English Tack?????

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

English Tack?????

This is a discussion on English Tack????? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Things you need for an english saddle
  • Everything you need for a english saddle

LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-01-2008, 02:48 PM
English Tack?????

Okay well my 18th birthday is coming up in a few months and for my big gift I want a and English Saddle and everything else I need for it, but the thing is I never rode English and know nothing about it.
I see a lot of you ride English so I was wondering... what are all the things you need to ride with like grith and such. Now I do know that I want a All Purpose English Saddle
Sponsored Links
    07-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Green Broke
Saddles rarely come with anything other then the saddle itself. So you'll need a girth, stirrup leathers, stirrup irons, and a pad. If you have your own horse you'll probably want to get a bridle (some of them don't come with reins so be on the look out for that!), and a bit.
    07-01-2008, 08:48 PM
How exciting!

If you've never ridden English before an all-purpose saddle will be just fine. I wouldn't get anything really expensive since its just your starting saddle. Look for something that's well-priced, comfortable, fits your horse and is USED. You won't have to break it in, and it'll be cheaper, but still in great shape. I would suggest one with knee rolls. Since you're used to riding western, your leg is probably a bit forward when you ride and knee rolls will help push your leg back a bit, plus I find they are comfy! :P

Your saddle may or may not come with stirrup leathers and irons, so make sure you get those (try to match leathers colour with saddle colour). Since it is your first time riding English, I would strongly suggest getting safety stirrups. (They have a little elastic in place of metal on one side so if you should fall, your foot will not get caught. The elastic will snap off and your foot will be free).

You'll also need:
- a cinch (girth) ... your saddle may not come with one
>> I prefer one with stretchy at both ends where the buckles are (measure your horse's cinch area so it fits her well)
- saddle pad (an all-purpose one will do)
- a bit (probably a regular snaffle: o-ring or d-ring)
- well-fitting English bridle (preferably matching the colour of your saddle, but doesn't really matter)
- matching reins (they come in two pieces but attach in the middle)

Here's an example of what English tack looks like:
Http://www.horsecountrydiscount.com/images/1417comp.jpg(this one is brand-new but it has the knee-rolls, snaffle bit, etc).

Try maybe getting a package like in the picture, then you get the whole shebang! Good luck and happy birthday!
    07-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I agree with everything Jubilee said with the exception of getting a package deal. Sure, they're cheap and convenient, but you get what you pay for. It won't last you long at all and they can be downright dangerous. Spend a few extra bucks on a good quality saddle that won't fall apart on you. Or you can go with synthetic.
    07-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Wow thanks for all your help!!!! also I seen some nice ones on e-bay that where like $100 or so. I also looked on google and found a few. I already have a O-ring snaffle, a friend had two and she gave one to me a long time ago, plus my sister's friend was driving and saw a bunch of horse stuff on the side of the rode and gave it to us and it had a really nice pair of Iron stirrups with never been used stirrups straps still in package.

Thread Tools

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0