Moving barns. Need a checklist.
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Moving barns. Need a checklist.

This is a discussion on Moving barns. Need a checklist. within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Moving barns?
  • Checklist for moving a horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-15-2011, 07:53 PM
  #1
Foal
Exclamation Moving barns. Need a checklist.

I'm horribly unorganized and odds are I'm going to forget something. I'm mopving three hours away, so I kinda can't forget anything. I'm moving from a show barn, to a western ranch so its a huge change and I need to worry more about packing myself for my new school than have panic attacks over what I bring for my horse. Thank you to everyone in advance!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-16-2011, 02:36 AM
  #2
Trained
I have no idea what you own or would keep at the barn, but wouldn't all of your tack and stuff be in one spot?
     
    03-16-2011, 09:49 AM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon    
I have no idea what you own or would keep at the barn, but wouldn't all of your tack and stuff be in one spot?
You'd be surprised.
     
    03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
  #4
Banned
I would probably start by taking all the things you do not NEED every day home from the barn right now. Take them, get them all packed so they are safe and not a worry anymore.

Take your basic every day needs and organize them. If you need to, make a list of what you have. Put them in your tack trunk and do not keep anything (other than your saddle) at the barn that does not fit into your tack trunk.
If you do not have a tack trunk get a tote of some type.

This way, on moving day you have to remember your horse, your tack trunk and your saddle. Period.
     
    03-16-2011, 10:21 AM
  #5
Yearling
I would sit down one day with a big pad and get different kits together eg
First aid
Grooming
Tack cleaining
Travelling
Show kit
Rugs
Etc
Then bring home everything you do not need like all you need for now is your tack and two brushes everything else comes home. Put it in big black bags and label them.

This is what I did for a horse I just sent on lease. I washed everyhting then put it in seperate bags so she had nummnahs in one boots in another etc I also brought samples of feed from home to help her adjust by adding it to the new feed and a huuge haynet to mix through.
     
    03-16-2011, 08:59 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiStar    
I would sit down one day with a big pad and get different kits together eg
First aid
Grooming
Tack cleaining
Travelling
Show kit
Rugs
Etc
Then bring home everything you do not need like all you need for now is your tack and two brushes everything else comes home. Put it in big black bags and label them.

This is what I did for a horse I just sent on lease. I washed everyhting then put it in seperate bags so she had nummnahs in one boots in another etc I also brought samples of feed from home to help her adjust by adding it to the new feed and a huuge haynet to mix through.
Thank you! That helped a lot! Now, I know this is off topic, but it's a 3 hour drive to the new barn, so do I put shipping boots on him and a shipping halter? I know I have a trainer to help me, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
     
    03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    
I would probably start by taking all the things you do not NEED every day home from the barn right now. Take them, get them all packed so they are safe and not a worry anymore.

Take your basic every day needs and organize them. If you need to, make a list of what you have. Put them in your tack trunk and do not keep anything (other than your saddle) at the barn that does not fit into your tack trunk.
If you do not have a tack trunk get a tote of some type.

This way, on moving day you have to remember your horse, your tack trunk and your saddle. Period.
Thank you! That helps a lot.
     
    03-16-2011, 10:24 PM
  #8
Yearling
I would put travel boots all round a tail bandage poll guard and depending on weather a travel sheet
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving boarding barns, YAY! MacabreMikolaj Horse Talk 8 03-07-2011 02:11 AM
~ Moving Barns -- Long Post flamingauburnmustang Barn Maintenance 7 02-07-2010 04:12 PM
Moving barns v. staying put thesilverspear Barn Maintenance 0 09-01-2009 05:56 PM
Behavior after moving barns alimat Horse Health 2 11-10-2008 11:10 AM
Moving Barns!!! appylover31803 Horse Talk 11 06-07-2008 01:44 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0