Bit Information (Snaffle and English-Type Bits) - Page 9

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Bit Information (Snaffle and English-Type Bits)

This is a discussion on Bit Information (Snaffle and English-Type Bits) within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Horse Bits Types
  • Type of snaffle

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by smrobs    
Allie, if you would like some help on a western bit section, let me know. I'm a long way from knowing it all but I do have a fair amount of experience with shanked bits.
You read my mind!! I was actually going to PM you asking if you wouldn't mind collaborating with me
Sponsored Links
    11-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Just because you got me itching to do it, I am currently working on a thread for that exact reason when I should be sleeping . Wow, there is a lot to sort through and explain .
    11-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Green Broke
Wild_spot, if you put it on the snaffle ring then it is a snaffle, just like the baucher or the wilkie. I ever said that the names correctly described them, just that overhere they are known as that.
    11-02-2010, 06:31 AM
And for those interested in the western side of this whole thing.
Bit Information (Curb and Western type bits and hackamores)

Now, it's 5:30 am and I need to go to bed .
    11-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by MIEventer    
Why don't you do it then :) You can spend the time to research the bits and come up with a great thread discussing Western Bits
I'm affraid I'l put something on there that's wrong. I would rather someone who has more experience and knowledge do it. Research isn't everything
    11-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Thank you guys for working on the western aspect. I am not an complete idiot but when it comes to what to use for shows, I am illiterate. A very big thank you to everyone that has worked through all the research.
    01-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Green Broke
So I've got question. There's a snaffle at my lesson barn where the bit itself is a single joint but the cheek piece is shaped like a "P". It's not a cheek piece that you have listed. At the barn we call it the "P" snaffle. Is there an actual name for this cheek piece?

I don't currently have any pictures, if you need some I can get some.
    01-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Green Broke

Tempest is that the one you mean?
It is called a half cheek snaffle and is actualy a driving bit
    01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Green Broke
Yeah, that's the one. Can it be used for riding though?
    01-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Green Broke
Yes it can be used for riding. I'm not sure why you would though, the full cheek snaffle would be much better for ridden purposes.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning horses' bits - no, not those kind of 'bits' Kyani Horse Grooming 79 01-30-2013 01:07 PM
Questions about Bits - Yawning, Type, Collection? MN Tigerstripes Horse Tack and Equipment 9 08-04-2009 07:05 PM
English Bits Checkers Horse Tack and Equipment 14 11-27-2008 05:54 PM
Pleasure type horse competing with stock type Angel_Leaguer Driving 10 11-10-2008 07:47 PM
Soft Bits vs Harsh bits? Velvetgrace Horse Training 45 11-07-2008 05:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0