English saddle for a high withered TB - Page 2

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

English saddle for a high withered TB

This is a discussion on English saddle for a high withered TB within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Thorowgood saddle craigslist
  • Thorowgood saddle craigslist T4

LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-17-2008, 10:20 PM
If you weren't sure if the wintec fit or not, than myb e you could ask somebody else so there can be multiple opinions? In the meantime, you could simply use a witherpad (puffpad) to more or less cushion the horse's withers more under the saddle. I don't know how experienced you are with horses, but just make sure to pull up both pads into the pommel of the saddle before you tighten the girth.D
Sponsored Links
    07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Check out Thorowgood saddles. Dover Saddlery carries them and you can sometimes find them on ebay. I believe they come in 18". I have a 17 1/2" and it's a little roomier than my Courbette 17 1/2". They sell new for about $550 I think.

Thorowgood makes a saddle specifically for high withered horses. The T6 looks like a leather saddle, and I believe you can get it in close contact. They also have the adjustable gullet change system as well as inserts to fine tune the fit just a hair.
The under panels on the high wither saddle are a little wider, a little further apart than a standard saddle, to give the spine more clearance.
I got a high wither old Thorowgood for my mare, and she has been much more relaxed under saddle, no more tantrums, or crabby faces. My saddler adjusted my old saddle numerous times, said it fit her great, but I could tell my mare didn't think the same as he did.

Click on United Kingdom, then click on Product Range. Then you can read about the T6, T4, Maxum, and the accessories.
    07-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Added note: my Thorowgood is not that old, as might have implied. It's a fixed-width T4, high wither, which Dover was selling last year for about $450. I bought it used on craigslist for $300, in new condition, barely used.
It looks like the T6 doesn't come in high wither close contact, only a GP model is high withered. Also the T4 model, which costs less.
Thorowgoods have a lifetime guarantee on the tree, and with the gullet change kit the saddle may fit your next horse too!
    07-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Try to buy 'risers' they are pads you put under your saddle to help the fit

Thread Tools

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0