Blankets.. for winter? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Blankets.. for winter?

This is a discussion on Blankets.. for winter? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-06-2009, 08:00 PM
      #11
    Super Moderator
    I'm blanketing Lacey 24/7 right now. On average the coldest it gets around here is 25 or so fahrenheit with a lot of windchill.
    I didn't clip her but she doesn't sweat hardly at all so I'm not worried about that.

    She has this blanket:
    WB Landa Freestyle MW Standard Ne and Mid Weight Turnout Horse Blankets*|*EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

    So far it's great. My only complaint is that her shoulders are always getting wet when it's rainy, but I think that's mostly because it doesn't have a hood. It fits her well and the drop length is so long that it almost covers her belly underneath. Haha!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-06-2009, 08:28 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    Quote:
    are the people blanketing her right now?

    I am an avid blanketing machine! Lol

    After I ride I put on a cooler till she has cooled down all the way and then I blanket. I am in CA and it has been getting down to the 30's at night and I put on a sheet and a med weight blanket (200 fill) ... Maddy is body clipped also.

    If you plan to ride enough to have your horse swet then you need to clip probably- that is what I would do. BUT keep in mind that if you clip you HAVE TO blanket.

    Also I don't clip Brodie (he doesn't grow as much of a coat as Maddy) and I still blanket him with a Med. Weight (200 fill) at night when it gets below 50 degrees.
    They are blanketing her right now I think.. she had one on when we were there.. it looked like a rain sheet or something.
    Lol... I don't plan on body clipping her, as I wont be working her that hard, but I was thinking the sweat that the saddle leaves, and she might get the chills. I will be in a lighted indoor arena, western riding.. walk/trot/canter, western pleasure. She might work a sweat depending on what I do..

    Okay thanks so much! I think I will get a exercise sheet, and cooler for now, and buy a big blanket when I save up enough money :)

    Quote:
    if you need help picking out a blanket let me know- I love to shop for them! I have lots!
    hehe thanks :) that's so kind of you, and I will def. Be msging you before I go shopping for one! X)

    Quote:
    What's an excercise sheet? I warm up (walking) and cool out with a cooler.
    an excercise sheet is a lightweight sheet that covers from the saddle to the tail.. your saddle gets put on overtop, and you ride with it on.. here is a pic of google:


    Quote:
    I'm blanketing Lacey 24/7 right now. On average the coldest it gets around here is 25 or so fahrenheit with a lot of windchill.
    I didn't clip her but she doesn't sweat hardly at all so I'm not worried about that.

    She has this blanket:
    WB Landa Freestyle MW Standard Ne and Mid Weight Turnout Horse Blankets*|*EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

    So far it's great. My only complaint is that her shoulders are always getting wet when it's rainy, but I think that's mostly because it doesn't have a hood. It fits her well and the drop length is so long that it almost covers her belly underneath. Haha!
    I like that blanket you have for her. So, prob mid weight would be most suitable for me, along with a cooler, and exercise sheet.

    Im unsure about pricing for blankets.. I am in canada, but are exercise sheets and cooler quite cheap? I know that heavy duty blankets can range from like $300-infinity haha, but what do you think would be the average price for blankets?

    Thanks so much!!!
         
        12-06-2009, 09:13 PM
      #13
    Started
    Got it! At my barn they are called quarter sheets, but we don't use them
         
        12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    We call them quarter sheets as well Figured that's what everyone was referring to! If it's chilly at our barn, we ride with them as well. I rode Sandie in one today and it was around 30 degrees (F). If it gets below 25, I don't like to ride at all, just walk her around.

    Last year when I first got Sandie, she was furry since the previous owners didn't blanket, and when I worked her she would be SOAKED with sweat...I once had to stay at the barn for several HOURS with a hair dryer to get her completely dry!!! This year, I started blanketing early and she doesn't have the fuzzy coat now so she doesn't get sweaty enough to have to wait for her to dry...after I brush her she dries right off, only a small amount of sweat around the saddle area. It's the same with clipping -- it doesn't keep them warmer (quite the opposite actually) but it keeps them from getting sweaty/wet which relieves you from having to take hours to dry them.

    Just remember if you blanket to prevent the coat from growing in thick or you clip, you need to blanket all winter since you essentially took away the horse's natural defense from the cold
         
        12-06-2009, 10:20 PM
      #15
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by horseluver50    
    Im unsure about pricing for blankets.. I am in canada, but are exercise sheets and cooler quite cheap? I know that heavy duty blankets can range from like $300-infinity haha, but what do you think would be the average price for blankets?

    Thanks so much!!!
    I got my quarter sheet for $30
         
        12-07-2009, 01:53 AM
      #16
    Started
    Since she is blanketed right now (even if it is a light/med sheet) you should keep with it especially if she isn't in a stall...

