Need help fitting this OTTB with a saddle - Page 4 - The Horse Forum

 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
Ok ya'll what do you think about this one for him? Seller states "new 17" stubben Siegfried with medium/wide tree" It looks brand new and they are asking 1000. I think it could work for my guy but would be quite the investment.. Do you think it'd be a good fit for him?? And how do you guys like this kind of saddle? I do want to jump him eventually but nothing huge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stubben1.jpg (55.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg stubben 2.jpg (68.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg stubben3.jpg (47.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg stubben4.jpg (32.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg stubben5.jpg (59.0 KB, 38 views)
KSchingen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 47 Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,539
• Horses: 4
that might work. Your TB isn't as shark finned as mine is so perhaps you'll be lucky. I have yet to have a stubben fit mine. This however looks like an all-purpose saddle - aren't you looking for a close contact?
crimsonsky is offline  
post #33 of 47 Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
I would prefer one but am putting his needs ahead of mine. If I find an AP that he likes, it works for me
KSchingen is offline  
post #34 of 47 Old 04-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
When you say it pinched his shoulders, I hope you are placing the saddle behind his shoulders, not on them.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #35 of 47 Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 1,096
• Horses: 0
I suspect you'd need a flock adjust to get a good fit. With Seigfrieds that usually means nicking the two highest panel stitches to get enough wool in, but it shouldn't be difficult for a decent fitter.

Otherwise you'll end up using a pad of some sort (thicker in front).

You'll find the same problem with most saddles the correct width, because nowadays manufacturers flock
Them pretty soft. The Stubben's tree shape should be okay for the grey horse, though :)

PS. Stubben usually stamp their sizes on the top edge of the offside buckle guard. 30 or 31 equates to a MW

The battle that never ends is the battle of belief against unbelief - Thomas Carlyle

http://cavalrytales.wordpress.com

Last edited by unclearthur; 04-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.
unclearthur is offline  
post #36 of 47 Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
When you say it pinched his shoulders, I hope you are placing the saddle behind his shoulders, not on them.
Yes..I am aware how to put a saddle on a horse, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur View Post
I suspect you'd need a flock adjust to get a good fit. With Seigfrieds that usually means nicking the two highest panel stitches to get enough wool in, but it shouldn't be difficult for a decent fitter.

Otherwise you'll end up using a pad of some sort (thicker in front).

You'll find the same problem with most saddles the correct width, because nowadays manufacturers flock
Them pretty soft. The Stubben's tree shape should be okay for the grey horse, though :)

PS. Stubben usually stamp their sizes on the top edge of the offside buckle guard. 30 or 31 equates to a MW
I assume I'll need a good half pad with just about any saddle for him until he fills out. Hopefully this thing doesnt sell before I can get that much money together. Do you think if it doesnt work out it will hold its value and I can sell it again for the same price?
unclearthur likes this.
KSchingen is offline  
post #37 of 47 Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 1,096
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSchingen View Post


I assume I'll need a good half pad with just about any saddle for him until he fills out. Hopefully this thing doesnt sell before I can get that much money together. Do you think if it doesnt work out it will hold its value and I can sell it again for the same price?
I'd have thought so. It seems a good price although it's an older model. Stubbens seem to hold their value with fans in the UK, anyway, and lots of people love them :)

The battle that never ends is the battle of belief against unbelief - Thomas Carlyle

http://cavalrytales.wordpress.com
unclearthur is offline  
post #38 of 47 Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 3,411
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur View Post
I'd have thought so. It seems a good price although it's an older model. Stubbens seem to hold their value with fans in the UK, anyway, and lots of people love them :)

Do they? I think most people in the UK prefer english made saddles.
Clava is offline  
post #39 of 47 Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 1,096
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clava View Post
Do they? I think most people in the UK prefer english made saddles.

Stubben were one of the first readily available continental imports in the 60s and 70s and plenty of people still swear by them because they have a reputation for longevity.

I've always found Seigfrieds have hard seats, so I'm not a fan. And a lot of older saddles doing the rounds are too narrow for modern horses. If you've got the right shaped animal they seem to fit quite well, though :)

The battle that never ends is the battle of belief against unbelief - Thomas Carlyle

http://cavalrytales.wordpress.com
unclearthur is offline  
post #40 of 47 Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 50
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur View Post
Stubben were one of the first readily available continental imports in the 60s and 70s and plenty of people still swear by them because they have a reputation for longevity.

I've always found Seigfrieds have hard seats, so I'm not a fan. And a lot of older saddles doing the rounds are too narrow for modern horses. If you've got the right shaped animal they seem to fit quite well, though :)
Aren't they made to fit thoroughbreds?
KSchingen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddle fitting...help! shellybean Horse Tack and Equipment 1 01-20-2013 09:53 PM
Saddle Fitting? Allaboutdreams Horse Tack and Equipment 18 09-18-2012 06:04 AM
Saddle fitting help! Saskia Horse Tack and Equipment 1 04-26-2012 03:36 AM
is my saddle not fitting jannette Horse Tack and Equipment 4 12-02-2011 08:44 PM
saddle fitting speedy da fish Horse Tack and Equipment 4 06-18-2010 09:57 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome