Show Horse Abuse - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 72Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: new york state
Posts: 1,715
• Horses: 1
this is not the first time that the TWH association has been under the light about 15 yrs ago there were told that a vet must be on site to check horses for soring, you think that other breed association would clean up there act so this dose not happen to them, well they do not get it, if the judges stop give ribbons to the horse that do not show neurally them the money would stop and they would stop keep doing what you are doing and the govermaent will tell you how it will be.

ride a draft and see the world differently
loveduffy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 112
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Watching any horse/trainers at a show does not tell you the whole story, even if you watch them the whole day. You do not know the history, personality of the horse, etc. But, again, if you think it is abuse, go to the show officials and report it.
Then all I can say in response to that is that IN MY OPINION, no human being who cares for horses should treat so many horses that way so often, despite the circumstances. I think if someone wants to justify that they can spend multiple days riding multiple horses like that and not be mistreating them, then they obviously don't truly care for their horses.
RosiePosie06 is offline  
post #13 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 112
• Horses: 2
And again you say I don't know the history of the horse, well once the amount turns into five + horses being treated the exact same way. Then I begin to question not only history but the integreity of the human.
RosiePosie06 is offline  
post #14 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 112
• Horses: 2
Quote:
this is not the first time that the TWH association has been under the light about 15 yrs ago there were told that a vet must be on site to check horses for soring, you think that other breed association would clean up there act so this dose not happen to them, well they do not get it, if the judges stop give ribbons to the horse that do not show neurally them the money would stop and they would stop keep doing what you are doing and the govermaent will tell you how it will be.
The western pleasure circuit has the same problem with paralyzing tails. It's illegal and against the rules, but SO MANY horses do not have full use of their tails. I haven't seen or heard of anyone getting in trouble for it, despite the rules being entirely against it. Plus if paralyzing a part of your horse is not cruelty, then I don't know what is.
KissTheRing likes this.
RosiePosie06 is offline  
post #15 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,378
• Horses: 2
Quote:
First, "abuse" seems to be a new "fad" word of sorts.
A-MEN -- right up there with "rescue".
franknbeans and DimSum like this.
themacpack is offline  
post #16 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ~*~ NEBRASKA ~*~
Posts: 4,367
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I don't think that all showing is abusive, I just think it's counterproductive. The original purpose of showing was to evaluate horses for breeding - and it's not even the best way of doing that - but now it's just about bragging rights and money.
I want to start with, I respect your opinion, it is yours to have. Although I may not agree with it completely, I do know there are a lot of people who show for the reasons of Money or bragging.

I however LOVE to show my horse. I am not looking for bragging rights, and I don't get any money out of it, in fact... I loose money ha ha.

Why do I show? Well, here is my reason. I bought my horse as a 7 year old pasture pet that had for all intents and purposes, been given up on. He had a history of an abusive "30 day training" and bucking people off after that. Then I bought him and reworked him from the ground up. I decided to go with dressage to teach him to move more properly, use his body, an be balanced. I show him dressage because I like to see that we both are improving. Most people say our scores SUCK. But I think my horse is great because each show we get a higher score...

As for abuse. I saw it at some shows when I lived in California. I have NEVER seen it here in Nebraska. In fact, they are pretty strict about that out here. Not just show officials but the people at the shows. Yes you often have to know the whole story, but people are not afraid to ask "what is going on that you need to do that to your horse?" I've seen trainers help people who aren't their students at a show because they see an issue escalating to where the rider is just freaking out. I have been mostly to dressage shows, but I have also been to some of the APHA shows, and AQHA shows... I think the most abusive thing I have seen out here is an occasional "bump" with the reins...and most of those people get yelled at by their trainers for it too.

I think if everyone all over decided to SPEAK UP at shows, ask questions, let show authorities know what is going on, then there would be a lot less abuse at shows. It works here in Nebraska, so why not other places. I think a person who sees someone doing something abusive but doesn't speak up or at least question what is going on, is just as bad as the abuser themself.
themacpack and PaintedShanty like this.
Cinnys Whinny is offline  
post #17 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vidor, Texas
Posts: 2,805
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny View Post
I think if everyone all over decided to SPEAK UP at shows, ask questions, let show authorities know what is going on, then there would be a lot less abuse at shows. It works here in Nebraska, so why not other places. I think a person who sees someone doing something abusive but doesn't speak up or at least question what is going on, is just as bad as the abuser themself.
I think sometimes people want to give the trainer/rider the benefit of the doubt and don't say anything. The shows I've been to are VERY clickish and that might intimidate someone from speaking up.
RosiePosie06 likes this.
gigem88 is offline  
post #18 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,618
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem88 View Post
I think sometimes people want to give the trainer/rider the benefit of the doubt and don't say anything. The shows I've been to are VERY clickish and that might intimidate someone from speaking up.
Yeah. Some trainers you don't ever want to cross because they'll tell you to your face that they'll slash your trailer tires or hurt your horse during the night...

Personally, it's just too much energy for me to be wasting on seeing and judging what other people are doing. I get riled up every once and a while, but when I realize there's nothing I can do about it, it's just so. I tend to believe that the universe will work itself out in a certain way, and that everybody is followed by karma (Rita Crundwell, for example). Even though their horses may be pushed past the limit and winning championships, you can't expect a person like that to be a very happy person inside. These trainers smoke and drink and swear and sleep with their youth clients... You can tell that these forms of questionable "abuse" come from a place where they desperately are looking to fit in and be special because they are lacking in their personal lives. And it's hard to "make it big" in the horse industry. Sometimes you got to do things you don't want to in order to earn a living. I think that the registries and the judges are slowly improving to create better standards for horses and riders.

All I can do is concentrate on my own training. I incorporate natural horsemanship. I take the time to train things, which may take twice as long as trainers. I want my horses to be sound and happy, and I want to win on my terms. There's something to say about struggle that makes winning that much more sweet. If I resorted to hanky-shank and won a bunch of classes, I wouldn't feel nearly as good about myself, personally. They would be empty wins in comparison to taking the extra year to finesse pressure and release. It would make it even more sweet to be the one person with a level neck and uncanted lope who gets placed above everyone else. Because it wasn't "hurry up and make it win and on to the next horse when it's crippled", it would be a bonding experience and true horsemanship.
RosiePosie06 likes this.


oh vair oh is offline  
post #19 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,613
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny View Post
I decided to go with dressage to teach him to move more properly, use his body, an be balanced. I show him dressage because I like to see that we both are improving.
Dressage is not included in my definition of showing (see my original post). Dressage is more subjective than most sports, but it's still in the sport category because it tests learned skills as opposed to just way of going.
ponyboy is offline  
post #20 of 68 Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ~*~ NEBRASKA ~*~
Posts: 4,367
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Dressage is not included in my definition of showing (see my original post). Dressage is more subjective than most sports, but it's still in the sport category because it tests learned skills as opposed to just way of going.
Actually I'll have to argue with that. Cinny gets marked way down ALL the time because of his way of going and the fact that he has not built up his topline so that he can carry himself properly :)
Cinnys Whinny is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is Horse Abuse? Lakotababii Horse Talk 18 01-03-2011 12:13 PM
Horse Abuse... I Think Lovehorsesandrunning Horse Grooming 33 02-14-2010 03:58 PM
Horse abuse LoveTheSaddlebreds Horse Videos 4 01-11-2010 04:55 PM
Horse Abuse! ChingazMyBoy Horse Videos 16 07-12-2009 06:35 PM
Horse abuse child in time Horse Protection 35 10-29-2007 10:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome