful and scopey she can do great at jumpers!
I would like to do some jumping with her, I just assumed I'd never be able to show her for jumping LOL.

This is the most recent picture I have jumping her undersaddle but I don't think it would be completely fair to judge based on it as I'm not too fantastic at jumping, plus we don't jump alot at all since we still need to perfect flat work.


This is her jumping on the lunge line.


Quote:
Originally Posted by roro    
I don't think this is an issue of showing, just a little riding quirk. I also own a horse that stands around on his own with his head high most of the time, and a lot of it has to do with the horse's state of mind. When they are alert, excited, angry, nervous, or scared, they brace their neck and their head goes up.The relaxed frame shown is what your horse is more comfortable in because he is calm, relaxed, and listening to you. It also develops the top line muscles in the neck and back. Strive for this, and you can do well in any discipline-EP, dressage, jumping, you name it. A quick hint: look at the differences in your position of when she has her head high vs when it is relaxed. For example, notice in the high head pictures, the line from her mouth to your arm is broken-you are both bracing together. In the relaxed pictures it is the same line, you are both loose, supple, and synchronized.
I agree, I definitely think alot of her issues...are really MY issues. I think the reason for such the difference in those pictures is the weather, the one where I look tense...I probably am because of the cold.
     
    02-04-2010, 02:31 PM
  #9
Yearling
If anyone was wondering what her movement was like, here is a video of her trotting undersaddle. This was back in summer, you can definitely see the headset is inconsistent but you can get an idea of how she moves.

     
    02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
  #10
Weanling
I think you're on the right track, and no matter what you show in... exposure is good. I showed my boy, Zip, before I became serious about eventing, so that he would be calm in a high-energy setting. I believe she could be a nice jumper, with enough training. Zip also used to have a high natural headset- it's just time and patience and work to get where you want to be. I definitely think you're on the right track!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English Classes? rodeogirl309 English Riding 7 02-10-2009 12:02 AM
English Saddle For The High Withered Horse whitetrashwarmblood Horse Tack and Equipment 10 11-26-2008 03:56 PM
headset at home.. no headset at the show. HELP. QHclaire Horse Training 3 08-09-2008 08:20 AM
Is this right? (English classes) blossom856 Horse Shows 1 08-08-2008 10:49 AM
English saddle for a high withered TB blossom856 Horse Tack and Equipment 13 07-19-2008 07:22 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0