How to take off Name Plates from Strapgoods?!?!

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

How to take off Name Plates from Strapgoods?!?!

This is a discussion on How to take off Name Plates from Strapgoods?!?! within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • How to take off name plate on trophy?
  • How to get name plates off tack

LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
How to take off Name Plates from Strapgoods?!?!

So, I just bought some REAL nice quality tack at REAL cheap prices. Only problem: previous horse's brass nameplates! How do I get those things off? On some, the rivet thingee is flat on front and back, on others it is flat on front, and hollow on the back. I hope that makes sense. Help!
Sponsored Links
    01-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Maybe wirecutters or pliers of somesort? Or you could possibly grind off the rivets if you have a metal grinder. It sounds like a job I would pass on to my husband or dad. Lol
    01-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Green Broke
Is there a tack shop around you who puts them on? They will be experts in taking them off! (and possibly replacing them with plates of your own...)
    01-27-2009, 08:14 PM
You need to drill out the rivets from the back. If you've never worked a drill it would be better to let someone show you how or do it for you.
    01-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Drills work best but if you have a large punch or tap and a hammer you can punch it out. If your not sure about it, best to have a professional do it. Look for either a tack shop, saddle maker or shoe repair place. They should have the tools to do it properly.
    01-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Sorry to DP but I wonder if you could use a dremel tool to buff/grind off the old name and then engrave yours on. Just a thought
    01-28-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks for all the responses! But darn, I was hoping it would be easy!!

I think I'm too scared to try to drill them out myself. Maybe I'll check with my local shoe shop or else I'll bring them to a good tack shop next time I'm in the big city. I don't think my local tack shop does that kind of thing.
    01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
You might even try a dry cleaner that does alterations or an auto-body shop. They often have the tools that removes rivets. Not sure if they would be the right kind but it wouldn't hurt to ask I'm sure the cost would be cheap to free if you ask nice.
    01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Those are great ideas Maureen. You can also try an auto repair place, or a hardware store.
    01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I only have the tool that puts rivets in

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Name plates *grin* My2Geldings Horse Pictures 7 12-04-2008 11:32 PM
Saddle, Name Plates My2Geldings Horse Talk 4 09-01-2008 04:18 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0