Originally Posted by poultrygirl
I'm an arizona kid--we have no mold, anywhere.
Anyone had moldy tack? What ended up happening? Any advice? Was just vinegar good enough? I swear for the rest of the day I've had a sore throat and can taste vinegar...Its probably in my head.
It is in your head... literally!
If you are not used to, or have not been exposed to very much mold in your life it can make you feel sick to varying degrees. Although some people are not bothered by it, some are. Everyones body reacts differently to mold and it affects the sinuses and throat most often before causing other symptoms. I would suggest you wear a little face mask or bandana over your mouth and nose when working on this saddle, then washing your hands and face well after working on the saddle until the mold is under control.
Some people (like me) are allergic to molds and it can make us
VERY sick if exposed to high levels.
I visited a new tack shop last week (middle of winter here, mind you) and although it smelled like a normal tack shop, after being there for about 10 minutes my eyes started to burn and I got really congested. In talking with the owner while browsing, I found out there had been some mold issues with the tack the previous wet summer, but she swore she cleaned all the tack very well.
Apparently she didn't quite get it all, which is no surprise considering she had about 200 saddles or better...
I'm still stuffy today because of it and that was only a mild exposure for me.