Opinions on support boots?
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Opinions on support boots?

This is a discussion on Opinions on support boots? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Do splint boots work for horses
  • What boots can i wear with splints

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
  #1
Foal
Opinions on support boots?

I have a 3 yr old gelding whom is being started under saddle (he was started before I got him I am finding out, but he has had atleast 6-7 months off), we are not doing any cantering work, only walk trot whoa turns, trail work ect... Would you recomend any support boots for him? Also I have a 18 yr old Rocky who I trail ride and do some ring work and small gymkanahs (we are NOT fast, but have fun lol), would you reccomend boots for him? I have splint boots, but I have heard boots can cause more harm then good...whats your opinion???
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-14-2010, 12:42 AM
  #2
Yearling
You can use them if you think they can benefit from them but remember that it gets quite hot under the boots and it can actually get hot enough to cause tissue damage.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    10-14-2010, 06:48 AM
  #3
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridgefarm    
I have a 3 yr old gelding whom is being started under saddle (he was started before I got him I am finding out, but he has had atleast 6-7 months off), we are not doing any cantering work, only walk trot whoa turns, trail work ect... Would you recomend any support boots for him? Also I have a 18 yr old Rocky who I trail ride and do some ring work and small gymkanahs (we are NOT fast, but have fun lol), would you reccomend boots for him? I have splint boots, but I have heard boots can cause more harm then good...whats your opinion???
That's the first time I hear about it ever! I use splint boots EVERY time I work my horses in ring, flat work just fronts, jumping - all 4 legs. Frankly for just walk/trot and trails I wouldn't recommend any support boots at all, and highly doubt spring boots are needed. I put mine on because I do lateral work too, and I don't want them to hit the bone.
     
    10-14-2010, 06:57 AM
  #4
Weanling
If you do decide to get some, I would look into SMB boots.
     
    10-14-2010, 07:40 AM
  #5
Green Broke
With my youngster when ever we do any work he is booted all round. You never know when a youngster is going to do something silly and end up knocking themselves.

I use Premier equine tendon support boots for his fronts and bog standard brushing boots for his hinds. I've never heard of splint boots? Maybe it is a difference in terminology over the pond, can someone stick a picture up of some splint boots.
     
    10-14-2010, 07:55 AM
  #6
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye    
With my youngster when ever we do any work he is booted all round. You never know when a youngster is going to do something silly and end up knocking themselves.

I use Premier equine tendon support boots for his fronts and bog standard brushing boots for his hinds. I've never heard of splint boots? Maybe it is a difference in terminology over the pond, can someone stick a picture up of some splint boots.
That's what I use: Dover Saddlery | Woof All-Purpose Horse Boots. It doesn't support, BUT protects.
     
    10-14-2010, 07:58 AM
  #7
Green Broke
Kitten_val if those are splint boots then they are known by me as brushing boots.

These are what I use on his fronts: (top image)
Horse Rugs | Horse Coolers | Turnouts | Premier Equine International
     
    10-14-2010, 08:06 AM
  #8
Weanling
My horses have had many different types of boots. (IGNORE MY EQU IN THAT JUMPING PICTURE, it's like 4 years old) Here are them wearing splint boots. :) Also looking back now, those polo wraps aren't done so great. But anywho, for western I use SMBS (game shows, trails etc), english flatting I use splint boots or polos, jumping I use open fronts and polos. I never work my horse without support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n663482501_1820809_3210.jpg (60.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg untitled119.jpg (50.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg untitled278.jpg (47.7 KB, 71 views)
     
    10-14-2010, 08:07 AM
  #9
Weanling
Those aren't splint boots! :) These are splint boots..
Splint boots image by cookietime11 on Photobucket
     
    10-14-2010, 08:51 AM
  #10
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by countmystrides    
Those aren't splint boots! :) These are splint boots..
Splint boots image by cookietime11 on Photobucket
Other wise known as brushing boots. I use them on my horses hind legs, I use the Sports boots on the fronts though to give his legs a bit more protection and support.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do i need leg support?? riacoe Horse Tack and Equipment 5 07-19-2010 12:50 AM
Magnetic Boots - Your experiences/opinions? Strange Horse Health 3 05-09-2010 12:22 AM
Boots, boots, & more boots. Ariat lacers, cowboy boots, rubber boots; Mens/kids/women Seattle Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 12-09-2009 07:32 PM
opinions on field boots - zip or pull? PoohLP Horse Tack and Equipment 4 07-29-2009 11:46 AM
Destiny Support Boots cherriebark Horse Tack and Equipment 1 04-02-2009 01:47 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0