Anyone Familiar With This Bit?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Anyone Familiar With This Bit?

This is a discussion on Anyone Familiar With This Bit? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

    Like Tree16Likes

    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-03-2012, 11:42 PM
    Anyone Familiar With This Bit?

    Snaffle Bit for Horse

    I have never seen anything like this, anyone able to explain to me what is happening when you put this in your horses mouth? The twisted mouthpiece worries me abit and I am not interested in buying it, just curious ya know? Thanks@!
    Sponsored Links
        10-03-2012, 11:48 PM

    You pull on one shank and the joint pinches.

    You pull on both shanks and the bit pinches and puts pressure on the roof of the horse's mouth.

    Oh and did I mention those shanks are long, so that's at least 8x the pressure on the face for every 1 pound of pressure. I think those shanks look longer than 8'' though.

    Personally, I don't like any single joints on shanks. But, some are better than others. This is not one of those.

    Oh and it's not a snaffle. That is a shank bit. Anything with shanks is a curb bit.
    DrumRunner likes this.
        10-03-2012, 11:48 PM
    It looks like it could create poll pressure as well as pressure on the mouth.. but I know nothing about bits really. Just the way the shanks are make me think that,
        10-04-2012, 12:10 AM
    I bet it is a gaited horse bit. I do not see how the straight bars would make any difference on the amount of poll pressure , though. I wonder if they are there to keep it from bending , or if you put two reins on; one on the ring at the bottom of the shank, as normal, and one that can slide up and down that straight bar. All specualtion on my part, as I have never seen anything like it before.
        10-04-2012, 12:15 AM
    Tiny- the way i'm picturing that working is if the headstall were to be attached at the top ring and reins on the bottom, then that bottom ring is pulled, it looks like it would create poll pressure as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device
        10-04-2012, 12:19 AM
    It looks like a gaited horse bit, with the really long shanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device
        10-04-2012, 01:09 AM
    Anything with a shank creates poll pressure. That I forgot to mention.

    Oh and with a chin srap there will be chin pressure too.
        10-04-2012, 01:27 AM
    LOL. Snaffle.

    Yeah.. No.
        10-04-2012, 01:44 AM
    JDI - I saw a chain correction mouthpiece bit with 7'' shanks called a "snaffle" today on the facebook Bit Swap page. I could not even dignify it with a correction.... Just thought you might get a kick out of that.
        10-04-2012, 01:47 AM
    Super Moderator
    OUCH! That is one nasty harsh bit. You'll never see it in MY tack room!

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:


    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Anyone familiar with Clyde x TB? Golden Horse Horse Breeds 16 04-10-2012 07:58 AM
    Does this guy look familiar to anyone? Alcatrazjmpr Horse Pictures 4 09-24-2010 07:24 PM
    A familiar story! Marecare Horse Training 8 01-06-2010 01:19 PM
    Is anyone on here familiar with Redmond, Oregon? TipTop Horse Shows 0 01-16-2009 06:37 PM

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.

    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0