Does my (close contact) saddle fit her? - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Does my (close contact) saddle fit her?

This is a discussion on Does my (close contact) saddle fit her? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
      #21
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    You'd have to talk to a saddle fitter, but I've been looking at Ideal and Barnsby (and drooling, while having no money haha).
    Thanks for all the advice Anebel and others! (this is why I love this forum!!) I talked to my trainer last night as well and he agreed that even though the wither clearance isn't great right now, the slightly wider gullet fits her better and as he said, "it's better to go a little wide vs too narrow if it comes down to a choice". We talked about putting her on some extra hay and also about getting her on some sort of weight gain supplement to help her get through the winter. Once the spring/summer is here with the warmer temps and the grass again, I don't think I'll have an issue, but she went into the winter slightly underweight and now she's slowly dropping, even while her grain is increased to the max of what she should be getting.

    Since it's no good just to keep increasing her grain, we're increasing good quality hay and I am looking at this supplement, seems to get good reviews all around. Anyone have any other suggestions for a good weight gain supplement (preferably in SmartPaks if I can help it, SO convenient!)

    Cocosoya Ultra SPô - Horse Skin & Coat Supplements from SmartPak Equine
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-17-2013, 11:55 AM
      #22
    Weanling
    Sounds like a good plan! :)

    By the way, I'm totally stealing your concept for the video.. hope you don't mind. I'm hunting for saddles myself, and I received a test saddle in yesterday. This weekend I plan on making a video and posting so people can critique it as well. ;)
         
        01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
      #23
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heymckate    
    Sounds like a good plan! :)

    By the way, I'm totally stealing your concept for the video.. hope you don't mind. I'm hunting for saddles myself, and I received a test saddle in yesterday. This weekend I plan on making a video and posting so people can critique it as well. ;)
    Not at all, "steal" away!!
         
        01-17-2013, 02:21 PM
      #24
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand    
    Her hair STILL manages to rub off a little though, no clue what THAT is about...
    Some horses just have thin, brittle hair, like we do.

    I saw a regular customer on Monday with a Welsh Cob mare (clipped out). She has had issues with the back of the saddle causing rub marks, basically because the mare gains and drops weight very easily and the saddle had been too tight behind the withers so the back 'wagged,' as well as throwing the rider's weight slightly behind where it should be.

    Although the rubs had started to grow out after the previous adjustment they were still noticeable, BUT the mare also had bald marks from where her rubber covered reins rubbed against her neck.

    Sometimes you just have to put up with little rubbed areas - horses are so individual
         
        01-18-2013, 07:17 AM
      #25
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unclearthur    
    Some horses just have thin, brittle hair, like we do.

    I saw a regular customer on Monday with a Welsh Cob mare (clipped out). She has had issues with the back of the saddle causing rub marks, basically because the mare gains and drops weight very easily and the saddle had been too tight behind the withers so the back 'wagged,' as well as throwing the rider's weight slightly behind where it should be.

    Although the rubs had started to grow out after the previous adjustment they were still noticeable, BUT the mare also had bald marks from where her rubber covered reins rubbed against her neck.

    Sometimes you just have to put up with little rubbed areas - horses are so individual
    Maybe that's it then because she has the same rubs where I put my leg on her, and where the blanket moves on her shoulders...silly sensitive girl! ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-18-2013, 09:17 AM
      #26
    Trained
    I would get a saddle fitter out !

    I was having so much trouble fitting my mare, and the saddle fitter came out and tried about 10 or more saddles on her. Turns out she is physically shaped to fit a medium tree, but she prefers a narrow tree. Who knew ? She's been back 4 times since I got my new saddle to check it and gypsy is still happy as a clam. Not only are horses different shapes, but they have different preferences.

    I certainly would be concerned to have a saddle that close to the wither. You should have a least 2 fingers between the saddle and the wither with a tight girth and a rider in the saddle.

    Ps- gypsy has been getting a small rub where the back of the saddle pad is. It didnt happen with her summer coat, just her really long thick winter hair. Im not too worried !
         
        01-18-2013, 09:25 AM
      #27
    Showing
    Stef, if you decide to go the saddle fitter route, Alyssa Richards is having a saddle fitter come to her place at the end of the month and is looking to split the cost with anyone else that's interested. Let me know if you'd like her contact info.
         
        01-18-2013, 02:43 PM
      #28
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by equiniphile    
    Stef, if you decide to go the saddle fitter route, Alyssa Richards is having a saddle fitter come to her place at the end of the month and is looking to split the cost with anyone else that's interested. Let me know if you'd like her contact info.
    Thanks!! Can you PM me a cost estimate? And where is her barn at?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
      #29
    Showing
    Texted you
         
        01-18-2013, 09:40 PM
      #30
    Weanling
    I think the second saddle with the narrower gullet fits generally better. The wither clearance is good and the saddle sits firmly at the back - no rocking.

    So long as there is clearance under the flap for the shoulders I would prefer to use this saddle.

    Uncleararthur - the saddle is not a Bates - it is a Pessoa so unclear as to what you are referring to.

    If you go with the wider tree then you definitely need to lift the front of the saddle as it is rocking back and forth - wether you use a strip of foam or a proper front riser pad you definitely need to lift the front.

    It is possible to slip a layer of solid foam between the panels and the underside of the saddle to slightly raise the front. You may need to get a saddler to do this for you

    There wear on the hair at the back is possibly a result of the rocking of the saddle as the panels at the back are not sitting firmly on the horses back.
         

    Tags
    close contact, english saddle, pessoa, saddle fit

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    FS - Close Contact Saddle JustMuckItxD Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 10-02-2012 12:02 AM
    L/F Close Contact 17.5 Saddle steedaunh32 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 09-27-2012 12:19 AM
    LF Close contact saddle! mecgirl28 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 09-08-2009 11:54 AM
    Which Close Contact Saddle? blossom856 Horse Tack and Equipment 12 01-07-2009 08:48 PM
    close contact saddle for sale spmoonie Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 05-04-2008 05:41 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0