Bad Saddle but No problems?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Bad Saddle but No problems?

This is a discussion on Bad Saddle but No problems? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Prolite vs thinline half pad
  • Thin line prolite relief pad

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-26-2011, 05:33 PM
  #1
Weanling
Question Bad Saddle but No problems?

Hello. I have been riding "my" pony for about 2 years now. She has always had her saddle, from breaking till now. She has no white places on her spine and isn't oversensitive onn her spine neither, so I assume the saddle is alright. She has always worn it with a crupper. She is a pony, you know-no whithers, round belly=problems with saddle sliding. I started to wonder whether the saddle isn't too wide for her, but as I don't understand saddles, I contacted a saddler. He told me the saddl is total "****" and I should throw it away immediately. I admit, that it isn't real leather, and I don't have any idea where did her owners buy it... But she rides with it for 6 years... And has no problems.... I tried to taky few photos.... Do you think it's fitting her? Or not? Would some pad help? I tried artificial sheepskin to make it a bit thinner, and it seems to slip less (sometimes not at all.) If put wothout a pad, the light goes totally through the "spine canal"(?) and doesn't touch spine, and she has everywhere about 2 fingers space between spine and saddle







<<I put some pressure-how it fits when I sit on it...

<< after riding-it slipped forward...

<< with thinner pads

     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
  #2
Trained
If it fits fine, causes no rubs and stays clear of the spine, who cares if it's a piece of crap? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
     
    04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
  #3
Green Broke
The foam and sheepskin pads are making it too narrow, which is causing the slipping. Try riding her without any extra pads, just the square pad. A saddle that is too narrow is more likely to slip around on a round/wide horse than a saddle that is too wide.

If you want something shock absorbing and to help with slipping, add a 1/4" thick ThinLine Half Pad. They do sell those in the UK, so you might be able to get them at an online shop that will ship to the CR.
Welcome To Equine Innovation - ThinLine Half Pad (Powered by CubeCart)

Or a thin Prolite pad.
PROLITE THIN RELIEF PAD

Here's a Czech store that is supposed to carry ThinLine products:
Equick: EQUICK

Yes, the saddle looks to be a cheap brand that aren't always well made, but if it fits your horse and it puts you in a good position, then it's fine. The back panels don't match the shape of the horse's back very well, which may cause some soreness there over time.
     
    04-27-2011, 11:00 AM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
The foam and sheepskin pads are making it too narrow, which is causing the slipping. Try riding her without any extra pads, just the square pad. A saddle that is too narrow is more likely to slip around on a round/wide horse than a saddle that is too wide.

If you want something shock absorbing and to help with slipping, add a 1/4" thick ThinLine Half Pad. They do sell those in the UK, so you might be able to get them at an online shop that will ship to the CR.
Welcome To Equine Innovation - ThinLine Half Pad (Powered by CubeCart)

Or a thin Prolite pad.
PROLITE THIN RELIEF PAD

Here's a Czech store that is supposed to carry ThinLine products:
Equick: EQUICK

Yes, the saddle looks to be a cheap brand that aren't always well made, but if it fits your horse and it puts you in a good position, then it's fine. The back panels don't match the shape of the horse's back very well, which may cause some soreness there over time.
I can see I wanted her to feel better an d I made it even worse instead. :( Do you think this can have the same puspose? http://www.equiservis.cz/cz/eshop/de...ron-popis.html
     
    04-27-2011, 02:38 PM
  #5
Green Broke
That is a good non-slip pad, but it won't provide any shock absorption like a ThinLine or Prolite pad will.
     
    04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
  #6
Foal
I can not see if it fits well, but I do agree that a classic saddle does not need all those pads, because the saddles is padded by itself.
All the pad is needed for, is adsorbtion of sweat.

What you might consider is getting it restuffed. They open the saddle and restuff it with wool or other stuff. This is not supposed to be expensive.
But again - I don't know.

Henk
     
    04-28-2011, 03:19 AM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk Plompen    
I can not see if it fits well, but I do agree that a classic saddle does not need all those pads, because the saddles is padded by itself.
All the pad is needed for, is adsorbtion of sweat.

What you might consider is getting it restuffed. They open the saddle and restuff it with wool or other stuff. This is not supposed to be expensive.
But again - I don't know.

Henk
She actually rode without any extra pads, abut as she is little pony (13 hands) and I am full grown woman, I wanted some protection for her. I wanted to restuff it, but the saddler told me to give the saddle away. For now I don't have any money to buy a new saddle, though. :(
     
    04-28-2011, 03:24 AM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
That is a good non-slip pad, but it won't provide any shock absorption like a ThinLine or Prolite pad will.
Well, it says "perfect shock protection"... Many people here in Czech use Gel pads like these... http://www.equiservis.cz/cz/eshop/de...ini-popis.html What do you think about this?
     
    04-28-2011, 08:41 AM
  #9
Green Broke
The first pad you posted is too thin to really do anything. Gel is not a good shock absorbing material. They have fallen out of favor in the US and much of the UK. The second pad you posted will get hot underneath it. Both the ThinLine and Prolite pads are breathable and better at shock absorbtion.
     
    04-28-2011, 10:30 AM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
The first pad you posted is too thin to really do anything. Gel is not a good shock absorbing material. They have fallen out of favor in the US and much of the UK. The second pad you posted will get hot underneath it. Both the ThinLine and Prolite pads are breathable and better at shock absorbtion.
Well, this is all very nice, but they don't sell ThinLine in Czech. The only shop you posted doesn't sell it any more... :(
     

Tags
crupper, fit, pony, saddle

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddle Fit Problems AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Tack and Equipment 6 07-15-2010 03:03 PM
Problems with the abetta endurance saddle RiosDad Trail Riding 12 04-11-2010 05:08 PM
Saddle Problems Kerri Low Horse Tack and Equipment 6 01-30-2010 02:11 AM
Having problems with new saddle Diegosmom English Riding 4 10-06-2009 08:28 PM
Saddle problems... Madds Horse Tack and Equipment 3 08-12-2007 08:57 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0