Need help fitting this OTTB with a saddle
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Need help fitting this OTTB with a saddle

This is a discussion on Need help fitting this OTTB with a saddle within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Kimberley saddle fit for OTTB
  • Where can i buy a saddle for an ottb

Like Tree11Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-24-2013, 02:24 AM
  #1
Foal
Need help fitting this OTTB with a saddle

Trying this again..

I just got an OTTB with shark fin withers and am having a hell of a time finding the right saddle to get for him. I live in El Paso TX so finding english tack is extremely hard, let alone a saddle fitter. So basically I'm on my own and all I have ever owned are wintecs and QHs, so this is way out of my knowledge. Any advice on what brands and types of saddles to look for would be much appreciated, as well as sites that have good trial policies for saddles. I do not want to buy something I can't try first. I don't have much to spend, need to keep it under $1000 and plan on showing hunters.

This is a previous thread I made seeing if I could fix the fit with some kind of pad.. It has pictures of him without the saddle so you can see what I'm working with.
Need help finding a pad for OTTB with high narrow withers

He has been out of work for a long time so doesnt have much of a topline.

Please help. I really want to be able to ride him. All we've been doing is groundwork and lunging over poles and small jumps to work on his muscling.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-24-2013, 07:09 AM
  #2
Weanling
For my high withered tb, Thorowgoods fitted great (the high wither version).
     
    03-24-2013, 11:05 AM
  #3
Foal
I was looking at the thorowgoods but I would have to import from Europe to get a decent price and I would not be able to try it out before I buy it
     
    03-24-2013, 11:36 AM
  #4
Foal
I've heard some good things about the Thorowgood T8 (other than the fact that you'd probably have toimport it). I was recently looking into this saddle for my mare but I had found a proper fitting collegiate instead that I'll have to pair with specialized half pad with a wither cut out.

Talk to your local saddlery. They often offer customized fitting services and will bring multiple saddles out to your barn to try on your horse and wild help you find a good fitting combination.
     
    03-24-2013, 12:23 PM
  #5
Yearling
The old Passiers tend to fit the Thoroughbreds well. The Germans understood the build of the tall, high-withered sport-breeds. I had my 1976-vintage Passier on a high-withered elderly TB last week. There wasn't a whole lot of clearance, but just enough. I've never ridden in a newer Passier, so I don't know if they have the same fit as the old ones.
You can find them on eBay, search all of Craigslist using "adHunt'r", and I've found them on websites like Pelham saddlery and St Croix saddlery - they let you try them and allow returns.
     
    03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusK    
I've heard some good things about the Thorowgood T8 (other than the fact that you'd probably have toimport it). I was recently looking into this saddle for my mare but I had found a proper fitting collegiate instead that I'll have to pair with specialized half pad with a wither cut out.

Talk to your local saddlery. They often offer customized fitting services and will bring multiple saddles out to your barn to try on your horse and wild help you find a good fitting combination.
Like I said..There are no tack shops or saddle fitters around here. I only have the option of online. And I need to get something they will allow me to try on trial first. I'm trying to figure out what brands usually work for high withered thoroughbreds so I have a place to start when ordering trial saddles.
     
    03-25-2013, 08:55 PM
  #7
Yearling
I forgot to mention that with reputable online shops like the ones I mentioned, they can be very helpful finding a saddle to fit your horse. Take a wither tracing about 2" behind the rear edge of the scapula, using a flexicurve or coathanger. Take another one from the withers down the length of the back, about 2" to the side of the spine (take it where the panel will sit). Trace them to paper or cardboard. Take pictures, and e-mail or fax it to the online shops. That can help them rule out saddles that definitely won't fit and get you pretty close. Most people on eBay or Craigslist tend to be too clueless to be of much help with tracings and fit. They'll just tell you "oh, it's fit every horse I've had it on". Yeah, right.

Maryland Consignment Saddlery - Crofton and Galloping Grape are worth a try as well.
     
    03-25-2013, 09:03 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSchingen    
Like I said..There are no tack shops or saddle fitters around here. I only have the option of online. And I need to get something they will allow me to try on trial first. I'm trying to figure out what brands usually work for high withered thoroughbreds so I have a place to start when ordering trial saddles.
I've used the collegiate brand on quite a few high withered horses including a "sharkfin" withered thoroughbred and Warmblood. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-25-2013, 09:28 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by freia    
I forgot to mention that with reputable online shops like the ones I mentioned, they can be very helpful finding a saddle to fit your horse. Take a wither tracing about 2" behind the rear edge of the scapula, using a flexicurve or coathanger. Take another one from the withers down the length of the back, about 2" to the side of the spine (take it where the panel will sit). Trace them to paper or cardboard. Take pictures, and e-mail or fax it to the online shops. That can help them rule out saddles that definitely won't fit and get you pretty close. Most people on eBay or Craigslist tend to be too clueless to be of much help with tracings and fit. They'll just tell you "oh, it's fit every horse I've had it on". Yeah, right.

Maryland Consignment Saddlery - Crofton and Galloping Grape are worth a try as well.
Thanks I will have to try that. I called Dover today and talked to a lady for a while and then I emailed her pictures of my horse and have not heard from her again....hopefully she will get back to me soon.
     
    03-26-2013, 06:22 PM
  #10
Trained
Hastilow Competition Saddles, USA

This place sells Thorowgood saddles in PA.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddle fitting...help! shellybean Horse Tack and Equipment 1 01-20-2013 10:53 PM
Saddle Fitting? Allaboutdreams Horse Tack and Equipment 18 09-18-2012 07:04 AM
Saddle fitting help! Saskia Horse Tack and Equipment 1 04-26-2012 04:36 AM
is my saddle not fitting jannette Horse Tack and Equipment 4 12-02-2011 09:44 PM
saddle fitting speedy da fish Horse Tack and Equipment 4 06-18-2010 10:57 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0