    Here are some good sites to get blankets (there are some good sales right now):
    Doversaddlery.com
    Statelinetack.com
    Horseloverz.com
    Horse.com

    Or even craigslist.com or Ebay

         
        12-07-2009, 10:26 PM
      #17
    Green Broke
    Kch I love those sites!!! Stateline usually has pretty reasonable prices since they carry their own brand, and I have one of their light weight turnout sheets that works AWESOME! Right now, I'm layering under it with a wool sheet until the snow and REALLY cold weather comes and I need to drag out my medium weight!
         
        12-08-2009, 01:11 AM
      #18
    Yearling
    Quote:
    We call them quarter sheets as well Figured that's what everyone was referring to! If it's chilly at our barn, we ride with them as well. I rode Sandie in one today and it was around 30 degrees (F). If it gets below 25, I don't like to ride at all, just walk her around.

    Last year when I first got Sandie, she was furry since the previous owners didn't blanket, and when I worked her she would be SOAKED with sweat...I once had to stay at the barn for several HOURS with a hair dryer to get her completely dry!!! This year, I started blanketing early and she doesn't have the fuzzy coat now so she doesn't get sweaty enough to have to wait for her to dry...after I brush her she dries right off, only a small amount of sweat around the saddle area. It's the same with clipping -- it doesn't keep them warmer (quite the opposite actually) but it keeps them from getting sweaty/wet which relieves you from having to take hours to dry them.

    Just remember if you blanket to prevent the coat from growing in thick or you clip, you need to blanket all winter since you essentially took away the horse's natural defense from the cold
    Thanks for all the info, I guess I will see how it goes, to see which blankets she will need.. but I think for sure a light/med weight blanket :)

    Quote:
    I got my quarter sheet for $30
    Whoa! That's a really good price! I will have to check out our local tack store :)

    Quote:
    Since she is blanketed right now (even if it is a light/med sheet) you should keep with it especially if she isn't in a stall...

    Here are some good sites to get blankets (there are some good sales right now):
    Doversaddlery.com
    Statelinetack.com
    Horseloverz.com
    Horse.com

    Or even craigslist.com or Ebay
    Im not sure if she is blanketed all the time, but I am sure I will get her a blanket :) I am going to spoil her soo much! hehe
    Thanks for the sites! I will go check them out :)

    Quote:
    kch I love those sites!!! Stateline usually has pretty reasonable prices since they carry their own brand, and I have one of their light weight turnout sheets that works AWESOME! Right now, I'm layering under it with a wool sheet until the snow and REALLY cold weather comes and I need to drag out my medium weight!
    Im not sure if I can order anything off internet though, as my parents don't like paypal, or credit card info online :/
         
        12-08-2009, 08:19 AM
      #19
    Weanling
    (quick reply)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by horseluver50    
    Clipping makes her warm?
    What type of blanket do you use?
    Thanks :)
    No, being hairy and work will make her warm, clipping takes off the long hair under the belly and on the underneath of the neck so that she won't get sweaty when she's ridden.
    My horse is so hairy I can only ride him for about 15 minutes or he sweats up - he's not been clipped yet!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by horseluver50    
    - exercise sheet (while riding her)
    - cooler (after riding her, and when its cold?)
    this is a cooler/fleec that can be used as an exercise sheet when riding, a cooler to cool the horse down after, a travel blanket, and a stable rug (I have one for my horse and the surcingle that's attached to it was useless so it needed something else to keep it on him!)
    Horseware Amigo Jersey Cooler - Horse Travel, Cooler & Exercise Rugs from Old Mill Saddlery

    (that site delivers worldwide)

    I wouldn't use it as a night-time rug as it fell off my horse! I have two different types of night-time stable rugs for him

    This fleece
    Equine Warehouse | Rugs | Economy Fleece

    And a quilted rug like this...
    Equine Warehouse | Rugs | Budget Stable

    (they're cheap but very good quality and that site delivers worldwide as well)

    It doesn't get desperately cold here, but if it did get very very cold I'd combine cooler and quilt or cooler and fleece, or fleece and quilt.

         
        12-08-2009, 01:18 PM
      #20
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand    
    kch I love those sites!!! Stateline usually has pretty reasonable prices since they carry their own brand, and I have one of their light weight turnout sheets that works AWESOME! Right now, I'm layering under it with a wool sheet until the snow and REALLY cold weather comes and I need to drag out my medium weight!
    I am a lean mean blanketing machine! Lol

    It has been getting into the high 20's here (that is so NOT normal for CA) so I have been blanketing with med weight blankets cause my horses aren't used to it being this cold.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Washing Winter Blankets stacieandtheboys Horse Tack and Equipment 1 07-28-2009 09:37 PM
    sizing winter blankets? booner Horse Tack and Equipment 7 10-28-2008 10:53 PM
    Winter blankets........should I invest in a new one? SonnyWimps Horse Tack and Equipment 2 09-30-2008 04:01 PM
    Winter Blankets appylover31803 Horse Tack and Equipment 16 03-11-2008 02:04 PM
    Winter Blankets? Fisher.Cat. Horse Tack and Equipment 4 12-30-2007 12:27 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0