Help Identify this Western Saddle Pad

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Help Identify this Western Saddle Pad

This is a discussion on Help Identify this Western Saddle Pad within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

    Like Tree1Likes

    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-17-2013, 07:21 PM
    Green Broke
    Help Identify this Western Saddle Pad

    I borrowed a pad from my barn manager today for my ride, and I really liked it. Looked nice, seemed to fit with the saddle, was overall good. Unfortunately, there was no tag or brand stamp anywhere on the pad, and the manager doesn't even remember how it came into her possession.

    It's a black felt square pad with leather wear guards where the girth goes, and over the wither area. The two felt sides aren't continuous all down the spine, but held together with a leather piece over the spine. It has a contoured back with wither relief hole. Underneath the girth wear guard there's a cut out from the felt where the girth goes- there's felt everywhere else along, but right there it's just the leather without felt. There are about 5 layers of felt pressed together on the edge of the pad, but in what would be the shape of a square skirted saddle it's thinner- probably about 3 layers.

    Anyone know what pad I'm talking about? Knowing my luck it'll be priced at more than I'm wanting to spend, but I was hoping to find it just so I could inquire Not having a brand on it makes finding it difficult, but it also makes me wonder about the quality too...
    Sponsored Links
        11-17-2013, 07:30 PM
    I don't know what it is but I'm subbing because it sounds like exactly what I've been looking for myself! It kinda sounds like a Reinsman I've been looking at but I'd think they would have their logo on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
        11-17-2013, 07:37 PM
    Green Broke
    Originally Posted by redpony    
    I don't know what it is but I'm subbing because it sounds like exactly what I've been looking for myself! It kinda sounds like a Reinsman I've been looking at but I'd think they would have their logo on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That's what I was thinking! I've seen quite a few possibilities, but they all seem to have a brand either stamped into the leather wears, or a tag on the leather piece by the withers! I'll probably still get the diamond that I've been eyeing, but I thought I'd give it a shot and see if I could find this one.
        11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
    Green Broke
    Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to find it, but I'm still not having any luck :(
        11-21-2013, 03:20 PM
    Can you post a pic? That would really help!
        11-21-2013, 03:34 PM
    Green Broke
    I don't have it on my person, unfortunately. I didn't think to snap one when I had it, and it belongs to the barn manager. I may actually see if she wants to sell it, lol.

    The description pretty much covers it, but I've looked at numerous black contoured wither relief pads with leather pieces that look similar. None of them seem to have the thinner part in the center, though. I found a Weaver one that looked like it did, but it had a brand stamp on it. This one has nothing! Guess it's easier for someone to look at a picture and say "THAT'S my pad!" than to try and decode a description :P

    It's kind of a long shot, I know. Worth trying though!
        11-21-2013, 11:36 PM
    It might not even be manufactured anymore.
    stevenson likes this.
        11-21-2013, 11:41 PM
    It sounds like this pad

    Dura-Tech® Close Contact Felt Pad
        11-22-2013, 12:36 AM
    Green Broke
    Originally Posted by BreakableRider    
    It sounds like this pad

    Dura-Tech® Close Contact Felt Pad
    The back looks about the same, but the bottom piece of leather is one solid piece. Just a few inches of felt on each side where the girth would be is cut out... otherwise it looks outwardly solid.

    I'm also leaning towards it isn't being made anymore, unfortunately. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anything that was the same. Or anything with the thinner portion where the saddle goes, but thicker along the edges. I can't think of a technical term for that though, so my searching might be off :P
        11-22-2013, 09:23 AM
    The name eludes me but I think those pads are high priced, maybe in the $250-300 range. As soon as I read about the leather strip down the middle the cogs started to turn. Saddle pads can do only so much despite claims made by manufacturers. Sometimes just a plain old brown felt pad with wear leathers for well under a $100 is just as good if not better. Have you tried adding a thin felt pad under yours. Wool is natural to the horse and it may give you that little extra you need. It should be buff colored felt, not white or black and they contain more synthetic.

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:


    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Can anyone identify this western saddle?? Cowgirl08 Horse Tack and Equipment 5 07-02-2012 06:16 PM
    Saddle pad slipping reallllyyyy bad in Western Saddle KT65 Horse Tack and Equipment 2 04-13-2012 11:49 PM
    15' Western Saddle, Bronc Halters, SMB, Saddle Pad, Etc.(sale/trade) CalypsoKaos Tack and Equipment Classifieds 4 01-18-2012 02:22 PM
    Would like to identify western saddle nrobertb Horse Tack and Equipment 1 07-25-2011 12:09 AM

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 AM.

    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0