Double twisted wire bit... - Page 9 - The Horse Forum

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 90 Old 06-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,332
• Horses: 4
I was just using the term used around here kevin. Not really sure what it's known as to everyone. But it's when they get on and beat and knock around expecting the horse to already know what they want. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.


Baby, Sparta, Carmen, Henry, Hooch, Mercedes, Butterscotch
lilkitty90 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 90 Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 344
• Horses: 1
what do you think of theese bits?


What do you think of these spurs?

Western Pleasure-because I can handle perfection.
Western Pleasure-the best way to have fun<3
sorelhorse is offline  
post #83 of 90 Old 06-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 344
• Horses: 1
Im going to be honest-I use these. The first bit only on rare occasions. Second one every time I ride western, and the spurs-mostly every time I ride, but I KNOW HOW TO USE THEM! You guys are forgetting the fact that even though the bit/spurs are harsh, its the rider who makes it harsh, and all in all, all bits are harsh if theres and idiot rider on them. I i disagree with the idea of its a lazy persons way ofgetting out of it, because its not. I don't see where you can make these judgements if you have never actually ridden a horse in one of these things.

Western Pleasure-because I can handle perfection.
Western Pleasure-the best way to have fun<3
sorelhorse is offline  
post #84 of 90 Old 06-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,289
• Horses: 0
You are right, I will never ride a horse in a snaffle like that. In my discipline, we ride with contact. THAT makes the difference. No rider could make that bit anything but nasty if ridden on any contact.

The spurs I have no problem with. They are kinder than prince of wales english spurs, IMO.
Allison Finch is offline  
post #85 of 90 Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,179
• Horses: 4
I'm with Alison - I ride in similar spurs and have no issue with that curb - but I ride with a contact and would never put a ridged/twisted mouthpiece in a horses mouth.

wild_spot is offline  
post #86 of 90 Old 06-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkitty90 View Post
i was just using the term used around here kevin. Not really sure what it's known as to everyone. But it's when they get on and beat and knock around expecting the horse to already know what they want. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.
Kitty, each time the term has been used in that way, it has been explained that it is an insult to those people who work on ranches or even aspire to it. We have so many members who fit the term "cowboy" in some way that it is very offensive to them (and to me). Just so that you know for the next time.

Call them a "yahoo" or even "moron" next time (LOL).

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #87 of 90 Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorelhorse View Post
what do you think of theese bits?


What do you think of these spurs?
ONLY for the highly educated.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #88 of 90 Old 06-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,180
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorelhorse View Post
Im going to be honest-I use these. The first bit only on rare occasions. Second one every time I ride western, and the spurs-mostly every time I ride, but I KNOW HOW TO USE THEM! You guys are forgetting the fact that even though the bit/spurs are harsh, its the rider who makes it harsh, and all in all, all bits are harsh if theres and idiot rider on them. I i disagree with the idea of its a lazy persons way ofgetting out of it, because its not. I don't see where you can make these judgements if you have never actually ridden a horse in one of these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Finch View Post
You are right, I will never ride a horse in a snaffle like that. In my discipline, we ride with contact. THAT makes the difference. No rider could make that bit anything but nasty if ridden on any contact.
The spurs I have no problem with. They are kinder than prince of wales english spurs, IMO.

FINALLY! Here we have 2 people that ride in VERY different disciplines, yet they UNDERSTAND each others methods and the uses. No attacks, no put-downs. Not even an agree to disagree, just an explanation as to why a bit won't work for one, while it works for another.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #89 of 90 Old 06-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Finch View Post
You are right, I will never ride a horse in a snaffle like that. In my discipline, we ride with contact. THAT makes the difference. No rider could make that bit anything but nasty if ridden on any contact.

The spurs I have no problem with. They are kinder than prince of wales english spurs, IMO.
Haha that's what I've been saying all along....
Personally I will never use a twisted mouthpiece ever again; I know what even the lightest contact can do firsthand, unfortunately (the trainer I was with taught me what not to do as well as what to do.)
The problem with twisted bits is that as soon as you pick up any real contact, you are roughing up the horse's lips.
If you're not riding in contact, then use whatever you'd like - you're not going to be using the bit much anyways. HOWEVER - there are some bits that will inflict pain just by the contact of the headstall holding the bit up - such as a woodscrew bit or a mule bit.


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #90 of 90 Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,332
• Horses: 4
yeah Iridehorses my apologies! I work on a ranch myself and I have several friends who do as well. I definitely didn't mean it as an offensive term! I'll definitely be using moron next time lol


Baby, Sparta, Carmen, Henry, Hooch, Mercedes, Butterscotch
lilkitty90 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twisted Leg mayor16 Horse Health 26 11-27-2012 06:21 AM
Twisted gut Maci Horse Health 10 04-04-2010 09:13 PM
Wind twisted mane...... CopperHorse Horse Grooming 12 10-13-2009 10:36 AM
Twisted wire snaffle question AirbrushBobby Horse Training 13 06-12-2009 11:18 PM
Dbl wire twisted snaffle question AirbrushBobby Western Riding 2 06-10-2009 03:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome