CC Saddle fit? - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,523
• Horses: 5
CC Saddle fit?

This is my Crosby that I have for sale right now and my horse is visibly getting healthier and bulking up more so I decided to put my Crosby on him just for kicks. It fits better than it did before. He isn't entirely fit and is nowhere near as in good shape as he will be once I start riding him more. How is the fit? I don't care whether I sell it or not. Is it worth keeping and does it fit well enough to ride in? It doesn't appear to pinch at all. It is a bit low in the front and the back of the panels don't touch on the outsides (they are HUGE panels)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06e7b1e3c2ac_23a3af3d-c412-424f-9341-8d3d4fd601bd.jpg (9.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 733f8b44335b_9fbc352f-67db-45d3-82ea-728d40086879.jpg (10.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg a70ec826108d_f4268e41-caeb-4406-b0d8-3af9582ee022.jpg (10.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg f3caf81e48b9_3a08f120-3a7f-4f89-a784-e55d9c93d1e9.jpg (9.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg dfe6fa033bbc_943f22f0-676c-4bf2-b16d-95d85ccb04b8.jpg (9.8 KB, 65 views)

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Looks like a horrid fit to me. Too low in the front, meaning that as soon as you sit in it, it's going to be riding on the withers. The fact that the panels don't even touch right now is a big no-no to me. It's not sitting even, definitely rocking towards the withers.


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,523
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt View Post
Looks like a horrid fit to me. Too low in the front, meaning that as soon as you sit in it, it's going to be riding on the withers. The fact that the panels don't even touch right now is a big no-no to me. It's not sitting even, definitely rocking towards the withers.

Well its for sale anyways! Lol a lot of saddles rock forwards on him. I think he is a little downhill

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,523
• Horses: 5
ya know, sometimes I wish I didn't love him so much because NOTHING fits him. Any suggestions on saddles for him?

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-17-2013, 04:41 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 1,116
• Horses: 0
It looks like a fairly typical foam/felt CC fit to me, which is not very good. The width looks okay but the balance is pommel-low simply because the panels are the wrong shape for him.

To get this saddle to fit better you'd need a front riser or graduated pad to correct the balance. If you're looking for a new one I'd recommend a flocked panel and someone who knows what they're doing to fit it for you.

Your horse might be slightly croup high (difficult to tell from the pics) but not drastically so that shouldn't cause too many issues for a fitter provided the saddle you buy can be tweaked.

Best of luck :)

The battle that never ends is the battle of belief against unbelief - Thomas Carlyle

http://cavalrytales.wordpress.com
unclearthur is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,523
• Horses: 5
The saddle sold last night

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,523
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur View Post
It looks like a fairly typical foam/felt CC fit to me, which is not very good. The width looks okay but the balance is pommel-low simply because the panels are the wrong shape for him.

To get this saddle to fit better you'd need a front riser or graduated pad to correct the balance. If you're looking for a new one I'd recommend a flocked panel and someone who knows what they're doing to fit it for you.

Your horse might be slightly croup high (difficult to tell from the pics) but not drastically so that shouldn't cause too many issues for a fitter provided the saddle you buy can be tweaked.

Best of luck :)
Do you think it would be ok with a riser? The buyer backed out of the sale

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 1,116
• Horses: 0
Is there anyone you can borrow one from to try before you buy?

Otherwise, I usually advise to fold up a towel so it's about 1.5 inches thick and put it over the withers, on top of your saddlecloth, but behind the shoulder (not pulled forward so it sits on the back of the shoulderblade). Then check if the level is better before you ride on it - the pommel should sit slightly lower than the cantle.

If it seems to work okay you can fiddle with the folds - you sometimes end up with a gap at the base of the withers using this method but if so that should be easy to fill by extending the towel back further at half its thickness, or whatever you need.

With this type of problem you often need to experiment a little to find out what works best. And it's handy to have someone else check how tight the saddle is at the front (behind the tree points) and mid-panel while you're on board.

Hope that works :)

The battle that never ends is the battle of belief against unbelief - Thomas Carlyle

http://cavalrytales.wordpress.com
unclearthur is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,523
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur View Post
Is there anyone you can borrow one from to try before you buy?

Otherwise, I usually advise to fold up a towel so it's about 1.5 inches thick and put it over the withers, on top of your saddlecloth, but behind the shoulder (not pulled forward so it sits on the back of the shoulderblade). Then check if the level is better before you ride on it - the pommel should sit slightly lower than the cantle.

If it seems to work okay you can fiddle with the folds - you sometimes end up with a gap at the base of the withers using this method but if so that should be easy to fill by extending the towel back further at half its thickness, or whatever you need.

With this type of problem you often need to experiment a little to find out what works best. And it's handy to have someone else check how tight the saddle is at the front (behind the tree points) and mid-panel while you're on board.

Hope that works :)
Thanks!!!

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
Reply

Tags
close contact , crosby , english , fit , saddle

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New saddle: Does it fit HER and does it fit ME? poultrygirl English Riding 28 03-18-2012 05:22 AM
Saddle fit....a question in regards to a saddle that "technically" doesn't fit.... Cinnys Whinny Horse Tack and Equipment 11 07-13-2011 02:50 PM
Advice on a jumping saddle? + Saddle fit jmagdavidson Horse Tack and Equipment 3 08-05-2009 07:05 AM
Will my fat horse fit the new saddle when she gets fit? dynamite. Horse Tack and Equipment 1 04-20-2009 08:38 PM
theraputic saddle pad? Also saddle fit pictures SonnyWimps Horse Tack and Equipment 5 05-01-2008 06:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome