Cleaning a western saddle pad?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Cleaning a western saddle pad?

This is a discussion on Cleaning a western saddle pad? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Clean a saddle with a hose
  • Washing western saddle pad

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-16-2010, 05:43 PM
  #1
Weanling
Cleaning a western saddle pad?

My daughter has a wool saddle pad with a fleece underside ( I don't know if it's synthetic or real). The last few weeks have been really dusty and the saddle pad is looking pretty dingy (it's a patriotic one that was made locally). I want to clean it. Can I put it in an industrial washer on delicate or do I need to have it cleaned professionally?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-16-2010, 05:50 PM
  #2
Showing
What I always do is just to hose my pads off. If you need to use soap, use Woolite and be sure to hose all the soap out of it then just let it dry in the sun.
     
    07-16-2010, 05:51 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses    
What I always do is just to hose my pads off. If you need to use soap, use Woolite and be sure to hose all the soap out of it then just let it dry in the sun.
Well that's easy, and way cheaper than I was thinking. Thanks. I think I'll wait until the end of summer when the outdoor arena isn't as dry, but I'm buying her a charcoal one for Christmas so we don't see how dirty it is!
     
    07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
  #4
Showing
I use the hose too + I use a brush to clean off the horse hair from the fleece. Not big fan of soap as it's hard to get rid of (pad is getting really heavy when wet, and I'm not strong enough :) ).
     
    07-16-2010, 06:04 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
I use the hose too + I use a brush to clean off the horse hair from the fleece. Not big fan of soap as it's hard to get rid of (pad is getting really heavy when wet, and I'm not strong enough :) ).
Okay, I'm going to go try it now because I have time. It would be nice to have a nice clean pad for lessons next week. Otherwise I'm going to go to sleep of boredom...she's been at camp all week and I'm lonely!
     
    07-16-2010, 06:43 PM
  #6
Foal
For the ultimate clean, take it to an outdoor car wash, the kind with the industrial power washers. A little Woolite and the wand and they're as good as new.

Pam
     
    07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
  #7
Weanling
Okay--done, thanks! Kitten_Val, you weren't joking about how heavy it gets! Holy cow batman! I used the heavy stream setting on the hose nozzle and a scrub brush that my husband uses for scrubbing dog crates. It came REALLY clean, and when it's dry (in 3 days) I'll take a stiff brush to the underside. I didn't realize how dirty it was, but it's clean now, and I can say I did something productive today. If she hadn't scrubbed her saddle I'd clean that, and her brushes are at the barn so I can't clean them...All three dogs have had a bath and look at me like they want to kill me every time I get up...they're afraid of what else I'll do to them! If I was cleared to ride by my doctor I would have taken extra lessons this week.
     
    07-18-2010, 01:11 PM
  #8
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl Play    
Okay--done, thanks! Kitten_Val, you weren't joking about how heavy it gets! Holy cow batman! I used the heavy stream setting on the hose nozzle and a scrub brush that my husband uses for scrubbing dog crates. It came REALLY clean, and when it's dry (in 3 days) I'll take a stiff brush to the underside. I didn't realize how dirty it was, but it's clean now, and I can say I did something productive today. If she hadn't scrubbed her saddle I'd clean that, and her brushes are at the barn so I can't clean them...All three dogs have had a bath and look at me like they want to kill me every time I get up...they're afraid of what else I'll do to them! If I was cleared to ride by my doctor I would have taken extra lessons this week.
Lol! Even my ENGLISH pads get so heavy I have problems managing them. Talk about Western! I'm glad it looks clean - usually it takes about day or two to dry for me.
     
    07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
Lol! Even my ENGLISH pads get so heavy I have problems managing them. Talk about Western! I'm glad it looks clean - usually it takes about day or two to dry for me.
It took a few days, but it's been pretty humid here and never really got warm until afternoons...we'd wake up to foggy, low clouds, and by about 2:00 the sun would come out and warm up...I finally brought it inside once it stopped dripping and set it in front of the fan. She got to use it last night on a dusty horse, so the underside is already dirty again but the red, white and blue on the outside is crisp and new looking again.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning saddle silver Fowl Play Horse Tack and Equipment 5 12-14-2009 12:39 AM
Cleaning Western Boots Moxie Horse Tack and Equipment 4 02-26-2009 03:32 PM
Cleaning a rawhide saddle? BabyDoll Horse Tack and Equipment 1 01-23-2009 06:49 PM
Saddle Cleaning chasin the dream English Riding 7 06-07-2008 12:53 PM
cleaning saddle Vidaloco Horse Tack and Equipment 10 10-30-2007 11:29 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0