Moldy tack??
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Moldy tack??

This is a discussion on Moldy tack?? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Moldy reins and saddle
  • Moldy horse tack

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-29-2011, 10:17 AM
  #1
Weanling
Moldy tack??

So I got this english breastplate second hand a few years ago. Long story short, it didn't help my gelding's saddle slipping, and it sat in the barn for a while. It was hanging in a bag under my saddle (the bag was open, not sealed), and when I took it down the breastplate was full of mold! I mean, lots of fuzzy mold. Nothing else in my barn has ever molded over, so I am pretty sure it already had the mold spores in it before I bought it. I have since cleaned it up and stored it inside, where it has not molded again, but I do not want to store it with the rest of my tack, as I don't want to transfer the mold spores. Is this a reasonable fear? I also don't feel right selling it to someone if it will just get moldy every time it is outside, and possibly introduce mold to the rest of their tack. Other than that, it is in good condition. Should I just throw it away since I don't want to use it, or do you think it is sellable? Thanks a lot .
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-29-2011, 11:31 AM
  #2
Green Broke
Molding is common for tack that's been sitting around. Just give it a good scrub, lay it out in the sun if you're worried about it, and it will be fine.
     
    01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
  #3
Green Broke
Clean it wil some vineager and water. 3 parts water
     
    02-03-2011, 12:01 AM
  #4
Showing
There are no guarantees that tack won't get moldy so don't worry about it if you wish to sell it.
     
    02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
  #5
Green Broke
It's usable. The next time it molds, if you still have it, a soppy wipe down with straight white vinegar will kill it.
     
    02-03-2011, 08:03 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
Clean it wil some vineager and water. 3 parts water
The reason leather gets moldy is that there is moisture in the leather. Using water will put more moisture in it. Wipe the mold off as best as you can and use neetsfoot oil on it. The leather will soak up the oil so you'll have to apply it several times. When it seems to stop soaking up the oil. Leave it overnight and wipe off any excess in the morning. The oil will also help soften the leather.
     
    02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
  #7
Green Broke
And oil is not moisture?

Mold spores cause mold. They do need moisture to grow, but they don't need much and aren't too picky about the type of moisture. Vinegar kills the mold spores. That's the point in using it on moldy tack. I don't agree with diluting the vinegar with water as that would decrease it's efficacy, but it might still work. In any case, the mold should be killed off before oiling or conditioning the leather, otherwise it will just come back when the conditions are right.
     
    02-04-2011, 09:59 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
And oil is not moisture?

Mold spores cause mold. They do need moisture to grow, but they don't need much and aren't too picky about the type of moisture. Vinegar kills the mold spores. That's the point in using it on moldy tack. I don't agree with diluting the vinegar with water as that would decrease it's efficacy, but it might still work. In any case, the mold should be killed off before oiling or conditioning the leather, otherwise it will just come back when the conditions are right.
Oil is a fluid but not moisture/water that mold needs to grow. It repels water or moisture. Oil doesn't evaporate like water. If you put oil on something, it may be absorbed but is still there. Moisture also will cause leather to crack when dried, but oil keeps leather soft and flexible. As for the mold spores, if they are causing mold on your tack, they are everywhere around there. Yes you could kill whats on your tack, but even a slight breeze could put more back on. You would have to disinfect the whole barn to remove all the spores and everything that anyone brings in it after that.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old, dry, and moldy tack... Rockey Horse Tack and Equipment 11 01-19-2010 04:41 AM
Given an old, moldy Aussie saddle should I keep it? Info needed.. travlingypsy Horse Tack and Equipment 8 02-12-2009 03:22 PM
Moldy Hay - compost or burn? Cat Horse Health 9 01-08-2009 09:35 AM
Moldy hay = :( Got2Gallop Horse Health 9 12-08-2008 09:40 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0