Pulling the reins out of my hands?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Pulling the reins out of my hands?

This is a discussion on Pulling the reins out of my hands? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Horse that pulls on hands
  • Horse pulling on reins

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-13-2009, 08:14 PM
  #1
Yearling
Pulling the reins out of my hands?

I put this in this section because I realise this is a bit problem not a training problem.

Abby has been putting her head down, which is pulling the reins out of my hands? In Mums words 'it seems like she is trying to get the bit out of her mouth'. We have her in a Tom Thumb (Korsteel Tom Thumb Bit) which is what the prevouis owners trained her in. I have had it fitted by some experienced, I clean it after every ride.

I have light hands, I'm not pulling at her mouth in anyway. Should I try her in a O-ring snaffle? I have asked the owners of a tack shop what they thought and they said that the Tom Thumb is just like a O-ring snaffle but it has bars there is stop it from going through there mouth.

We were going so good too!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-13-2009, 08:19 PM
  #2
Green Broke
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????
You have been seriously miseducated, and your Mum is too. If a horse was evading the bit, it would be throwing it's head in the air and opening it's mouth. And a Tomb thumb is a VERY harsh bit, and is NOTHING like an O-ring! An O-ring is a very soft, easy bit, a Tomb Thumb is harsh and like a phelem. I would try a full cheeck snaffle
     
    05-13-2009, 08:34 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyBlues    
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????
You have been seriously miseducated, and your Mum is too. If a horse was evading the bit, it would be throwing it's head in the air and opening it's mouth. And a Tomb thumb is a VERY harsh bit, and is NOTHING like an O-ring! An O-ring is a very soft, easy bit, a Tomb Thumb is harsh and like a phelem. I would try a full cheeck snaffle

I never said anything about Abby evading the bit! I said she was putting her head down 'pulling the reins out of my hands'. I'm guessing the Tom Thumb you are thinking of is the american style? The one I am using is a snaffle not a levelage bit, have a look at the link.
     
    05-13-2009, 08:36 PM
  #4
Trained
Have you eliminated any pain? What do you do when she pulls the reins out of your hands?

She may have learned it's an easy way to get out of work.
     
    05-13-2009, 08:40 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove    
Have you eliminated any pain? What do you do when she pulls the reins out of your hands?

She may have learned it's an easy way to get out of work.

Yes, I have had someone check her over for pain. I squeeze her to keep walking forward, and try not to put more pressure on her mouth.

Am I doing something wrong?
     
    05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyChester    
I never said anything about Abby evading the bit!
You said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyChester    
Abby has been putting her head down, which is pulling the reins out of my hands? In Mums words 'it seems like she is trying to get the bit out of her mouth'.
So your mum said it.

Anyhow, that is not the tom thumb that comes to mind. It is a snaffle, no leverage.

When I rode the horse at CARD, he was very used to moving away from the bit, due to harsh hands previously. How long have you been working with your guy?
     
    05-13-2009, 08:47 PM
  #7
Trained
That is an english tom thumb very differant from the american one.
     
    05-13-2009, 08:49 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Yea, that isn't the regualar Tomb Thumb, it still looks harshish so I would go to an eggbutt
     
    05-13-2009, 08:50 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple    
You said this:


So your mum said it.

Anyhow, that is not the tom thumb that comes to mind. It is a snaffle, no leverage.

When I rode the horse at CARD, he was very used to moving away from the bit, due to harsh hands previously. How long have you been working with your guy?
I apologize I did say it, but she does have her mouth open. I have been working with her for around 2 months now.
     
    05-13-2009, 08:51 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyBlues    
Yea, that isn't the regualar Tomb Thumb, it still looks harshish so I would go to an eggbutt
How does it look harsh? The metal bars help with turning and stop the bit from slipping through there mouth.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Draw reins, side reins, chambon, de gogue...please help Duskylove Horse Tack and Equipment 14 07-06-2012 10:22 PM
jumping in hands? huntergrl Horses for Sale 8 08-13-2009 10:01 AM
Every medium I can get my hands on! masatisan Horse Artwork 4 02-22-2009 01:26 PM
Bit playing and pulling on the reins.... Painted1 Horse Training 4 02-01-2008 04:31 PM
Look ma- No hands! kristy Horse Videos 8 01-31-2008 12:43 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0