Hi All, New here!
Fingers crossed that I can get some good input on this topic!
I've been looking for a new fly sheet to replace my Kensington which is just starting to wear out after a few seasons. I'd ordered a Cashel Fly Sheet, but after about 12 hours on my OTTB, it had torn down a seam. A great disappointment because it was marvelously designed....
While I love the Kensington and may just end up with another, it did rub on the front of his shoulders with prolonged grazing. I would love something that was designed a little more for movement and grazing.
So here's what I'm looking for: Durability
- Orion is very easy on blankets but he does lay down for naps, rolls, and sometimes gets thorns (goatheads) in them. He doesn't play much but occasionally runs and bucks/twists. The fencing is vinyl and hotwire, no sharp edges on gates, sprinklers are underground, so there's not much to snag blankets on, but I'd still like something that doesn't tear easily and can last a few seasons. No plastic buckles. Placement & Fit
- I do not like blankets that get lopsided easily! It annoys me, so I'm always compelled to go straighten them.... :) What I loved about the Kensington is that it stayed put through everything! Naturally, I want one that doesn't rub with prolonged use; if possible, I don't want to have to remove it every night to prevent rub marks... usually I check them daily and then take it off every few days. Belly band
- Some reviews of the Schneiders Dura-Mesh said that the belly band was too far back and her male horse kept peeing in it, and another said that it was too heavy on one side so lopsided. However, Orion's belly usually gets really eaten up during the summer so I really want to consider one. Heat/UV Protection
- It gets HOT here (easily in the 100-105F range on summer afternoons), and I want him to be as cool as possible. He has no shade in the pasture, as the trees are all young and his shelter is in the back dry lot, to which he does have access but prefers to eat, of course! UV protection at least 60%, preferably 70%. I noticed just last summer that Orion's Kensington sheet was getting pretty hot to the touch. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any discomfort or major rub marks due to it and sweating was rare under the nylon shoulder panels. Ease of cleaning
- Something that doesn't stain easily and can be washed by hose or machine. (This one, I can compromise on.)
Colors: not dark because of the heat or girly... Orion's a gelding
My budget: $100/less
I have it narrowed down to these: http://www.sstack.com/horsewear_fly-protection_dura-mesh-protection/dura-mesh-flyshield-fly-sheet/ http://www.sstack.com/horsewear_fly-protection_dura-mesh-protection/dura-mesh-flyshield-bellyband-fly-sheet/ http://www.sstack.com/horsewear_fly-protection_other-sheets/interlock-mesh-bellyband-combo-fly-sheet/ http://www.sstack.com/horsewear_fly-protection_dura-mesh-protection/dura-mesh-bellyband-fly-sheet/ http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=fc793ad2-4641-44f7-88eb-d7619bc8e751 http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=092d21a1-1c8e-4c70-b401-35bb6ea5f952 http://discounthorse.com/i-917032-wrangler-heavy-duty-fly-sheet.html EOUS Action Fly Sheet - Horse.com
Here's a pic of my boy to give a an idea of his build... narrow chest, high withers... and a big belly in the summer
Does anybody have any experience with any of the above sheets? Any recommendations of what would probably work best for our situation?
Thanks a lot for any advice! I hate returning things, so I'm really trying to get it right this time!