Dressage saddle with three billets? - Page 2

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Dressage saddle with three billets?

This is a discussion on Dressage saddle with three billets? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Dressage girth with over girth buckle
  • Can you cut off wintec overgirth?

LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Sorry that's just how my trainer does it! My middle billet dosn't drag that low.
Sponsored Links
    02-21-2010, 11:50 PM
So the other side doesn't have a longer strap with buckle, I assume?
My Isabell had an overgirth and it just had a long buckle..I ended up taking it off because it was annoying.
    02-24-2010, 02:33 PM
The very first billet is a safety billet. I usually use the first and the last one and not the middle.
    02-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Many dressage saddles have two long billets for the saddle, and a billet on the flaps, to hold them down. Often,as in the case of my saddle, the offside flap has a long buckled billet (girth) that buckles to the flap billet on the on side.

Often the riders legs, in dressage, will cause the thinner flaps to curl under the leg. The flap girths stop that. They are a pain, but I do not take them off. If your saddle has a standard thick flap, I probably would.

Your third long billet is at the same place as the other two? I can't say I've seen that before.
    02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Please, don't cut them off. If you really don't like the overgirth then take them to a saddle maker and have the straps removed.
You can also buy any girth and have a saddle maker put an overgirth onto it, or just have the saddle maker make an appropriate size/length strip of leather with buckles on either end that is separate from the girth.
I have seen mostly older model Stubbens with this kind of overgirth although I am fairly sure I have seen a courbette with one too. Personally, I am a fan of overgirths, I actually would like to get one put on my saddle :P Even though it has thick flaps, I can still get them "curled" up as Allison mentioned.

ETA: a lot of higher end saddles these days have a mechanism like an over girth, which is why we don't see them a lot. They will have a strip of leather on the top flap meant for a girth billet to go through and hold down the top flap. I call it a "billet loop", but pictures are eluding me right now.
Anyways, the billet holds down the top flap when it's through this loop, acting like an overgirth.
    10-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Did you find a 3 buckle dressage girth yet? My (very expensive) County Competitor is made like this and I have a few links to some girths. Definitely not like a close contact or all purpose English saddle where the 3rd billet is a safety measure only used if one of the others breaks, or for fit to body types. Definitely don't cut if off yourself. Amy

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking For A Used Dressage Saddle! BurningAmber520 Horses for Sale 1 03-26-2010 04:44 PM
Looking for: Two back Billets and a Cinch connector! BlackAmethyst Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 12-26-2009 08:39 PM
Looking for a dressage saddle barefoot Horse Tack and Equipment 15 06-22-2009 11:39 AM
dressage saddle help peanut Horse Tack and Equipment 5 02-21-2009 05:39 PM
Wintec 500 Dressage or other dressage saddle? Liberty Horse Tack and Equipment 7 01-25-2009 02:31 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0