Can anyone identify what type of bits theses are?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Can anyone identify what type of bits theses are?

This is a discussion on Can anyone identify what type of bits theses are? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • "dexter ring bits"
  • Types of horses bits

LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Question Can anyone identify what type of bits theses are?

These bits were on a bridle I came across and used with a curb strap. The large O ring is not removable. They seem to be very sturdy and well made. Both are similar, but one has thick rubber covering the mouthpiece. Can anyone tell me what type of bits these are, and what kind of horse or riding these would be used for? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bits 002.jpg (78.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Bits 003.jpg (81.4 KB, 213 views)
Sponsored Links
    08-25-2010, 04:44 PM
I believe those are bits that are generally used on racehorses. I have no idea to their purpose but I have never seen a riding horse wear one like that.
    08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Both bits are ring bits, commonly used on racehorses. The function is to keep the horse from clamping their jaw down tightly on or grabbing hold of the bit. The top portion of the ring actually goes in the horses mouth along with the bit, and pputs pressure on the roof of the horse's mouth if he tries to clamp or grab.

More commonly seen used in exercise in the morning, only occassionally seen out on the track in the afternoon.
    08-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Green Broke
They're called Dexter Ring Bits.
Big Dee's Tack & Vet Supplies | RACE BITS | DEXTER RING BIT 5in.

And yes, used for Thoroughbred racing.

Racehorses: Bits Commonly Used in Thoroughbred Horse Racing, Sales & Breeding Rock and Racehorses: The Blog
3. Dexter Ring Bit. You can see the mouthpiece here. The ring bit has two mouthpieces: one jointed snaffle mouthpiece and one ring that encircles the horse’s lower jaw. The snaffle portion of the bit can have metal, plastic or rubber coating and the ring is metal. The cheekpieces are of varying shapes, as are the metal “spoons” below the mouth. A ring bit is commonly used on strong horses since it adds stopping power. The bit also increases steering power since a rider has the added leverage on the horse’s lower jaw.
    08-26-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks to all who answered my question. I had never seen these before and I learned something new.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bit Information (Snaffle and English-Type Bits) JustDressageIt Horse Tack and Equipment 282 11-11-2013 08:00 AM
Help me identify this type of saddle justsambam08 Horse Tack and Equipment 3 05-24-2010 07:24 AM
how much do you think theses saddles are worth? mysugarap Horse Tack and Equipment 3 04-15-2010 02:45 PM
Questions about Bits - Yawning, Type, Collection? MN Tigerstripes Horse Tack and Equipment 9 08-04-2009 07:05 PM
Pleasure type horse competing with stock type Angel_Leaguer Driving 10 11-10-2008 07:47 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0