Multiple Horses...One Saddle? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Multiple Horses...One Saddle?

This is a discussion on Multiple Horses...One Saddle? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-21-2010, 08:06 PM
      #11
    Green Broke
    You should not fit a saddle using extra pads. It can work in a pinch for a short ride, but it is not a good idea. You can cause the horse to have back pain and/or fatigue. It's like trying to wear shoes that are two sizes to big with extra thick socks. Or wearing clothes that are too big by putting on lots of layers underneath. Neither one is very comortable.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-21-2010, 08:07 PM
      #12
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
    Try putting your stock horse western saddle on a tall Thoroughbred or a small Arabian. Not going to happen, lol.
    In fact I do. I have Alamo trail pleasure saddle I use on my stocky qh as well as narrow high withers paint (she's tb type). It has quarter horse bars (I don't think Alamo has semi-qh bars) and really high clearance. But it was a pain to find one, which would be fine for both of them - took me couple weeks of driving around and looking at different ones.

    P.S. I use the same pad on both of them.
         
        03-21-2010, 08:09 PM
      #13
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quixotic    
    Most Arabs actually tend to take a wider tree, but a lot of them probably don't get that because it's assumed that they'd need a narrower tree, since overall they tend to look more delicate.
    True, but QH bars or Full QH bars on most western saddles are going to be too long for an average Arab's back and have the wrong "flare" in the front. They need a wide gullet, but different angled bars and definitely shorter bars. That's why we have "Arab" saddles .

    Quote:
    But I agree, it's hard to find a saddle that will fit everyone you put it on. My trainer has a Stubben Siegfried that somehow magically seems to fit everyone - her 17.2 Hanoverian, my bony TB, her draft cross, etc.
    I have a couple of Stubbens that are pretty versatile (versitale? Lol) as well. Passiers have a "magic" tree in them too. It's because the tree points on both saddles (the older models particularly) are shorter and the pommels usually have some cut back. The shorter tree points make fitting easier and the slightly cut back pommel gives some room for high withers.
         
        03-21-2010, 08:11 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
    In fact I do. I have Alamo trail pleasure saddle I use on my stocky qh as well as narrow high withers paint (she's tb type). It has quarter horse bars (I don't think Alamo has semi-qh bars) and really high clearance. But it was a pain to find one, which would be fine for both of them - took me couple weeks of driving around and looking at different ones.

    P.S. I use the same pad on both of them.
    Very cool! But see, both horses need about the same bar angle, you just have one with giant withers . A typical TB is going to be narrower than a typical stock horse, so he will need those steeper semi-qh bars, plus mega clearance for the withers. Of course, there are wide TBs out there. I had one as a teenager. He looked part draft almost, lol. But, he was very atypical.
         
        03-21-2010, 08:15 PM
      #15
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
    You should not fit a saddle using extra pads. It can work in a pinch for a short ride, but it is not a good idea. You can cause the horse to have back pain and/or fatigue. It's like trying to wear shoes that are two sizes to big with extra thick socks. Or wearing clothes that are too big by putting on lots of layers underneath. Neither one is very comortable.
    I said "properly padded" not over padded. I train horses for a major part of my income and I ride them all in the same saddle. I check daily for signs of soreness or for the start of sores and I have yet to find any. I ride mostly stock horses but I have ridden arabs, TBs and drafts for at least a month and often two months with no problems. I also ride harder than most of the members of this forum.
         
        03-21-2010, 08:30 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Some problems take more than 30-60 days to show up. I'm glad you've had good luck so far.
         
