head gear no metal in mouth reviews no slander - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

head gear no metal in mouth reviews no slander

This is a discussion on head gear no metal in mouth reviews no slander within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • How to ride an unbittable horse
  • Happywheels hackamore

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-05-2011, 09:12 PM
  #11
Trained
That hackamore bridle in the first link scares me.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-06-2011, 05:57 AM
  #12
Foal
Ok bubba hit me up! Tell me am I stupid to want to start my yearling then in a little s
I am a loose ring snaffle lifer but this mare will take the snaffle she is just so darn uncomfortable in it never ever seen a reaction like this so I looked in her mouth and sure she has a fat tongue and flat roof I could see there is no room I was just going to get a happymouth french link or a rubbermullen but my mind started wandering and after looking at the whole Nutural,happy wheels,sidepull .Having said that I do realize that if she has perfect groundmanners in a halter I can ride her in most anything since the horse then gives to pressure and obeys you.I guess I am trying to wiggle my way out of my roundpen work and I just want to ride her I was hoping a side pull would help her give to pressure but getting older I do not want to have her take me for a ride with me just hanging on and having no brakes...
     
    11-06-2011, 09:39 AM
  #13
Banned
Just curious as to why you're specifically interested in hackamores or other bitless tools?

I am a great believer in having a variety of tools in your tack room; and I have known horses who for a variety of reasons go better bitless. The vast majority of horses I've known, however, do go perfectly well and happily in some sort of bit (finding the right one with the right fit can be a challenge, though.)

However, there's a current trend for people who are promoting bitless to start out by saying bits are bad or bits are cruel, which I have a serious problem with.

Bitless has merit ON ITS OWN, as a alternative tool, there's no reason to bash bits to encourage people to think about bitless.

All controlling devices work on the principle of pressure/release. The difference between the various devices is *where* they apply the pressure. Some horses don't respond well to pressure on the bars of the mouth, but do to pressure on the nasal bone or pressure on the poll. It's really just a question of figuring out what works best for the horse you're working with.

I am hoping some of the other knowledgable folks on the forum will discuss the mechanics of the varioius devices in greater depth.
     
    11-06-2011, 11:41 AM
  #14
Foal
[QUOTE=maura;1223990] All controlling devices work on the principle of pressure/release. The difference between the various devices is *where* they apply the pressure. Some horses don't respond well to pressure on the bars of the mouth, but do to pressure on the nasal bone or pressure on the poll. It's really just a question of figuring out what works best for the horse you're working with. QUOTE]

Well said:)

I think it is a good idea to start out with what your horse is the most relaxed and responsive in that also helps you reach your goals in the most gentle way possible. What is best today may change based on your goals and riding discipline, depending on the level of skill and training you and your horse hope to attain.

A snaffle may give more lateral flexion, a curb bit may give more vertical flexion or drop for western pleasure class or you may need more shoulder lift for dressage or better rate for barrels.

The more skilled the rider, the less severe the headpiece - be it bit, hackamore or bitless. The more skilled the rider, the better communication and performance with the horse. Bad hands hurt the horse, period. Head tossing and bridle evasion can occur no matter what is used if it is used incorrectly or not the right match for the horse.

My horse loves his sprenger short hackamore with curb strap. His wolf teeth are just now coming in, I started him on a rope halter and he responds like a champ to nose pressure. When his wolf teeth are pulled, I'll use a snaffle for arena dressage work and continue the hackamore for trail rides.

My other guy is in a full cheek sweet iron snaffle and soon to be trying out his new western style curb bit.
     
    11-06-2011, 01:08 PM
  #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by northswedish    
ok bubba hit me up! Tell me am I stupid to want to start my yearling then in a little s
You're stupid! There!
No, but I don't think it's a good starting tool (and when you talk about your yearling, I'm assuming you mean down the road at least a year....).

I really don't like using the Little S except on horses who have been taken through the snaffle first, then a curb bit, and only then a hackamore, since it's action is similar to that of a curb bit. Now, if you got one of those English hackamores with a leather curb, that might be a slightly different story.

I am, however, a fan of starting a horse in a rope halter. And really, if you have a soft horse, you have plenty of control in that. You might also look into a jumping hackamore:



I've recently become a fan and want to purchase one. Works off the nose and acts like a sidepull--only I've found that you have more control/finesse than with a normal sidepull.

Quote:
I am a loose ring snaffle lifer but this mare will take the snaffle she is just so darn uncomfortable in it never ever seen a reaction like this so I looked in her mouth and sure she has a fat tongue and flat roof I could see there is no room I was just going to get a happymouth french link or a rubbermullen but my mind started wandering and after looking at the whole Nutural,happy wheels,sidepull .Having said that I do realize that if she has perfect groundmanners in a halter I can ride her in most anything since the horse then gives to pressure and obeys you.I guess I am trying to wiggle my way out of my roundpen work and I just want to ride her I was hoping a side pull would help her give to pressure but getting older I do not want to have her take me for a ride with me just hanging on and having no brakes...
She is a yearling yet, so I'd give her a couple more years before deciding she's "unbittable." And while there's no law that says she ever has to take a bit, you might play around with some mullen mouths (probably metal as opposed to fat rubber) just to see if you can make any progress.
     
