how do you stop your horse from ripping its blanket?!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

how do you stop your horse from ripping its blanket?!

This is a discussion on how do you stop your horse from ripping its blanket?! within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • How to prevent rips in horse blankets
  • Blankets horses cant rip

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-10-2011, 04:14 PM
  #1
Foal
how do you stop your horse from ripping its blanket?!

I have a goofy, coming 7 year old, Appendix QH gelding. He is forever ripping his blankets ... it seems like he does it just to be spiteful! I bought a brand new rain sheet last fall, he wore it a few times .. and now it looks like an attack dog got to it! I haven't found anything yet to make him stop!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
  #2
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblin Cowgirl    
I have a goofy, coming 7 year old, Appendix QH gelding. He is forever ripping his blankets ... it seems like he does it just to be spiteful! I bought a brand new rain sheet last fall, he wore it a few times .. and now it looks like an attack dog got to it! I haven't found anything yet to make him stop!
they make bitter apple for dogs, I wonder if you can spray that on his blanket, it's basically rubbing alcohol, they may make something like that specifically for horses i'm not sure, I don't have that problem luckily
     
    01-10-2011, 04:59 PM
  #3
Banned
Find out why he is doing this. He is probably bored. Maybe you can put him in a different pasture with other pasturemates to keep him entertained; Hope this helps.
     
    01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
  #4
Yearling
If he's pastured with or near other horses they are likely the ones causing the trouble. Horses tend to bite each other a lot, even just playful nips. There's stuff that you can get for when your horses legs have to be wrapped (I can't remember the name right now) but you have to be very careful not to get it in your mouth or eyes.

I've also heard that hot sauce can work with some horses. I tried it once but they just stood there licking it off.
     
    01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuadteagan    
Find out why he is doing this. He is probably bored. Maybe you can put him in a different pasture with other pasturemates to keep him entertained; Hope this helps.

He is out with 3 mares and 2 other geldings. I had thought about him being bored, so got some jolly balls .. and he just stands there looking at them, and walks away!
     
    01-10-2011, 05:10 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksly    
If he's pastured with or near other horses they are likely the ones causing the trouble. Horses tend to bite each other a lot, even just playful nips. There's stuff that you can get for when your horses legs have to be wrapped (I can't remember the name right now) but you have to be very careful not to get it in your mouth or eyes.

I've also heard that hot sauce can work with some horses. I tried it once but they just stood there licking it off.


It used to be him and another young gelding would rip each other blankets apart, but that gelding is gone, and none of the others will go near him ( he's a bit of a cranky pants ). I know its him ripping it, because I stood on the deck and watched him rip it once I had it on him. I tried hot sauce too, and he still did it!
     
    01-10-2011, 05:14 PM
  #7
Foal
This is just some of his handiwork .. * rolls eyes *
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (55.6 KB, 279 views)
     
    01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
  #8
Yearling
Wow, that's really bad. Would it be possible to take it in and get it patched? That's all what I can do when Jesse rips his.
     
    01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
  #9
Foal
I probably will end up getting it fixed, but it seems pointless if he will just do it again!
     
    01-10-2011, 09:03 PM
  #10
Super Moderator
What's the denier (strength) of the fabric his blankets are made out of? If it's less than 1200D, that could be your issue...
I had a 600D blanket on my 25 year old mare last winter and even she managed to rip that thing like nobodies business, and she's not very playful at all!

Ripped blankets are very frustrating!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to stop a horse..? Western Horse Training 10 10-19-2010 09:43 AM
How do I get my new horse to stop bucking? cloudkisser Horse Training 4 10-02-2010 02:32 PM
Horse won't stop 'jiggin' kiwigirl Horse Training 1 11-28-2009 12:38 PM
Can't stop my Horse teddyboy Horse Training 43 08-28-2009 09:26 AM
Kids ripping out grass to give to our horses??? Lizz Horse Health 11 07-06-2009 10:58 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0