Bit Issue? - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Bit Issue?

This is a discussion on Bit Issue? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-27-2010, 06:19 PM
      #21
    Weanling
    Agreed on the fact that bitless can be harsh in the wrong hands as well, and the double jointed eggbutt snaffle would be my bit of choice if I were to use one.

    Just as with bits there are many options for bitless riding, and it depends on what the horse likes. You can clip reins onto a halter, or spend up to hundreds of dollars on a Dr. Cooks. Most are fine and will work well given the horse is properly trained and the rider is confident and compotent, the only style that I will suggest you stay away from would be a mechanical hackamore, as they can be particularyl harsh, especially if placed too low on the nose or used with a chain curb strap.

    Western style


    English Style


    As Charis mentioned quick release is very important, because horses learn from the release of pressure, and not the pressure itself.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-27-2010, 06:20 PM
      #22
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ktibb    
    Sorry to hear about the saddle mix up. The best thing you can do when you make a mistake is own up to it and apologize (so long as it's a genuine apology) and then let time take care of the rest. People make mistakes, especially when starting something new.

    I will say though that many horse owners spend quite a bit of money on their tack, especially saddles and can become quite protective over them. And when it comes to horses and what to do you will get many differing opinions. I suggest you give them all a fair listen and learn what you can from everyone, even those that you don't agree with and find out what works best for you.

    Every horse is different as are their riders. Good luck!
    Thank you for your assistance and for the good luck. I understand that their tack can get quite expensive and my apology was sincere. I honestly didn't mean to use their saddle. If they aren't willing to take my apology like an adult (which they are) then it is probably best that I move on to another stable. Thank you as well to everyone else for making me feel more confident. You've all helped me by a lot. This means so much to me.
         
        10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
      #23
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppyLuva    
    Thank you for your assistance and for the good luck. I understand that their tack can get quite expensive and my apology was sincere. I honestly didn't mean to use their saddle. If they aren't willing to take my apology like an adult (which they are) then it is probably best that I move on to another stable. Thank you as well to everyone else for making me feel more confident. You've all helped me by a lot. This means so much to me.
    Well that's all you can do. Despite having a common intrest (horses) many barns develop strong cliques... I hope you are able to find somewhere with other riders/trainers that are a bit more understanding and wiling to help.

    Never be afraid of asking a silly question, especially here as there are many people here with a LOT of great advice to offer. We were all new at one point.
         
        10-27-2010, 06:34 PM
      #24
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ktibb    
    Well that's all you can do. Despite having a common intrest (horses) many barns develop strong cliques... I hope you are able to find somewhere with other riders/trainers that are a bit more understanding and wiling to help.

    Never be afraid of asking a silly question, especially here as there are many people here with a LOT of great advice to offer. We were all new at one point.
    Thank you. I don't understand some people. I can't believe that they would act this immature about an honest mistake. Well, I believe your right about the whole apology. That's all I can do. This new stable seems to be a lot more willing to help me. I'm glad this site has many people who understand what it is like. Thanks so much!
         
        10-27-2010, 06:49 PM
      #25
    Weanling
    I apologize if I'm mixing up names here, but Ktibb, I think you should post pictures of your design. If you aren't the right poster, then disregard ha ha!
         
        10-27-2010, 06:55 PM
      #26
    Yearling
    Could you possibly post a picture of your horse with his bridle on? That way we might be able to tell if the bit is too small, too low, etc.
         
        10-27-2010, 06:58 PM
      #27
    Weanling
    It's me Charis ;) Twist my arm, lol. There is a lot more information on my website (www.rydembitless.webs.com)





         
        10-27-2010, 07:42 PM
      #28
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arksly    
    Could you possibly post a picture of your horse with his bridle on? That way we might be able to tell if the bit is too small, too low, etc.
    I will once I visit him again. Please be patient. Thank you for showing your designs it helps out.
         
        10-27-2010, 08:12 PM
      #29
    Super Moderator
    Appyluva,

    You and your horse are a cute pair, both a little bit redheaded.
    I hope you will find a place that has a good atmosphere. The k;ind of barn where folks go around backbiting and sniping and gossiping and dissing; Who needs it? I would much rather have a scruffy run down place with good turn out for happy horses and easy going people, than the fancy place with the heated wash racks and lockers and indoor viewing areas on the lovely arena (although, don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY wish I had an indoor arena right now. But good relations with other boarders is important. Different barns have different "cultures". Hope you find a good one.
    Your horse will be much happier to go in a plain snaffle instead of the Tom Thumb. It is better for you, too, as you develop your sensitivity to the rein and the release.
    Post some photos, no?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    BIT ISSUE! please help! katieandduke Horse Tack and Equipment 11 08-10-2010 10:25 AM
    Uh-Oh, circling issue. ilovemyPhillip Natural Horsemanship 18 08-19-2009 01:45 PM
    Mounting Issue GallopingX3 Horse Training 1 07-09-2009 11:40 PM
    Yet another mounting issue TroubledTB Horse Training 9 07-03-2009 05:15 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0