#1: Do I use hoof polish?
Stick with clear only. #2 Do I clip a bridle path?
Yes #3 Do I clip her face?
Western & Saddleseat - Yes. English Huntseat & Dressage: Nose and mouth optional, under the face and throat latch, yes. #4 Do I braid fleets? Western
- Band the mane English Huntseat
- Tiny jumper braids English Dressage
- Button braids Saddleseat
- Usually natural with the single braid. #5 What type of halter would be appropriate? Could I use a halter like this its the nicest one on hand I have.
Despite being called a halter class, you may actually show in a bridle but it depends on your primary riding style and it depends on the type of show. (Breed, USDF etc.). Its if just an open or schooling show, even though its a halter class you need to select your primary discipline you horse WOULD show in, English or Western.
If you choose Western
you need a leather and silver blingy halter and you will wear full western show clothes except for chaps.
If you choose English
, horses over 2 are show in a bridle. You can use reins or a newmarket lead.
Only horses under
2 are show in a halter, and it should be a simple leather only halter. I am a fan of National Bridles show halter: http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-0070.htm
And the based on the subset you would choose the correct brow brand: Halter
- Plain simple leather Dressage
- Leather with subtle, bling Saddleseat
- Bright colored patent leather or shiny vinyl.
The only exception to this is Arabians which are allowed to use the fancy breed halters.
For English you would wear: Huntseat
- Full English habit but "show casual" is usually acceptable (Show casual: tan breeches and a light colored polo shirt) Dressage
- White or khaki pants and a polo shirt that contrasts with your horse usually also white but if you're showing a grey horse Navy, Burgundy or Black is acceptable. Saddleseat
- Either same as dressage or Saddleseat show clothes without the coat (shadbelly/vest, shirt & pants.