Odd kind of bit?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Odd kind of bit?

This is a discussion on Odd kind of bit? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Flute bit windsuck
  • Odd horse bits

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By faye

LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Odd kind of bit?

I was at the hardware store today looking at what little horse stuff they have (they had pure neatsfoot oil, I should've gotten it!). They had a leather mouth loose ring snaffle, and some other weird snaffle. It was a loose ring, but it was a straight bar. The mouthpiece was a hollow tube of metal that had holes in in, almost like a wooden flute, but metal and holes on both sides. I don't have pictures of it, but if I go there soon, I will try to get some up.

Any idea what kind of bit it is?
Sponsored Links
    02-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Sounds like a Windsucker bit to me. A simple bit because it's left on a stabled horse that windsucks. Apparently air leaks back through the holes and since the bit stops a horse completely closing its mouth it's harder to gulp air into its stomach.

Never had the cause to use one so I don't know if it works or not
    02-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a worming device to me. Put into bit and comes out in mouth so horse can't spit it out.
    02-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Green Broke
Sounds like a worming bit.

Very useful piece of kit. Put bit on, squirt in wormer, horse doesnt spit it out all over you!
    02-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Wouldn't a worming bit mouthpiece be solid at one end?

They're rubbish, anyway. Half the stuff stays in the mouthpiece and drips on your jacket when you take it out :(
    02-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Worming bits are almost always plastic, have one closed end and just a couple of holes, if not just one. That sounds like a winsucking bit to me, like Unclearther stated. Definitely not a worming bit.
    02-14-2013, 02:37 AM
Green Broke
Uncleararthur, you are supposed to flush them through with water before taking them out of the horses mouth.
I personaly flush them with apple juice.
unclearthur likes this.
    02-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by faye    
uncleararthur, you are supposed to flush them through with water before taking them out of the horses mouth.
I personaly flush them with apple juice.

You've a lot more patience than I

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of bug is this? AndersonEquestrian Horse Health 14 10-04-2012 09:30 PM
What kind of bit is this? Wallaby Horse Tack and Equipment 11 03-09-2012 02:01 PM
What kind of names your kids have or what kind of names you'd love to give them? TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 48 02-13-2012 08:43 PM
What kind of bit is this? MandiMal Horse Tack and Equipment 11 11-23-2011 09:13 PM
what kind of bit is this? lilkitty90 Horse Tack and Equipment 14 10-09-2010 09:58 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0