So I'm buying my first horse and I'm trying to shop for tack for her. I want to buy a saddle, bridle, girth, stirrups, and leathers, and although I've been riding a while but when it comes to picking tack I really have no idea what I'm doing. Help??
Saddles - I found three within what I want to spend that look good:
1. HDR Advantage Close Contact (cheap, but I can't test-ride a used one)
2. M Toulouse Candice Close Contact (test-ride available)
3. Bates Caprilli Close Contact (on sale, test-ride available)
- What are the differences between these saddles? Which do you like best?
- Should I even be looking at close contact ones? I'm looking to ride for fun, do some trails and flat and jump around, nothing too serious.
- Should I be looking somewhere else for better saddles for just as cheap? I'm just familiar with smartpak so I've been looking there.
Bridles - I can't decide... which do you like better? Would the first one look weird if I had a lighter brown saddle?
1. Plain bridle
2. "Fancy Stitch" bridle
A few additional questions:
- Is a leather halter with fleece things good for a 13 hr trailer trip?
- For shipping, should I use shipping boots that velcro or use those quilt wrap things? And if quilts, do those get wrapped around with polos or something else?
- Would my horse be a cob or regular horse size for a halter? (Picture of her)
Thank you so much, if you can answer any of my questions at all that would be so helpful!!