Anyone know what these horrific bits are called??

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Anyone know what these horrific bits are called??

This is a discussion on Anyone know what these horrific bits are called?? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Pictures of Million Dollar Bit
  • Josey million dollar bit

LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Anyone know what these horrific bits are called??

So, I was at a show, photographing the Showjumpers, and wow do they use one heck on a mechanism on there horses!

They don't look they are killing the horses like some bits, but they sure are looking pretty **** harsh, and putting a lot of pressure on different places...

So anyone know what there called?? Or ones similar are called?

1st - Double rein. Poll, nose and jaw pressure, along with the normal bit pressure
Crazy bit 1 © | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2nd - Nose, Poll and normal bit pressure
Crazy bit 2 © | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3rd - last but not least, the Double rein, Poll, nose, jaw and bit pressure
Crazy bit 3 © | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Notice the last two have a Martingale as well! Just to add to everything!

All photo's are copyrighted, please don't use them.
Sponsored Links
    07-25-2011, 03:10 AM
Without seeing the mouthpiece, it's hard for me to tell, but the first one looks like a straight out-of-the-box Josey Combination / Million Dollar Bit (or knock-off brand); designed for barrel racing.

The second one....they have it rigged really stupidly, with the faux roundings and lack of curb and martingale besides...

Here's the exact bit, though: Happy Mouth Double Jointed Mouth Hackamore Bit 5" RARE on eBay!

Last one looks like pretty much the same thing. At least it's rigged more appropriately.

I can't believe those things are show-legal, though.
    07-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Ouch ! Is all I can say.. /:
Posted via Mobile Device
    07-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Thanks Bubba, they sure do look confusing

And I agree Horse lover!
    07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
All three of the bits look like some form of torture. I know that in the right hands they aren't severe, but still. I don't think that any horse needs that much of a bit. That much leverage shouldn't be necessary with any type of horse.

The first bit is a combination bit. It looks like a cheaper version of the Martha Josey Million Dollar Bit. I haven't ever seen a barrel racing bit used for english before.

The second and third bit are both the same gag bit, but the second looks like it is being used wrong. It is rigged incorrectly. They both look like the Happy Mouth Jointed Mouth Hackamore Bit. I don't think that you are supposed to use two sets of reins with gag bits. The reins should only be on the bottom ring so that the bit isn't as rough on the horse's mouth.
    07-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks SayiWont. Very interesting!
    07-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Looks to me like someone's found a way to combine a gag bit with a hackmore...


bits harsh jumping horses

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So-Called "Harsh" bits GeenasGQ Horse Tack and Equipment 61 01-02-2011 05:16 PM
Horrific injury... Chiilaa Horse Talk 22 11-20-2010 12:00 AM
This is Horrific.... SorrelHorse Horse Health 5 08-06-2010 07:52 AM
Horrific Horse Injury - extremly long (Warning, Graphic Pictures) ~Freedom Rider~ Horse Health 100 11-09-2009 05:49 PM
a horse called Red, a relationship called love... ADozenRoses&Red Horse Stories and Poems 0 07-15-2007 03:21 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0