The dreaded english saddle package... - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 24Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,315
• Horses: 1
That's the thing though, the price tag value doesnt assure a good fit.
NBEventer likes this.

* I'm often reading and posting from mobile and Siri loves to make a mockery of the English language.
DancingArabian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,244
• Horses: 0
Gotta say... I can go out and by a $5000 Antares saddle(I wish) and plunk it on jo blows grade pony and it could fit like a dream then go and plunk it on the $50, 000 show jumper and it pinches in all the wrong places.

I am a Schleese person(as I have already stated) and they will even tell you not all styles of their saddles will fit every horse, even after all the adjustments they can do.

BB ~ 2014 Trakehner Bratty Mare ~ 1993 CSHA Em ~ 2007 Standardbred
NBEventer is offline  
post #33 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 637
• Horses: 1
The bottom line is, if a saddle fits, it works. My point is don't believe that just because the saddle is inexpensive it cannot ever fit a horse properly.
Posted via Mobile Device
NBEventer likes this.
HorseMom1025 is offline  
post #34 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 20,685
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBEventer View Post
Gotta say... I can go out and by a $5000 Antares saddle(I wish) and plunk it on jo blows grade pony and it could fit like a dream then go and plunk it on the $50, 000 show jumper and it pinches in all the wrong places.

I am a Schleese person(as I have already stated) and they will even tell you not all styles of their saddles will fit every horse, even after all the adjustments they can do.
Well that's exactly why you can't just go out and nuy any saddle and expect it to fit - regardless of cost. Different horse usually = different saddle
I have 5 horses they all have their own saddles and on top of that my husband and son also have a different saddle for when they ride the two they use because they need a larger saddle than I do to suit their own height/build
My 4 15.2's may be the same height but they are different widths and shapes
jaydee is offline  
post #35 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,185
• Horses: 3
I have 2 riding horses and each of them have their own saddle. The 14.2 h Arab has a different shape than the 15.3 h TB, so I certainly can't expect one saddle to fit them both.

The quality of the saddle doesn't guarantee fit, but you're more likely to find something that WILL fit your horse when it's a well made piece of tack versus some mass produced, slapped together for the masses crap.

I have an older Wintec and a vintage Stubben. Both are decently made saddles with the Stubben far outclassing the Wintec, but they're both good saddles made by respected companies.

Anyone can buy a saddle that fits 'okay', but I'd rather buy a well made saddle that fits GREAT.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!

Last edited by Speed Racer; 09-19-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Speed Racer is offline  
post #36 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,244
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Well that's exactly why you can't just go out and nuy any saddle and expect it to fit - regardless of cost. Different horse usually = different saddle
I have 5 horses they all have their own saddles and on top of that my husband and son also have a different saddle for when they ride the two they use because they need a larger saddle than I do to suit their own height/build
My 4 15.2's may be the same height but they are different widths and shapes
I don't disagree with you at all on this. That was not what I was trying to say I was saying that price does not always mean fit.

I shudder scream and pull my hair out when I walk into a barn that has no assigned saddles to their horses. Its just 'pick a saddle'. Which is why this mare has a sore back. She has not had a proper fitting saddle.

I believe every horse should have their own saddle and that fit should be top priority. However just because a saddle has a 4 figure price tag, it doesn't mean it will fit better then a saddle that might have a 3 figure price tag.

No one here is saying that fit isn't the top priority.

BB ~ 2014 Trakehner Bratty Mare ~ 1993 CSHA Em ~ 2007 Standardbred
NBEventer is offline  
post #37 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 20,685
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBEventer View Post
I don't disagree with you at all on this. That was not what I was trying to say I was saying that price does not always mean fit.

I shudder scream and pull my hair out when I walk into a barn that has no assigned saddles to their horses. Its just 'pick a saddle'. Which is why this mare has a sore back. She has not had a proper fitting saddle.

I believe every horse should have their own saddle and that fit should be top priority. However just because a saddle has a 4 figure price tag, it doesn't mean it will fit better then a saddle that might have a 3 figure price tag.

No one here is saying that fit isn't the top priority.
Yes I appreciate that and see what you are saying but my comment does support the fact that its not wise to buy a cheap unseen saddle of ebay or wherever and expect it to fit. A good quality saddle can often be re-stuffed and altered to suit if the basic size is correct but a cheap one likely can't. There is a big difference though between a cheap badly made saddle and a good second hand saddle that's a bargain - though there are fakes out there that can fall apart after a short time or be so badly made they are dangerous
jaydee is offline  
post #38 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,315
• Horses: 1
It just seemed like the argument was that it a saddle was cheap then by default it's a bad fit. Assuming that the tree is even and all that (and a defective tree can happen with an expensive saddle) I don't think there's a correlation between fit and price tag.

Treed saddles are uncomfortable as heck anyway!
Posted via Mobile Device
SaddleOnline likes this.
DancingArabian is offline  
post #39 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,185
• Horses: 3
I paid more for my Wintec than I did for my Stubben. There are bargains to be had if you know where to look.

Most of those cheapy new package deal saddles aren't even balanced. That, even more than the crappy leather that will fall apart within 6 months-1 year, is why I wouldn't buy one.

I don't find treed saddles to be uncomfortable at all, DA.
Kayty likes this.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!

Last edited by Speed Racer; 09-19-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Speed Racer is offline  
post #40 of 48 Old 09-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,315
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
I paid more for my Wintec than I did for my Stubben. There are bargains to be had if you know where to look.
They feel like someone set a 2x4 on the horse and tried to ride like that. How do you do it?!
Posted via Mobile Device
DancingArabian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Purpose English Saddle Package Kelly22790 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 06-28-2012 12:38 PM
16" Black English Saddle Package mliponoga Tack and Equipment Classifieds 6 04-24-2011 08:55 PM
Wanted-English Saddle Package yooperbug Tack and Equipment Classifieds 4 11-08-2010 04:45 PM
English Saddle Package F/S or Trade equinewoods Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 01-21-2010 02:37 PM
FS: English saddle package CowGirlUp9448 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 7 12-16-2009 11:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome