Helmets Opinion
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Helmets Opinion

This is a discussion on Helmets Opinion within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Charles owenS aerate helmet
  • Gpa air helmet opinion trail riding

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
  #1
Foal
Helmets Opinion

I have been searching online for some opinions/ reviews of helmets as I have to purchase a new one.

I used to have a GPA, and got it stolen when I moved out, a big issue , but this is not the point of this thread. I ended up buying a IRH and was surprisingly satisfied with it, I fall off more than once and I can say it saved me probably more than once too ? It lasted a good 5 years ( I know you are suppose to replace every 2-3 years, but the last 2 years did not involve as much riding as the first 3 years)
Now, I feel like it is time to invest in a new one, I am not sure if I should go for another IRH, or go to something else?
GPA are said to be really good and their reputation proove the safety and comfort of their product.
I also heard about samshield, a big deal in europe, and i'm not sure if it made it to the USA yet?


My question is, what are you looking for in a helmet? And why?
What are you avoiding, and why?

Safety and comfort would be my main point when looking at helmet, but how do you know if it's going to last? I have read some reviews about the same product from different people who had completely different opinions, so who do you end up trusting?

After safety and comfort, I look for aeration, I live in Florida and might stay in Florida for a few years still, so temperature are high most of the year, which is where a nice aerate helmet makes a difference.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-28-2011, 06:24 PM
  #2
Showing
You get what you pay for with helmets, typically. GPAs are phenomenal if you can afford one, but more economical are IRHs. I have an IRH and love, love, love it.
     
    02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
  #3
Weanling
For safety and comfort, I say Tipperary. I LOVE mine..most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, and I feel safer as it goes lower on the back of the head than most helmets do. Mine is the "sportage" model, GREAT for trail riding....after 50 miles of riding it's still comfortable.

One thing I can't speak for is that, if you're showing, I don't know whether it'd be accepted or not. I have no idea what the guidelines are there...

Here's a link to a picture of it: Tipperary Sportage Plus Helmet - Quality Tack at Outlet Prices - VTO Saddlery
     
    02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by equiniphile    
You get what you pay for with helmets, typically. GPAs are phenomenal if you can afford one, but more economical are IRHs. I have an IRH and love, love, love it.
which model of IRH do you have? Do you sweat a lot? I tended to sweat too much in my opinion, but again, I live in florida so it is hard not to sweat
     
    02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlalriiee    
For safety and comfort, I say Tipperary. I LOVE mine..most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, and I feel safer as it goes lower on the back of the head than most helmets do. Mine is the "sportage" model, GREAT for trail riding....after 50 miles of riding it's still comfortable.

One thing I can't speak for is that, if you're showing, I don't know whether it'd be accepted or not. I have no idea what the guidelines are there...

Here's a link to a picture of it: Tipperary Sportage Plus Helmet - Quality Tack at Outlet Prices - VTO Saddlery

I have not shown in the USA, so im not sure of the guidelines,
I have seen this helmet before I did not know the brand name. They look nice and like you say, safer on the back, but most helmets now have a better protection of the lower part of the head and neck, than it used to
     
    02-28-2011, 06:40 PM
  #6
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dally    
which model of IRH do you have? Do you sweat a lot? I tended to sweat too much in my opinion, but again, I live in florida so it is hard not to sweat
I haven't had mine for very long, the true test will come in summer!! I have this one:
ATH HELMET BLACK WITH GUNMETAL-Big Dee's Tack & Vet Supply
     
    02-28-2011, 06:46 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by equiniphile    
I haven't had mine for very long, the true test will come in summer!! I have this one:
ATH HELMET BLACK WITH GUNMETAL-Big Dee's Tack & Vet Supply


Oh poop, it is the one I have right now,
Good thing is, it lasted 5 years, really comfortable, and so safe ! Never crack once when I fell,
Bad thing, no air going through, I hate having my head all sweaty when I ride, and worst thing is the helmet being wet afterwards
     
    02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
  #8
Green Broke
LOVE my charles owen!
     
    02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
  #9
Weanling
I guess I can't speak for airflow...I never get too sweaty in my helmet, but I live in Maine so it's hard to get too warm anyway!
     
    02-28-2011, 10:19 PM
  #10
Green Broke
I have the same exact same helmet as Amlalriiee. I ride CTR with it. 25 miles and it's still comfy. I don't notice I'm wearing it. No sweat -- and that's something to say; I give in Georgia...Light as a feather... I LOVE it.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Helmets moores77 Horse Tack and Equipment 11 09-29-2010 11:41 AM
Helmets -- HELP! eventerwannabe Horse Tack and Equipment 11 01-08-2010 10:15 AM
Western Show Helmets - opinion? 7Ponies Western Riding 36 09-25-2009 04:13 PM
The Parellis' Opinion on Helmets -- ???? JustDressageIt Horse Talk 23 09-21-2009 02:33 PM
Helmets MIEventer Horse Tack and Equipment 28 07-16-2009 10:15 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0