    11-06-2011, 01:53 PM
  #16
Foal
Talking keep it comming

No she turned 1 in may being a draft she has all the strength I had no intention of started backing her until she stepped of the trailer I was expecting an Arabian sized yearling and had fenced the pasture thinking something babylike was heading here. I would say she is as strong as a 3 year old arab not talking endurance but size and force.This not even a year old horse is full-blown in the sense there is no awkward proportions she is not tall at all but the breed matures very different from an Arabian.Wish I could post a video of me just tooling around putting a saddle on her also I do not even weigh 100lbs.She is a very nice mare kind but strong as heck I could see her plow a feild today not breaking a sweat.I actually took her on a ride and decided to bail out as opposed to ride it out now that was stupid and stupid again very stupid and I had just the brindle took the bit away and the rains popped out. Still she will go in a bit at some point. I believe in control and physical contact I also love to give a horse release and see what they decide to.She is so calm introducing her to new things like me putting a saddle on her that she realy tricked me on to her back it is all her fault!
If you think I can hold her in a side pull I will I love the jaquimas colombian hackamores the reason I started the post is simple I got no experience with bitless other than riding in a halter even nice cows I ridden in halters. If you have a facebook account she is in my video list
     
    11-06-2011, 01:56 PM
  #17
Banned
Drafts mature slower than other breeds. I strongly urge you not to ride her until age three. It's not your weight that's the problem--it's just pushing her physically, turning, going faster than a walk, etc.
Golden Horse likes this.
     
    11-06-2011, 02:07 PM
  #18
Foal
All the calluses and bumps a human gets learning never shocks anyone at the morgue we live longer lives and have way more damage done to us than most bitted horses.I was hoping not to have a post about my opinion But since you asked and it has already gotten political I was hoping for a fact based picture of item and effect of item thing:) but I am not shy so here it goes horses bite and kick as a last resort when someone is out offline push and shove when some one is being rude and signal with tail and ears skin to let the world know what they think as well as positioning so they are body language as much as we are.In horse handling the bit serves a purpose and so does the crop it gives a puny human a longer arm. I just can not afford to purchase and try I wanted to find something that will work. All I ever used is a loose ring snaffle never thought I needed to get anything else.I started my first own Arabian mare in one and she was great wish I had that bit here to try just to see but this filly has a different mouth.
     
    11-06-2011, 02:17 PM
  #19
Trained
Please do not ride your yearling, she is not ready, mentally or physically for a rider, it is abuse pure and simple, I don't care how big she is.

As to thoughts on bitless, I agree with rope halter, side pull, or the jumping hack that Bubba posted, you do not need metal and mechanical levers for a baby just starting out.

At a year old if she is having problems it is due to her simply not being ready for what you are asking of her.
     
    11-06-2011, 02:40 PM
  #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by northswedish    
No she turned 1 in may being a draft she has all the strength I had no intention of started backing her until she stepped of the trailer I was expecting an Arabian sized yearling and had fenced the pasture thinking something babylike was heading here. I would say she is as strong as a 3 year old arab not talking endurance but size and force.This not even a year old horse is full-blown in the sense there is no awkward proportions she is not tall at all but the breed matures very different from an Arabian.Wish I could post a video of me just tooling around putting a saddle on her also I do not even weigh 100lbs.She is a very nice mare kind but strong as heck I could see her plow a feild today not breaking a sweat.I actually took her on a ride and decided to bail out as opposed to ride it out now that was stupid and stupid again very stupid and I had just the brindle took the bit away and the rains popped out. Still she will go in a bit at some point. I believe in control and physical contact I also love to give a horse release and see what they decide to.She is so calm introducing her to new things like me putting a saddle on her that she realy tricked me on to her back it is all her fault!
If you think I can hold her in a side pull I will I love the jaquimas colombian hackamores the reason I started the post is simple I got no experience with bitless other than riding in a halter even nice cows I ridden in halters. If you have a facebook account she is in my video list
Can you please put your thoughts into separate paragraphs to make it easier to read.

Think about it that each thought has its own paragraph.

To this point your posts are too confusing to respond further.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CALLING ALL FULL SIZE HEAD HORSES!Cribbing/biting muzzle and english head set/w reins Gidget Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 11-14-2010 03:37 AM
Bit Question - Types of Metal MyBoyPuck Horse Training 18 11-16-2009 08:37 PM
who like death metal ect? librahorse94 General Off Topic Discussion 1 05-11-2008 05:40 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0