English Girth size, convert to Western Cinch Size...Help!

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

English Girth size, convert to Western Cinch Size...Help!

This is a discussion on English Girth size, convert to Western Cinch Size...Help! within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • 32 western cinch converts to what size english girth
  • Do english girths measure the same as western

LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-31-2008, 02:53 AM
English Girth size, convert to Western Cinch Size...Help!

My horse is going to be shown Western on SUNDAY!
I have a saddle arriving in the mail for him on FRIDAY!
My local tack shop is not open on WEEKENDS!

So...I need to buy a cinch for him before I ever try on the saddle!

What size???

I've found websites that say "measure horse's heart girth, divide by 2, subtract 3...that's your girth and cinch size!" But I know Girths and Cinches for different disciplines are not going to be the same size...

My horse uses a 50" or 52" Girth on a huntseat saddle. Anyone know approximately what size Western cinch I should get for him?
Sponsored Links
    01-31-2008, 06:58 AM
I use 32'' for western and 46'' for english (my horse is 15 hh).

Look at this one:


Hope it helps!
    01-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Also, don't stress so much over western cinch sizes. They are much more adjustable than english cinches.

If in doubt, though, try not to get one that's too big.
    01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
I'd guess you need about 32" or a 34".
    01-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys! I think I'll probably be going with a 34. I read somewhere online that you can have between 1 and 8 inches of billet between the cinch and the saddle on each side. That's 16 inches of wiggle room in case I'm a little off! Like you said Tim: much more adjustable!
    01-14-2009, 04:08 PM
What size of english girth does my horse need?

My Quarter Horse mare wears a 33 western girth but I don't know what she needs for a english cinch.

Can some one please help me?

    01-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I found it really depends on saddle, padding, and all. I use 32'' western on my horses (14'3 and 15'1), but 48" or 50" english. When I got 46" english I couldn't even tie it on my Collegiate... However it was fine on Wintec...
    01-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Thaknk ya my friend gave me a 52" and its huge. I touch the saddle and it flips.
    01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Not thaknk but thanks
    01-16-2009, 06:15 PM
I have one more question. I'm getting a Pro-Craft Double Sided Waffle Weave Pad for my english and it's way thicker than my other pad & I have a a all purpose 500 wintec saddle. Should I use a 50" or a 48" cinch?

Thread Tools

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0