Double twisted wire bit... - Page 9
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Double twisted wire bit...

This is a discussion on Double twisted wire bit... within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-12-2010, 12:02 AM
      #81
    Green Broke
    I was just using the term used around here kevin. Not really sure what it's known as to everyone. But it's when they get on and beat and knock around expecting the horse to already know what they want. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-12-2010, 12:48 AM
      #82
    Weanling
    What do you think of theese bits?


    What do you think of these spurs?
         
        06-12-2010, 01:01 AM
      #83
    Weanling
    Im going to be honest-I use these. The first bit only on rare occasions. Second one every time I ride western, and the spurs-mostly every time I ride, but I KNOW HOW TO USE THEM! You guys are forgetting the fact that even though the bit/spurs are harsh, its the rider who makes it harsh, and all in all, all bits are harsh if theres and idiot rider on them. I i disagree with the idea of its a lazy persons way ofgetting out of it, because its not. I don't see where you can make these judgements if you have never actually ridden a horse in one of these things.
         
        06-12-2010, 01:13 AM
      #84
    Super Moderator
    You are right, I will never ride a horse in a snaffle like that. In my discipline, we ride with contact. THAT makes the difference. No rider could make that bit anything but nasty if ridden on any contact.

    The spurs I have no problem with. They are kinder than prince of wales english spurs, IMO.
         
        06-12-2010, 07:45 AM
      #85
    Trained
    I'm with Alison - I ride in similar spurs and have no issue with that curb - but I ride with a contact and would never put a ridged/twisted mouthpiece in a horses mouth.
         
        06-12-2010, 08:41 AM
      #86
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilkitty90    
    i was just using the term used around here kevin. Not really sure what it's known as to everyone. But it's when they get on and beat and knock around expecting the horse to already know what they want. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.
    Kitty, each time the term has been used in that way, it has been explained that it is an insult to those people who work on ranches or even aspire to it. We have so many members who fit the term "cowboy" in some way that it is very offensive to them (and to me). Just so that you know for the next time.

    Call them a "yahoo" or even "moron" next time (LOL).
         
        06-12-2010, 08:43 AM
      #87
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sorelhorse    
    what do you think of theese bits?


    What do you think of these spurs?
    ONLY for the highly educated.
         
        06-12-2010, 10:35 AM
      #88
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sorelhorse    
    Im going to be honest-I use these. The first bit only on rare occasions. Second one every time I ride western, and the spurs-mostly every time I ride, but I KNOW HOW TO USE THEM! You guys are forgetting the fact that even though the bit/spurs are harsh, its the rider who makes it harsh, and all in all, all bits are harsh if theres and idiot rider on them. I i disagree with the idea of its a lazy persons way ofgetting out of it, because its not. I don't see where you can make these judgements if you have never actually ridden a horse in one of these things.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allison Finch    
    You are right, I will never ride a horse in a snaffle like that. In my discipline, we ride with contact. THAT makes the difference. No rider could make that bit anything but nasty if ridden on any contact.
    The spurs I have no problem with. They are kinder than prince of wales english spurs, IMO.

    FINALLY! Here we have 2 people that ride in VERY different disciplines, yet they UNDERSTAND each others methods and the uses. No attacks, no put-downs. Not even an agree to disagree, just an explanation as to why a bit won't work for one, while it works for another.
         
        06-12-2010, 01:51 PM
      #89
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allison Finch    
    You are right, I will never ride a horse in a snaffle like that. In my discipline, we ride with contact. THAT makes the difference. No rider could make that bit anything but nasty if ridden on any contact.

    The spurs I have no problem with. They are kinder than prince of wales english spurs, IMO.
    Haha that's what I've been saying all along....
    Personally I will never use a twisted mouthpiece ever again; I know what even the lightest contact can do firsthand, unfortunately (the trainer I was with taught me what not to do as well as what to do.)
    The problem with twisted bits is that as soon as you pick up any real contact, you are roughing up the horse's lips.
    If you're not riding in contact, then use whatever you'd like - you're not going to be using the bit much anyways. HOWEVER - there are some bits that will inflict pain just by the contact of the headstall holding the bit up - such as a woodscrew bit or a mule bit.
         
        06-12-2010, 09:56 PM
      #90
    Green Broke
    Yeah Iridehorses my apologies! I work on a ranch myself and I have several friends who do as well. I definitely didn't mean it as an offensive term! I'll definitely be using moron next time lol
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Twisted Leg mayor16 Horse Health 26 11-27-2012 07:21 AM
    Twisted gut Maci Horse Health 10 04-04-2010 10:13 PM
    Wind twisted mane...... CopperHorse Horse Grooming 12 10-13-2009 11:36 AM
    Twisted wire snaffle question AirbrushBobby Horse Training 13 06-13-2009 12:18 AM
    Dbl wire twisted snaffle question AirbrushBobby Western Riding 2 06-10-2009 04:03 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0