Cinch holder/keeper?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Cinch holder/keeper?

This is a discussion on Cinch holder/keeper? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-29-2009, 02:48 AM
Cinch holder/keeper?

I just bought a nice used western saddle. I'm really happy with it but it doesn't have the thing you put the cinch in when you are storing the saddle. It's like a leather strap with a long hole that the cinch buckles into on the right side of the saddle. I'm new to riding and don't know what it is called! There is a concho there and my trainer told me she thought I could get one and put it where the concho is. But where would I get one of those? I've searched online and I can't find what I am looking for. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
    03-29-2009, 02:55 AM
I'm not sure I'm following you... the only thing on that should be on the right side of the saddle is your "off billet" - a nylon or leather strap with holes in which you buckle your cinch when girthing your horse. There's a "latigo holder/keeper" that should be on the left side of your saddle near the pommel. It's labeled "tie strap holder" in this picture.

Is that what you're talking about, or something else?
    03-29-2009, 03:07 AM
If there is a local saddle maker, they should have some in stock. I don't know what they are called either but I know what you are talking about. When searching on-line, you might check the saddle makers sites, not just the sellers. I don't think that they should cost very much, maybe a few dollars. My best advice is to check with your local saddler.
    03-29-2009, 03:07 AM
Nevermind, I think I know what you're talking about. Not all saddles have those. In all honesty, you don't need one, and it's not great for your cinch to be kept on your saddle all the time - I take mine off and rinse it after every ride. I don't use a traditional rope cinch because they tend to rub my horses. I use a ClassicEquine Soft Touch cinch. I like them MUCH better.

But if you want the piece for storing your rope cinch with the saddle, your local leather craftsman can help you I'm sure. Shouldn't be too expensive. You won't be able to find one at a store or anything, they don't usually sell parts like that.
    03-30-2009, 09:42 PM
You can just overlay the cinch over the saddle, with the part of the cinch touching the horse facein up, or you can, if the buckle is big enough, you can put the buckle part over the horn, soi t hangs like it would w/ the other strap
    03-31-2009, 03:03 AM
EDIT (Oh sorry I see that you are now talking about the cinch after re-reading through the topic haha. Sorry, but I will keep the picture up for anyone who hasn't seen what I'm talking about with the latigo strap)

Here is a cool trick I learned. I made a little tutorial on how to do it (its on the right hand side of the page).


Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cell phone holder appylover31803 Horse Tack and Equipment 9 02-15-2009 05:21 PM
Obese easy keeper that keeps getting fatter QrtrHrseOwnr Horse Health 14 11-19-2008 10:10 AM
Hard keeper Angilina Horse Health 6 10-02-2008 10:35 AM
cinch Snapple122 Horse Tack and Equipment 8 08-17-2008 09:32 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0