Miss my English reins but now riding "western"..
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Miss my English reins but now riding "western"..

This is a discussion on Miss my English reins but now riding "western".. within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Forum trail ride after lesson
  • Can english reins be used for western riding

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Endiku

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
  #1
Foal
Miss my English reins but now riding "western"..

I have recently gotten back into riding after a long break! I took formal dressage lessons for years but now all I am interested in is laid back trail riding!
I am leasing a horse and I use the owners tack. Western tack. The reins on both bridles are thick.. almost like a rope and short, the end tied in a knot.
I remember my dressage reins being much thinner and a lot LONGER...

I am so tempted to just buy some english closed reins and stick them on! I guess I don't see why I couldn't???
I think western split reins are longish as well but they don't seem appealing to me.

I wonder if anyone else out there mixes tack from discilines?? I love the western saddle it's super comfy for trail rides, though!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
  #2
Weanling
I mix tack from different disciplines all the time My young mare actually snapped my Dressage reins (in the leather part making them unfixable) last fall so I use Western reins now. They're barrel/reining style with snaps on the end. Considerably shorter than my Dressage reins as well, but they serve a purpose & I'm too lazy to buy new reins lol.

Picture of the reins (it's a huge picture so didn't want to actually post it up - tinypic won't let me edit -_-)
http://i50.tinypic.com/2j3o5ko.jpg
     
    05-14-2012, 04:26 PM
  #3
Banned
Hey, it's trail riding. As long as its strong enough to take a beating; use whatever you want!! It's the glory of trail riding, no one really cares and you're open to ride in a clown suit if you really wanted too

I have like four different sets of reins, leather ones with grips, gaming rope reins, long reins, split reins, ect. It all depends on how you and your horse ride and what's comfortable for you :) Just make sure its sturdy enough you can rely on them in a pinch since you'll be out on trails and not just outside the barn.

Happy Trails
     
    05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SketchyHorse    
I mix tack from different disciplines all the time My young mare actually snapped my Dressage reins (in the leather part making them unfixable) last fall so I use Western reins now. They're barrel/reining style with snaps on the end. Considerably shorter than my Dressage reins as well, but they serve a purpose & I'm too lazy to buy new reins lol.

Picture of the reins (it's a huge picture so didn't want to actually post it up - tinypic won't let me edit -_-)
http://i50.tinypic.com/2j3o5ko.jpg

I can see they look short but the material looks nice!
     
    05-14-2012, 04:41 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianimalz    
Hey, it's trail riding. As long as its strong enough to take a beating; use whatever you want!! It's the glory of trail riding, no one really cares and you're open to ride in a clown suit if you really wanted too

I have like four different sets of reins, leather ones with grips, gaming rope reins, long reins, split reins, ect. It all depends on how you and your horse ride and what's comfortable for you :) Just make sure its sturdy enough you can rely on them in a pinch since you'll be out on trails and not just outside the barn.

Happy Trails

Excellent advice, thank you! I might mosey down to the tack store and see what is available
     
    05-14-2012, 04:49 PM
  #6
Banned
Hey, if you can't find anything there I know Chicks has been having a ton of sales on some of their stuff!! Here's a link to their website.

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com
     
    05-14-2012, 06:12 PM
  #7
Teen Forum Moderator
Not me, I NEVER mix my tack.

Tianimalz likes this.
     
    05-14-2012, 06:13 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassaflash    
I can see they look short but the material looks nice!
They are a nice sturdy material. I couldn't tell you anything about them except I got them in a giant pile of tack at a horse auction LOL. They're short, but I do like them. They're on all my western headstalls haha. Although I haven't stumbled across any like those.

Braided Cotton, only problem is they get dirty FAST (this is supposed to be my show headstall anyways... see how that doesn't happen though? Lol)
http://i45.tinypic.com/rsv344.jpg

I've got ones like this as well:
Triple E X-Long Poly Gaming Rein w/Snap Ends - Statelinetack.com

Can't find any pics of me using them (probably because I just got them back from my student lol), but they're quite a bit longer than those others.
     
    05-17-2012, 04:52 PM
  #9
Yearling
OP, I primarily ride english but sometimes I like to switch it up a bit and ride western for fun. I too can not STAND split reins and was having a hard time finding reins that I liked. I then found these and LOVE them.. they are just like english reins and aren't a mile long!

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Buffalo Leather Of The Rockies Twisted Roping Rein

I also bought this headstall just so they would match

https://www.rootintootin.com/catalog...562f8399d01e9c
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confused about english and western riding, mainly the reins? SRich Horse Riding 30 11-05-2011 07:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0