D-ring or shank snaffle? Help!? - Page 2

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

D-ring or shank snaffle? Help!?

This is a discussion on D-ring or shank snaffle? Help!? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • D ring vs shank
  • D ring with shank

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by SpiritLifter    
I'm not savvy on tack but I'll try and explain it correctly. I have an 8 yr old mare I trail ride. I use a snaffle bit. My farrier said to get a D ring snaffle. I've always used the snaffle with the shanks on the outside of the mouth of which he said was too severe for an experienced horse. What's the difference and why is one used over another? Also, do I use a chin strap with the D ring? The farrier said I didn't need to. Any advice would be appreciated.

A curb too severe for an experienced horse??
Curbs are only for experienced horses, and definitely not for "training".

Snaffles have direct pressure to the mouth. No leverage.
They're for direct contact, and the bit to start with for schooling.
For you, trail riding, a snaffle is fine.

Curbs have leverage. Depending on the shape and length on the shank, the pressure is intensified, and therefore is meant only for a finished horse that neck reins and goes off seat and leg. They're not for schooling.

Now, snaffles are commonly referred to as the single jointed mouthpiece.
That's false. What defines a snaffle is the rings (dee, loose ring, eggbutt, full cheek, etc.), not the mouthpiece.
There are singe jointed curbs, also not referring to a tom thumb, as that's something different in itself.

Bottom line, your dee ring is fine for trail riding, and only if your horse can independently neck rein one handed should you use the curb.
Sponsored Links
    06-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Green Broke
If your referring it cheek shanks.. I honestly think you are trying to describe a full cheek snaffle?
This is a full cheek snaffle I think you are referring to.

Then the D ring snaffle

Then there is an O ring

And and Eggbutt snaffle

Shanks are referring to a Curb bit. Shanks don't do around the cheek but they drop down from the bit portion making the reins further away from the bit part.

These are curb bits

    06-07-2012, 08:08 AM
If you have a tendency to plow rein (direct rein), use a snaffle.
You shouldn't plow rein in a curb bit.
If you only ever neck rein, you could use either one, depending on what your horse goes better in.
If it's a toss up or you can't decide, go with the snaffle.

Some people I know will stick a non-jointed curb on, just for trail rides, because their horses can graze in them, hence those bits are often referred to as grazing bits.

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-ring snaffle... anyone have one? iloverains Horse Tack and Equipment 2 07-26-2011 02:11 AM
Looking for:: Short Shank Snaffle bit. SissyGoBob Tack and Equipment Classifieds 9 05-24-2011 09:46 PM
Loose ring snaffle Tymer Horse Tack and Equipment 8 10-23-2010 08:53 PM
6 1/2" D ring snaffle mollysmom Horse Tack and Equipment 2 08-16-2009 10:22 PM
Ring Snaffle goose1478 Horse Tack and Equipment 7 11-12-2007 06:40 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0