English tack - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 496
• Horses: 0
English tack

i just wondered what do you need for english rideing thinking about riding english abit.
kershkova is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,049
• Horses: 0
First off you need an English saddle. There are a few different styles of saddles for english. There are dressage saddles that are used for flatwork only and look like this...
They have longer, straight flaps and deep seats.

There are also close contact saddles that look like this...
They are used for hunter/jumper and show jumping most often. They have a flatter seat than other saddles and forward flaps.

Another style is the all purpose which has a deeper seat than a close contact saddle and was designed for both flatwork and jumping. It is kind of like a mix between the close contact and dressage saddle. Here is what they look like...

You will also need a bridle, which is pretty self explanatory. Except your hand position is much different in english than western as you hold the reins with two hands in english.

Girths are the same things as cinches and buckle onto the billets on each side of the saddle. There are diff. types of girths for dressage and close contact saddle and can be made of different material like fleece, neoprene, leather, etc.

Another thing you might find in english tack is martingales and breastplates. Martingales are used to control the horse's head carriage. The standing and running martingales prevent the horse from raising his head so high that he hits his rider in the face. A breastplate helps keep the saddle from slipping back.

I think that's basically all you need to know. If you need a more thorough explanation let me know.
mudypony is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 11-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Were ever a horse is
Posts: 76
• Horses: 1
CAn you explain a little about bits? like?
Curb bits?


Jacksonlover is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 11-17-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 496
• Horses: 0
Thank you if im not miss told you can use a plain saffle bit
kershkova is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Jackson, first, welcome to the forum.

Snaffle bit is any bit with no shanks for leverage. It can have a solid mouth, a joined mouth or a multi joined mouth.

A shanked bit is a leverage bit that utilizes a chin strap as well as the mouth piece for control. (The chin strap on this bit is attached to the rings on top - the same place as the headstall.)

A Pelham is an English bit that is meant to be used with two sets of reins. One set is attached the same as a snaffle and the second one is on the shanks like a leverage bit. The rider utilizes either set depending on what effect they want.

Those are just one example of each type. There are numerous variations of each.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

It's not always what you say but what they hear.

Last edited by iridehorses; 11-17-2008 at 08:14 PM.
iridehorses is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanted: bell boots, english saddle and other english tack hburke Tack and Equipment Classifieds 16 01-26-2011 08:07 AM
any english tack shops in wichita? KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Tack and Equipment 11 11-13-2008 11:05 PM
Looking for English Tack! amightytarzan5 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 08-03-2008 08:35 PM
English Tack????? Juno21 Horse Tack and Equipment 4 07-01-2008 11:05 PM
Your english riding tack! Magic English Riding 20 04-24-2008 04:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome