How did the Bit break?????????
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

How did the Bit break?????????

This is a discussion on How did the Bit break????????? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • What did the bit
  • Horse stepped on reins ripped bit thru mouth

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-07-2011, 10:07 PM
  #1
Weanling
How did the Bit break?????????

My dad got the bridle from some people he works with that had horses but hasn't had them for awhile and the tack were sitting in their shed. The bit looked fine and I rode him about 4 times since having him about 3 wks. I used the bit each time. I did today have the reins tied around the horn and when I came back outside, they had come loose but he was still tide to the tree via the lead rope. He had stepped on the reins and the bridle was still on his head but the bit had broke where the snaffle bit joins in the middle. I was thinking if anything from that the straps or reins would have broken before the bit but maybe the bit even though it looked fine, maybe it was on the brink of breaking even though it didnt appear to have any weaknesses.

Just wanting to know if it is common for them to give like that?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-07-2011, 10:11 PM
  #2
Trained
I don't have any suggestions for how yours broke, but a few weeks ago a horse at the summer camp I work at broke the shank below the swivel joint on a Tom Thumb. None of us know how. But they're horses. The way they manage to break things and themselves is astounding.
     
    08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon    
I don't have any suggestions for how yours broke, but a few weeks ago a horse at the summer camp I work at broke the shank below the swivel joint on a Tom Thumb. None of us know how. But they're horses. The way they manage to break things and themselves is astounding.
lol maybe he knew a way to get around getting rid lol. I guess as I get more into it, I will always keep a few extras of everything
     
    08-07-2011, 10:32 PM
  #4
Showing
Yep, some of the cheaper made bits can have defects in the metal that give them weak spots that are prone to break even if they look okay from the outside. I'm just glad it didn't happen when you were riding, that would have been a bad deal all around.

A few extra of everything is never a bad thing LOL. We have about 8 different bridle setups with another 3 or 4 loose bits of all different kinds hanging around the tack room.
     
    08-07-2011, 10:34 PM
  #5
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs
A few extra of everything is never a bad thing LOL. We have about 8 different bridle setups with another 3 or 4 loose bits of all different kinds hanging around the tack room.
Until the beginning of the summer, I had two bits in my bag of random horse stuff..my horse hates bits and doesn't use one.
     
    08-08-2011, 12:16 AM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon    
Until the beginning of the summer, I had two bits in my bag of random horse stuff..my horse hates bits and doesn't use one.
well how do you ride lol. I hope the dawgone piece that broke off didnt get swallowed!!!!!!!!

Will it pass thru in the waste possibly if if did? I did tie the reins to the horn but I should tied it twice, like in a knot that wasnt too tight. How do you guys have the reins when you are not on the horse and maybe have him tied via the lead rope?

Or if no lead rope, I guess you would have to tie to a tree or something via the reins right?
     
    08-08-2011, 01:18 AM
  #7
Banned
Never tie a horse by the reins. I also won't leave a horse unsupervised when wearing a bridle, even if only tied by the halter. Too risky, and I've seen a horse die that way. The reins were leather split reins tied in a knot; they went over his head and he got a hind leg hooked him them. He panicked and flipped over on his head.

Did you check his mouth thoroughly for cuts and injuries? He could have really lacerated his tongue.
     
    08-08-2011, 01:29 AM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13    
Never tie a horse by the reins. I also won't leave a horse unsupervised when wearing a bridle, even if only tied by the halter. Too risky, and I've seen a horse die that way. The reins were leather split reins tied in a knot; they went over his head and he got a hind leg hooked him them. He panicked and flipped over on his head.

Did you check his mouth thoroughly for cuts and injuries? He could have really lacerated his tongue.
I will go do that right now
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LTB Break away halter NyHorseGal Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 07-18-2010 12:35 AM
A Break from the Arena :) anrz Horse Pictures 4 02-27-2010 08:29 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0