Need help fitting this OTTB with a saddle - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
Thorowgoods are a lot more expensive in the US. I found a used Passier Comet II for $550. I think that is a great deal and a good saddle for high withers cuz it's so cut back. Anyone have one of these or know anything about them? I think I have convinced the seller to let me return it if it does not work for me, so I dont see the harm in giving it a try, especially for that price! I was looking at spending a lot more than that on a lesser quality, new saddle.. so if this works out I will be very happy!
KSchingen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 47 Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,275
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSchingen View Post
Thorowgoods are a lot more expensive in the US. I found a used Passier Comet II for $550. I think that is a great deal and a good saddle for high withers cuz it's so cut back. Anyone have one of these or know anything about them? I think I have convinced the seller to let me return it if it does not work for me, so I dont see the harm in giving it a try, especially for that price! I was looking at spending a lot more than that on a lesser quality, new saddle.. so if this works out I will be very happy!
If you get the serial number that's stamped on the billet guard on that Passier, you can email Passier at passier@passier.com, and a very helpful, knowledgable gentleman will respond within 24-48 hours with the seat size, tree size, model number and manufacturing month and year. Note that about 80% of Passiers are a medium width. Between the wide gullet, short points, and the cutback pommel, they just seem to fit a decent range of shapes. The Passier I use on a shark-finned TB is a medium.

A friend of mine has a Comet from the late '60s (still a solid tree with supple leather - gotta love German craftsmanship)). I ride her horse in it, and I love it. It has lots of support without the blocks getting in the way of communicating with the horse. I know they still make the Comet, and I assume it's gone through a few design iterations over the decades, though.

BTW, my daily-rider Passier is a 1976 model. It's in mint condition and I paid $300 including shipping. The flocking was horrid, so by the time I had it reflocked and slathered it up with a tub of leatherbalm, I had put $600 into it, if that gives you a price reference point. I felt I got a good deal. The price on yours is or isn't a good deal depending on the year it was made and the condition. Without knowing either, that price is not at all bad for a Passier.
KSchingen likes this.

Last edited by freia; 03-26-2013 at 08:32 PM.
freia is offline  
post #13 of 47 Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by freia View Post
If you get the serial number that's stamped on the billet guard on that Passier, you can email Passier at passier@passier.com, and a very helpful, knowledgable gentleman will respond within 24-48 hours with the seat size, tree size, model number and manufacturing month and year. Note that about 80% of Passiers are a medium width. Between the wide gullet, short points, and the cutback pommel, they just seem to fit a decent range of shapes. The Passier I use on a shark-finned TB is a medium.

A friend of mine has a Comet from the late '60s (still a solid tree with supple leather - gotta love German craftsmanship)). I ride her horse in it, and I love it. It has lots of support without the blocks getting in the way of communicating with the horse. I know they still make the Comet, and I assume it's gone through a few design iterations over the decades, though.

BTW, my daily-rider Passier is a 1976 model. It's in mint condition and I paid $300 including shipping. The flocking was horrid, so by the time I had it reflocked and slathered it up with a tub of leatherbalm, I had put $600 into it, if that gives you a price reference point. I felt I got a good deal. The price on yours is or isn't a good deal depending on the year it was made and the condition. Without knowing either, that price is not at all bad for a Passier.
Awesome! Glad you have all good things to say :) I really hope this saddle works out. I will try to get the serial number
KSchingen is offline  
post #14 of 47 Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,275
• Horses: 0
Oh, and if it's an older Passier, don't expect a soft, cushy ride. The old Passiers are all about getting you close to the horse to feel every move. Not much padding there. They're not as hard as the Stubbens, though. I've never gotten a sore butt from any of my Passier A/Ps, or my friend's Passier Comet. I think it's because they put me in a good position and are shaped right for me. Just be aware that it probably won't be a softie, unless it's newer one.
freia is offline  
post #15 of 47 Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by freia View Post
Oh, and if it's an older Passier, don't expect a soft, cushy ride. The old Passiers are all about getting you close to the horse to feel every move. Not much padding there. They're not as hard as the Stubbens, though. I've never gotten a sore butt from any of my Passier A/Ps, or my friend's Passier Comet. I think it's because they put me in a good position and are shaped right for me. Just be aware that it probably won't be a softie, unless it's newer one.
I really am more concerned with the comfort for my horse than for me. If hes comfy and I end up with a sore rear end I'm perfectly ok with that
freia likes this.
KSchingen is offline  
post #16 of 47 Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
Passier got back to me really quickly! It is a 1996 model and I closed the deal last night 500 dollars shipped! Now for the waiting game! Hope the gullet and channel are wide enough and the cutback is as deep as it looked in the pics!
KSchingen is offline  
post #17 of 47 Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
Oh and it includes passier leathers and irons too :) do you happen to know if its wool flocking or something else? It didn't really matter at the time so I didn't ask..
KSchingen is offline  
post #18 of 47 Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,275
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSchingen View Post
Passier got back to me really quickly! It is a 1996 model and I closed the deal last night 500 dollars shipped! Now for the waiting game! Hope the gullet and channel are wide enough and the cutback is as deep as it looked in the pics!
$500 for a 1996????? Wow! Oh, I do hope it fits him nicely. Assuming it's in decent shape, that's a steal.

It's most likely wool flocked. You'll be able to tell right away when you get it.

Do post pics when you get it!
freia is offline  
post #19 of 47 Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
Would you mind reminding me how to get pictures on here? Lol I figured it out on my first post and have since then been at a loss for how I did it.
KSchingen is offline  
post #20 of 47 Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 55
• Horses: 0
Hastilow saddlery and M&M tack shop carry throwogoods in the US. Dover carries the T4's.
35391 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddle fitting...help! shellybean Horse Tack and Equipment 1 01-20-2013 09:53 PM
Saddle Fitting? Allaboutdreams Horse Tack and Equipment 18 09-18-2012 06:04 AM
Saddle fitting help! Saskia Horse Tack and Equipment 1 04-26-2012 03:36 AM
is my saddle not fitting jannette Horse Tack and Equipment 4 12-02-2011 08:44 PM
saddle fitting speedy da fish Horse Tack and Equipment 4 06-18-2010 09:57 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome