Happy mouth bit?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Happy mouth bit?

This is a discussion on Happy mouth bit? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Happy mouth recall
  • Happy mouth bit

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-14-2013, 10:51 PM
  #1
Foal
Question Happy mouth bit?

Hey! So you know the straight across happy mouth bit like the one I have shown, I was thinking about bits and watched a video about fitting in your horses mouth and how some can poke and hurt your horse. I'm not having troubles with my current bit it's just I was thinking of getting the most comfortable bit for my horse as I want to ensure its soft and not bugging her mouth. Since its a straight across piece of rubber it means it can't poke at the roof of the horses mouth or the tongue, right? And since its not metal it won't hurt the sides of the mouth at all or as much. Do you think this is a comfy bit? Any ideas thoughts or other bits you know of? Thanks so much guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (8.7 KB, 100 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-14-2013, 11:02 PM
  #2
Yearling
Subbing, I just bought a rubber half cheek snaffle and would love to hear info about rubber bits.
     
    01-15-2013, 07:06 AM
  #3
Showing
Some horses like them, some don't like that chewy thing in mouth. Personally I wouldn't buy one for my horses, because I know some horses that chewed it through to the metal in less than a year. I'm pretty sure my paint would do it even faster. With that being said some people on forum use them for years with success. I use nice gentle Mikmar lorgenzo (spell?), and both my mares are happy with it.

I'm also not positive if those bits are legal in show ring (have to look up the rules), at least I haven't seen anyone showing dressage in happy mouth around here.
Corporal and Stichy like this.
     
    01-15-2013, 08:23 AM
  #4
Foal
Ok thanks so much ill have to look up the rules
     
    01-15-2013, 09:17 AM
  #5
Trained
Yes they are legal for dressage and eventing !
I love my happy mouth bit and so does my horse. She has had it for over 3 years and has not chewed through it.
     
    01-15-2013, 12:52 PM
  #6
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl    
yes they are legal for dressage and eventing !
I love my happy mouth bit and so does my horse. She has had it for over 3 years and has not chewed through it.
Thanks for clarifying! I didn't have time to look up rules (as I said they are not very popular around here, so I wasn't positive).

I guess you are lucky with the horse. I know of several that chewed through the bit. I'm not all that rich to give it a try (especially since both my horses are happy in their bits).
     
    01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
  #7
Weanling
I once had a horse bite clean through a happy mouth while I was on it. I put the bit in a little chewed but not badly by a long shot, she pulled a strop while I was riding and took off bucking, I tried to take hold of her with my reins - and next thing half a bit comes flying out her mouth and I have no reins on a broncing, spooking maniac. Managed to stay on her until someone on the ground managed to grab her by the breastplate... But if that had happened out on a hack or something it could've ended badly. Have ridden countless horses very happily in mouths previously, but this put me off them for life. Now they go in a metal snaffle, and have to learn to accept that.
     
    01-15-2013, 01:24 PM
  #8
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by minstrel    
I once had a horse bite clean through a happy mouth while I was on it. I put the bit in a little chewed but not badly by a long shot, she pulled a strop while I was riding and took off bucking, I tried to take hold of her with my reins - and next thing half a bit comes flying out her mouth and I have no reins on a broncing, spooking maniac. Managed to stay on her until someone on the ground managed to grab her by the breastplate... But if that had happened out on a hack or something it could've ended badly. Have ridden countless horses very happily in mouths previously, but this put me off them for life. Now they go in a metal snaffle, and have to learn to accept that.
That's quite odd as happy mouth bits have a wire core - so a horse simply cannot bite through and take off. Perhaps it was a cheap knock off or another type of bit?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-15-2013, 01:44 PM
  #9
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by minstrel    
I once had a horse bite clean through a happy mouth while I was on it. I put the bit in a little chewed but not badly by a long shot, she pulled a strop while I was riding and took off bucking, I tried to take hold of her with my reins - and next thing half a bit comes flying out her mouth and I have no reins on a broncing, spooking maniac. Managed to stay on her until someone on the ground managed to grab her by the breastplate... But if that had happened out on a hack or something it could've ended badly. Have ridden countless horses very happily in mouths previously, but this put me off them for life. Now they go in a metal snaffle, and have to learn to accept that.
THis happened to one of our liveries - the horse was being fractious, started bucking then jumped a small hedge along the track into a field where it galloped round until the woman baled out - quite entertaining to watch but very dangerous
The horse had started biting on the bit and the metal wire running through it was snapped - there have been recalls over the years with this fault
So saying - I do use them and like them especially if you get a horse that's a bit nervous of its mouth - just wouldnt have one on a horse that had a tendency to chew and bite on the bit!!!
     
    01-15-2013, 02:11 PM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee    
THis happened to one of our liveries - the horse was being fractious, started bucking then jumped a small hedge along the track into a field where it galloped round until the woman baled out - quite entertaining to watch but very dangerous
The horse had started biting on the bit and the metal wire running through it was snapped - there have been recalls over the years with this fault
So saying - I do use them and like them especially if you get a horse that's a bit nervous of its mouth - just wouldnt have one on a horse that had a tendency to chew and bite on the bit!!!
It was really scary, maybe I rely too much on my reins but suddenly having absolutely nothing was more horrible than just being bucked off! I have used them successfully with, as you say, horses who come behind the bit or with very sensitive mouths who can't take a contact in a regular metal snaffle. However, I had believed the mare I was riding that day to be one of these... and in a moment of panic she bit clean through it. So using one might be a good intermediate step in teaching a sensitive mouthed horse to accept a contact, but now I'd be wary of using one full-time... and since then I haven;t come across a horse even with a sensitive mouth that doesn't adjust to a mullen mouth snaffle (often with copper or sweet iron).
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy mouth bits? Hoofprints in the Sand Horse Tack and Equipment 21 08-27-2012 10:34 AM
Happy mouth bit recall Back2Horseback Horse Talk 1 06-09-2012 10:39 AM
Happy Mouth Bits Amblin Cowgirl Horse Tack and Equipment 16 04-10-2011 11:56 AM
Happy Mouth bits? QHDragon Horse Tack and Equipment 24 07-27-2010 12:32 AM
happy mouth bits gypsygirl Dressage 10 01-03-2010 12:33 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0