Okay, there was definitely less waste this week. It contained the hay really well and the material didn't get torn up. However, since we had a big (for here) snow, it kinda fell over. That worried me, but the horses still managed to eat just fine. Might not work too well in an area with a ton of snow, but it is made in Canada, so it might be fine.
The only thing I don't understand is that they actually used up a bale faster than they did before. Maybe it made it easier to eat faster? The bale was gone after 9 days, without the bale buddy it usually lasts 10 or so. Not a big difference, but unexpected. We did remove the twine that holds the bale together this time (I thought we did before but I guess we didn't always remove all of it). I guess they didn't have to work so hard to get at the hay. I think our bale buddy is a little bigger than is ideal for our bale size - maybe it would hold the hay tighter if it were a little smaller. This probably contributed to the falling over too. Oh well, I'm still happy that there was less waste.
We still have to get our back up square bales for our hay loft. Just can't count on having the time to run up the road to get a round bale every week or so.
I was normal...then I got a horse.