Horse shoe is not good! - The Horse Forum

 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Assam,India.
Posts: 19
• Horses: 0
Horse shoe is not good!

How long does a horse shoe last if the horse is used on concrete roads on a regular basis? Why people don't use temporary shoes like dog shoes for horses? That would remove the need of using nails on hoofs.
Posted via Mobile Device
ujjal05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,886
• Horses: 3
Do a search on the forum for shoeing and barefoot. This has been and will continue to be a debate. There are plenty of people who use boots for horses. I prefer shoes.

Personally I am tired of the barefoot enthusiasts telling me not to shoe my horse. I would rather everyone preach how important REGULAR hoof care is.
WickedNag is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alabama,USA
Posts: 3,909
• Horses: 1
There are "shoes" like "dog shoes."

They're called hoof boots.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sunny is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Typically a steel shoe can list up to 6 months on regular ground but I would suspect that the time is a lot shorter on concrete.

There are boots that you can use in place of shoes but they aren't very cost effective and the horse's hoves need to be trimmed anyway.

As for nails in their hoves, they are going in an area that is nerve free and the horse shouldn't feel it at all.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 115
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNag View Post
Do a search on the forum for shoeing and barefoot. This has been and will continue to be a debate. There are plenty of people who use boots for horses. I prefer shoes.

Personally I am tired of the barefoot enthusiasts telling me not to shoe my horse. I would rather everyone preach how important REGULAR hoof care is.
Oh Thank God!!! I am so tired of people telling that a natural hoof is a better hoof... In my opinion which ever one is best for that particular horse is the right choice.
The Copper Kid is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,290
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Copper Kid View Post
Oh Thank God!!! I am so tired of people telling that a natural hoof is a better hoof... In my opinion which ever one is best for that particular horse is the right choice.
And that is all there is to it, the needs of the horse, some are good barefoot, some need shoes, depends on the horse, his work, and the terrain he has to work in.
Speed Racer and jumanji321 like this.
Golden Horse is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,011
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse View Post
And that is all there is to it, the needs of the horse, some are good barefoot, some need shoes, depends on the horse, his work, and the terrain he has to work in.
this, I agree with it. Whatever you need for that horse inpartucular is what you should do. Each horse is diffrent, and depending on what jobs they do and what kind of life they live those spacific needs can vary. My horse is barefoot, I prefer it that way. But if , in the future, his needs change and it would benifit him to have shoes then, guess what, he gets shoes. And in the future if I buy a horse that needs shoes, cool. So be it. Every horse is diffrent, we need to take that into consideration and respond acordingly in ways that will benifit them.

As for boots. There are boots that can be used for stuff like road riding, rough terrain etc however they are not very nice on the pocket book, its more convient to have shoes, and many horses don't like to boots. Plus even if you need them for road rides, certain horses may still need shoes for happy, healthy feet.

In my opinion anyways

No hoof, no horse.

As for how long your shoe will last when being regularily on roads. Do some research and as your farrier as well, i'm sure he/she will know

Beauty is not diminished by those who refuse to see, hear,feel or in any way sense it. If you refuse to see beauty its you who is weakened.
AngieLee is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,648
• Horses: 6
Working hard on concrete, your shoe will not last long, and your horse will not last long, either. Arthritis, concussive force, horse with shortened lifespan.
Appyt likes this.
bubba13 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Typically a steel shoe can list up to 6 months on regular ground .
Let me correct that - 6 weeks is typical and depending on how hard the horse is ridden, the farrier can reshoe with the same shoes for another 6 weeks.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,198
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post

There are boots that you can use in place of shoes but they aren't very cost effective and the horse's hoves need to be trimmed anyway.
Just wondering why you think that boots aren't cost effective? I use boots instead of shoes because I believe it is most more cost effective, I pay 40 for a trim every 4 weeks, and a pair of boots cost me 125 and they can last for years. It would cost me $90(I think) every 4 weeks(her feet grow very quickly) to shoe my horse. So by using boots I'm cutting my farrier costs in half + some. She doesn't even need the boots all the time, just when I take her on the trail because you don't know what the terrain is going to be. The only reason I even have to use boots is because a crappy farrier trimmed her feet too short when I moved her to a boarding stable. My normally farrier does do shoes also and he also does a great trim. This guy who the barn uses I wouldn't let him trim or shoe my horses ever again, I now have a barefoot trimmer do the horse there since my normal farrier doesn't go that far.
Appyt likes this.
Rachel1786 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
should i shoe my horse? horseymad Horse Grooming 17 08-05-2011 04:33 PM
To Shoe or not to Shoe a Missouri Foxtrotter? snazzydandy Gaited Horses 15 07-17-2011 11:12 AM
Should I Shoe My Horse Or Not ? Fifi Bay Horse Talk 11 12-02-2010 09:22 PM
My horse keeps losing his shoe! Emmy Horse Health 9 07-25-2010 01:14 PM
shoe name for my new horse morganshow11 Horse Shows 13 06-25-2009 07:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome