Need help fitting this OTTB with a saddle - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Need help fitting this OTTB with a saddle

This is a discussion on Need help fitting this OTTB with a saddle within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • How to fit saddle ottb
  • Wide tree close contact saddle for ottb

Like Tree11Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-22-2013, 03:17 PM
  #31
Foal
Ok ya'll what do you think about this one for him? Seller states "new 17" stubben Siegfried with medium/wide tree" It looks brand new and they are asking 1000. I think it could work for my guy but would be quite the investment.. Do you think it'd be a good fit for him?? And how do you guys like this kind of saddle? I do want to jump him eventually but nothing huge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stubben1.jpg (55.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg stubben 2.jpg (68.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg stubben3.jpg (47.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg stubben4.jpg (32.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg stubben5.jpg (59.0 KB, 38 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-22-2013, 05:23 PM
  #32
Started
That might work. Your TB isn't as shark finned as mine is so perhaps you'll be lucky. I have yet to have a stubben fit mine. This however looks like an all-purpose saddle - aren't you looking for a close contact?
     
    04-22-2013, 05:39 PM
  #33
Foal
I would prefer one but am putting his needs ahead of mine. If I find an AP that he likes, it works for me
     
    04-22-2013, 05:48 PM
  #34
Showing
When you say it pinched his shoulders, I hope you are placing the saddle behind his shoulders, not on them.
     
    04-22-2013, 05:52 PM
  #35
Yearling
I suspect you'd need a flock adjust to get a good fit. With Seigfrieds that usually means nicking the two highest panel stitches to get enough wool in, but it shouldn't be difficult for a decent fitter.

Otherwise you'll end up using a pad of some sort (thicker in front).

You'll find the same problem with most saddles the correct width, because nowadays manufacturers flock
Them pretty soft. The Stubben's tree shape should be okay for the grey horse, though :)

PS. Stubben usually stamp their sizes on the top edge of the offside buckle guard. 30 or 31 equates to a MW
     
    04-22-2013, 06:10 PM
  #36
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
When you say it pinched his shoulders, I hope you are placing the saddle behind his shoulders, not on them.
Yes..I am aware how to put a saddle on a horse, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur    
I suspect you'd need a flock adjust to get a good fit. With Seigfrieds that usually means nicking the two highest panel stitches to get enough wool in, but it shouldn't be difficult for a decent fitter.

Otherwise you'll end up using a pad of some sort (thicker in front).

You'll find the same problem with most saddles the correct width, because nowadays manufacturers flock
Them pretty soft. The Stubben's tree shape should be okay for the grey horse, though :)

PS. Stubben usually stamp their sizes on the top edge of the offside buckle guard. 30 or 31 equates to a MW
I assume I'll need a good half pad with just about any saddle for him until he fills out. Hopefully this thing doesnt sell before I can get that much money together. Do you think if it doesnt work out it will hold its value and I can sell it again for the same price?
unclearthur likes this.
     
    04-23-2013, 03:22 AM
  #37
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSchingen    


I assume I'll need a good half pad with just about any saddle for him until he fills out. Hopefully this thing doesnt sell before I can get that much money together. Do you think if it doesnt work out it will hold its value and I can sell it again for the same price?
I'd have thought so. It seems a good price although it's an older model. Stubbens seem to hold their value with fans in the UK, anyway, and lots of people love them :)
     
    04-23-2013, 03:32 AM
  #38
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur    
I'd have thought so. It seems a good price although it's an older model. Stubbens seem to hold their value with fans in the UK, anyway, and lots of people love them :)

Do they? I think most people in the UK prefer english made saddles.
     
    04-23-2013, 08:37 AM
  #39
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clava    
Do they? I think most people in the UK prefer english made saddles.

Stubben were one of the first readily available continental imports in the 60s and 70s and plenty of people still swear by them because they have a reputation for longevity.

I've always found Seigfrieds have hard seats, so I'm not a fan. And a lot of older saddles doing the rounds are too narrow for modern horses. If you've got the right shaped animal they seem to fit quite well, though :)
     
    04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
  #40
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur    
Stubben were one of the first readily available continental imports in the 60s and 70s and plenty of people still swear by them because they have a reputation for longevity.

I've always found Seigfrieds have hard seats, so I'm not a fan. And a lot of older saddles doing the rounds are too narrow for modern horses. If you've got the right shaped animal they seem to fit quite well, though :)
Aren't they made to fit thoroughbreds?
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddle fitting...help! shellybean Horse Tack and Equipment 1 01-20-2013 09:53 PM
Saddle Fitting? Allaboutdreams Horse Tack and Equipment 18 09-18-2012 06:04 AM
Saddle fitting help! Saskia Horse Tack and Equipment 1 04-26-2012 03:36 AM
is my saddle not fitting jannette Horse Tack and Equipment 4 12-02-2011 08:44 PM
saddle fitting speedy da fish Horse Tack and Equipment 4 06-18-2010 09:57 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0