You might want to get to the bottom of why her attitude has changed.
First, what exactly do you feed her? Hay, what kind and how much. Grain, what kind and how much. Treats, what, how much, and how often. Any supplements? Exactly what brands and what dosage.
Second, how much turnout time does she get?
I'll ask more questions after you answer these
I agree, I do need to figure this out, but there seem to be too many variables right now to narrow it down! Here's the low down:
- Got Sandie about 9 weeks ago, so we're still trying to get to know one another
- She was a rescued horse -- although she had some work done by a wonderful person who was fostering her before I got her, she is still kind of "green broke" -- she was not ridden much all summer and is about 150 lbs overweight, was just living in a pasture on grass and no grain
- Not sure of the exact grain, I board her and they are just giving her what they feed the whole barn, I'll have to ask what kind it is -- she only gets a handful or so bc she is so overweight still and wasn't ever grained at her old place anyway; always has hay available but again I'll have to ask the barn manager what kind -- she's beginning to tone up now that she's on a regular riding schedule and has lost 50 of the 150 lbs already
- First 6 weeks I had her, I rode her almost every day (with a day off every couple days) but nothing too strenuous...things were going very well until a week or two ago when she started spooking at one corner of the arena in particular -- nothing different about that corner, no shadows, objects, etc. so no clue why she is all of a sudden scared of it
- Had the vet out today to check her vision since her eyes have been blood shot for weeks now -- vet says her eyes are completely normal looking and nothing's wrong with her vision -- BUT she just got this weird cyst-like bump on her left side where the girth goes a couple weeks ago and had the vet check it out. The vet didn't like the look or feel of it and we ended up having to get it removed today
SO now Sandie is on "stall rest" for 14 days, has a giant suiture on her side and I'm praying she doesn't tear her stitches out!!!
They haven't been turning the horses out for 9 weeks BTW bc of conditions of the pastures (too icy) but I've been there every day to let her out in the indoor arena and/or ride her, but now she's stuck in her stall for 14 days!!!
UGH...she's going to FREAK OUT by the end of that 14-day period...they are decreasing her grain so that she doesn't have too much pent up energy and freak out more, on the vet's recommendation.
Oh yeah, and for treats, I have been giving her sugar-free candies (vet says sugar free only bc of her weight), but I've been known once in awhile to cheat and give her an apple
WHEW I think that's it, hope it helps! But like I said, it seems like it could be caused by a million things, which is so frustrating!!! I wish I could just ask her what's wrong