Okay guys.. I need opinions!
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Okay guys.. I need opinions!

This is a discussion on Okay guys.. I need opinions! within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Black stirrup irons ok for aqha
  • "black stirrup irons"

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-08-2011, 09:56 PM
  #1
Yearling
Exclamation Okay guys.. I need opinions!

Alright, this is mostly for AQHA competitors, not so much USEF competitors (sorry!)

So, over the past few years I've seen black stirrup irons become more and more popular. I was thinking about getting them until I read an article in the AQHA Journal on the AQHA World Show. It was asking one of the judges about the Amateur Equitation Over Fences winner for 2009. The judge (I believe it to be Gary Duffy? I'm not sure...) said that he did not like th black stirrups because they hid your heel, and he'd prefer to see regular silver stirrups because they show your heel more, which is part of your equitation. I showed to him last weekend and got 1st in the equitation under him. I have these kind of stirrups:
Dover Saddlery | Horse-S Jointed Stirrup Irons.
(it relieves the pressure off of my knees, I cannot ride in regular fillis stirrups even though I wish I could..)

What are your opinions on this? I was thinking about getting them, but if it honestly doesn't make a huge difference, I'll save myself the 200$+ and keep my stirrup irons.

Another opinion:

Shadbellies? I LOVE the look. You see it all the time at the major AQHA shows like the Congress and the World show. I have never made it to the finals of the AQHYA show, but this will be my 3rd year. Do you think I should get one? I'm becoming a hunter fanatic and just love all the hunter traditions.

Thank you for your opinions!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
  #2
Weanling
If what you have is working and there's no problem with it, I'd stick to it...don't fix what isn't broke!
     
    02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlalriiee    
If what you have is working and there's no problem with it, I'd stick to it...don't fix what isn't broke!
hmm.. good point!
     
    02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
  #4
Green Broke
I have only ever seen shadbellies at championship type events, not a regular show.
     
    02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetsAB    
I have only ever seen shadbellies at championship type events, not a regular show.
That's what I mean, and at hunter classics at some (very VERY few) AQHA shows. At the Gold Coast, they had the Collection hunter Classic where they wore shadbellies.
     
    02-08-2011, 10:30 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Why get one just yet? Unless you are going to be showing in something like that, then stay with your regular jacket. Going to be a small downer for a second, but you don't know for sure if you will qualify for the finals, correct?

A shadbelly is a formal look, just like a top hat and tails for dressage.
     
    02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetsAB    
Why get one just yet? Unless you are going to be showing in something like that, then stay with your regular jacket.

A shadbelly is a formal look, just like a top hat and tails for dressage.
Okay! I doubt my parents would ever go for it anyway.. It would be something I would pay for myself. We never do the classics anyway, and even if I do make it back to the finals, I don't think wearing it would make me or break me.
     
    02-08-2011, 10:36 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjump    
Okay! I doubt my parents would ever go for it anyway.. It would be something I would pay for myself. We never do the classics anyway, and even if I do make it back to the finals, I don't think wearing it would make me or break me.
If you were regularly competing in classics and the like, then I would say go for it. If not, its a pretty big expense, unless you could find one that was used, for to be used just once or twice.

And if you were the only person in a class of 30 without a shadbelly, it would be noticeable! But for one class....I would try to see if one was available to borrow.
     
    02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetsAB    
If you were regularly competing in classics and the like, then I would say go for it. If not, its a pretty big expense, unless you could find one that was used, for to be used just once or twice.

And if you were the only person in a class of 30 without a shadbelly, it would be noticeable! But for one class....I would try to see if one was available to borrow.
In the finals, theres only 15. And probably 3 wore shadbellies, and placed in the top ten. One won the whole thing. But, she won it 2 times before too, lovely horse and a great rider. I don't think I'll get one, thanks for the input!
     
    02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
  #10
Super Moderator
I thought shadbellies were worn in dressage?
     

Tags
aqha, hunter, jumper, opinions

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bye guys! EventersBabe General Off Topic Discussion 2 05-30-2010 12:45 PM
What do you guys think? Trinity Horse Pictures 12 05-20-2010 12:46 PM
BLM - who's really the bad guys anyway? ZiggyKlepto Horse Talk 4 09-26-2009 11:36 PM
Hey there guys... Small_Town_Girl Other Pets 2 10-19-2008 12:58 PM
Hey guys Miss Katie Meet the Community 7 03-11-2008 11:41 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0