        03-22-2010, 06:17 AM
      #17
    Weanling
    Thanks for all the replies, but I think my post was misunderstood.
    Though it would be nice to have a saddle that fit the horse I ride often very well, that's not very practical if I get to college and none of their horses fit the saddle at all. Money down the drain.
    The question I'm asking is more along the lines of "Is there a saddle I can get that will fit most horses an English rider will flat and jump - of course assuming they don't have an extremely wide or skinny back or very high withers."
    I think writing the post I got a little distracted and wrote about some other stuff too.
    In addition (since the topic is in discussion) I have been told that accurately played saddle pads can make an ill fitting saddle feel at least a bit better by at least not letting it pinch them. (For example: A tall skinny horse with tall withers only fits well one saddle in the whole barn. Unluckily for everyone else, this is someone's private saddle and they do not share. We throw this pad I forget the name of at the moment on top of a square pad when we ride her with the school saddles. Not exactly sure why.)
    Anyway, sorry for getting off topic there in the beginning. That wasn't very useful.
         
        03-22-2010, 07:16 AM
      #18
    Showing
    Welcome to the forum, Tymer.

    One thing in your original post bothered me, why are they using a horse with a sore back?

    Alright, aside from that question, the advise I would give you is not to buy a saddle until you have your own horse. Since you are taking lessons on various horses, and you intend to go to an equine college (unless I misread that), you don't know what you will ride.

    I really know the thrill of owning my own tack. I take care of my things as much as I do my horses and I had some of my bridles made for me over 25 years ago. A bride can fit nearly all horses but a saddle, and especially an English saddle, is much more particular.

    My advise is to take the money from your 16th birthday, keep adding to it and when the time comes, you will have a heck of a bankroll for a first class saddle.

    BTW, a Wintec, although a nice saddle as a starter, is a low line saddle at best.
         
        03-22-2010, 08:13 AM
      #19
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
    Very cool! But see, both horses need about the same bar angle, you just have one with giant withers . A typical TB is going to be narrower than a typical stock horse, so he will need those steeper semi-qh bars, plus mega clearance for the withers. Of course, there are wide TBs out there. I had one as a teenager. He looked part draft almost, lol. But, he was very atypical.
    Yes, that's certainly seems to be true. It's kinda funny though, because one is very narrow in chest comparable to other one. I believe what Alamo calls "qh bars" is something in between semi-qh and qh, and that's why it fitted them both. I remember contacting them about it at some point.
         
        03-22-2010, 04:37 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridehorses    
    Welcome to the forum, Tymer.

    One thing in your original post bothered me, why are they using a horse with a sore back?

    Alright, aside from that question, the advise I would give you is not to buy a saddle until you have your own horse. Since you are taking lessons on various horses, and you intend to go to an equine college (unless I misread that), you don't know what you will ride.

    I really know the thrill of owning my own tack. I take care of my things as much as I do my horses and I had some of my bridles made for me over 25 years ago. A bride can fit nearly all horses but a saddle, and especially an English saddle, is much more particular.

    My advise is to take the money from your 16th birthday, keep adding to it and when the time comes, you will have a heck of a bankroll for a first class saddle.

    BTW, a Wintec, although a nice saddle as a starter, is a low line saddle at best.
    To answer your question, she doesn't exactly have a sore back but she is recovering from some nasty blanket sores.

    I love your advice, but I'm fairly set on getting a saddle. I've found that in general a horse I don't ride every day is going to fit most given horses unless they're awkward. If I started riding the same horse every day for a long time and the saddle wasn't a great fit I would change to a friends or get one.

    And right now I keep having to "borrow" people's private saddles because there are none of the Wintecs left whatsoever. Without asking them, because all the people who have saddles who are THERE are using them. Don't really enjoy that...

    What's kind of bugging me is that all of you are saying that its difficult or impossible to have a "general" English saddle yet I know a lot of people who DO have English saddles they use on every horse they ride (which is many) without a hitch. I dunno, maybe they're doing something wrong.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Horse blanket size for multiple horses caljane Horse Tack and Equipment 15 12-05-2013 07:14 PM
    How much for a multiple horse discount? starlinestables Barn Maintenance 21 12-30-2009 11:49 PM
    Multiple Riders - How much is too much? StylishSeattle Dressage 5 04-16-2009 05:41 PM
    Show colors for multiple horses? RubaiyateBandit Horse Shows 6 04-08-2009 08:54 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0